Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Service Manager in Sparks NV Threw Me Out!

I bought a 2019 Georgetown from RV Country during a show in Sparks, NV in September. Nice price!

The trim piece at the bottom of the steps was cracked so they told me they would have to order a replacement and have it installed at their new RV Country dealership in Sparks. No problem. I asked the service writer when my appointment would be. She said November 18. Well, ok, no problem as it wasn't essential.

Meanwhile I drive the Georgetown to my home and the next morning oil all over the asphalt! I call the RV Country dealership and was explained that was a Ford issue. I spoke with Forest River and they quickly gave me the proper contact for Ford. Ford came through like a champ! They paid for a town over the mountains to Roseville, California (because no authorized Ford locations in Reno/Sparks) and they paid for all engine repairs (it was due to a $8 gasket). I had them put on additional sway bars, Summo springs and a Safe-T stabilizer because all of my dealings with RV Country in Sparks, NV were raising my spider sense.

So last Monday I take the Georgetown in for the stair trim piece only to find out 3 days later the wrong color had been ordered. I became a bit frustrated and the next thing I know BANG the Service Manager approaches me and tells me to get out and to never come back! I was shocked and looked around and all the staff had their heads down. All along the RV Country Sparks location had been blaming their company for having the shows and being short staffed in a new facility only made it worse.

Later that day I called the General Manager for the Sparks RV Country and calmly explained what happened and that I am 67 years old and have never, ever been thrown out of any place and to please just have the trim piece shipped to me. It's a 10 minute job with 5 screws. He called me back to say the piece has been ordered (maybe). I ask him about the Service Manager and to my surprise he simply said the Service Manager doesn't want me as a customer.

So where do I go now for my 2019 Georgetown warranty work?
Summo springs front and rear
RFoxUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #2

I’d sure like to read the missing parts of the story that fit between seeing the wrong color part at their facility and getting thrown out of their facility
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFoxUSMC View Post
I bought a 2019 Georgetown from RV Country during a show in Sparks, NV in September. Nice price!

The trim piece at the bottom of the steps was cracked so they told me they would have to order a replacement and have it installed at their new RV Country dealership in Sparks. No problem. I asked the service writer when my appointment would be. She said November 18. Well, ok, no problem as it wasn't essential.

Meanwhile I drive the Georgetown to my home and the next morning oil all over the asphalt! I call the RV Country dealership and was explained that was a Ford issue. I spoke with Forest River and they quickly gave me the proper contact for Ford. Ford came through like a champ! They paid for a town over the mountains to Roseville, California (because no authorized Ford locations in Reno/Sparks) and they paid for all engine repairs (it was due to a $8 gasket). I had them put on additional sway bars, Summo springs and a Safe-T stabilizer because all of my dealings with RV Country in Sparks, NV were raising my spider sense.

So last Monday I take the Georgetown in for the stair trim piece only to find out 3 days later the wrong color had been ordered. I became a bit frustrated and the next thing I know BANG the Service Manager approaches me and tells me to get out and to never come back! I was shocked and looked around and all the staff had their heads down. All along the RV Country Sparks location had been blaming their company for having the shows and being short staffed in a new facility only made it worse.

Later that day I called the General Manager for the Sparks RV Country and calmly explained what happened and that I am 67 years old and have never, ever been thrown out of any place and to please just have the trim piece shipped to me. It's a 10 minute job with 5 screws. He called me back to say the piece has been ordered (maybe). I ask him about the Service Manager and to my surprise he simply said the Service Manager doesn't want me as a customer.

What was the level of ... "I became a bit frustrated"?
I'm not sure we got the entire story in your post.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I’d sure like to read the missing parts of the story that fit between seeing the wrong color part at their facility and getting thrown out of their facility
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

"Let's just say that if a tree falls in the forest you'll get three stories: yours, mine and the tree's." - Nicky Flippers
Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

"Let's just say that if a tree falls in the forest you'll get three stories: yours, mine and the tree's." - Nicky Flippers
I agree... but... the OP came here asking for help and we really cannot give that UNLESS we know the entire story... the Paul Harvey version... not the Cliff Notes version!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Understood to your and the other's request for more info.

History of frustrations with RV Country Sparks - Service writer never answered any of my emails on service questions. When I was at the counter one day I showed my phone emails to her and asked if this was her email address. She blinked and said I just I guess I didn't get them, we've had computer problems.

Piece that was needed I was told wasn't in during one of my prior visits and then someone comes out and said oh, we found it in a corner but I'd have to wait for my appointment before it could be put on.

Three days before the kick out visit I had brought it in for the piece to be installed and pointed out some piping coming off the drivers seat and a loose sliding shelf for warranty work. After calling the dealer two days after I dropped it off they said they only had one tech that could do the work on the piece. I mentioned it was only five screws and a 10 minute job. The Service Manager then called me to say the piece was the wrong color! At that point I shared fine and the correct color was being ordered, I'll just come get the rig.

When I walked in to get my RV's keys I asked him if he had started a warranty claim on the piping and sliding shelf? He said I can't remember everything customers tell me in a manner that made me feel like my concerns weren't important. So I asked him then why do we even talk? That is when he snapped.
Summo springs front and rear
RFoxUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #7

I would like to refer you to the “Mondays at the tire shop thread”

On of the best things I’ve learned is the customer is not always right and how to be a good customer to get what you want and ensure a smooth long term relationship when it was required.

Lots of times this requires patience and an understanding of the fact im dealing with low paid, minimally educated and perhaps inexperienced employees with varying degrees of motivation. I have been known to bring them lunch to reward good service. Some times this requires i step back and my wife sweet talks them.

It sounds like you may have burned the only bridge you had out there and will have to travel the mountains to another provider.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #8

Solution: bring some goodies for everyone and let them know you apologize and we’re not yourself due to...mother-in-law moved in or some other understandable stressor and ask for a clean slate...be the bigger man.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #9
Noob

This often works wonders!
Quote:
Solution: bring some goodies for everyone and let them know you apologize and we’re not yourself due to...mother-in-law moved in or some other understandable stressor and ask for a clean slate...be the bigger man.
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #10

I was a Service Manager for a large shop, 25 Technicians-50 Employees overall, for 10 years. I spent a good portion of each day dealing with unhappy customers and trying to figure out how to keep their business and make them happy again. Happy customers keep giving you business and sending their friends to you. It is not Rocket Science. Not once in 10 years did I tell someone that I did not want there business and to get out. I think it is they who owe you an apology not the other way around. It may actually be a blessing that you do not have to deal with them any longer.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

I have dealt with unreasonable people in my 37 years owning a Foodservice Distribution Company in Virginia. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and apologize to recover the relationship. Some of my best relationships were after a blow-up after I apologized. Hope you can work it out.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #12

In most businesses there are Service Managers, General Managers, and Owners.

If one feels the Service Manager is out of line, and the General Manager is just automatically taking their side, time to ask the owner if they really want to loose a customer.

Owners often have a different view of the Universe than the people that just work in their business.

I was essentially told the same thing back when I was waiting to get a transmission repaired in my newly purchased Mustang. I merely walked into the Owner's office and asked if he we could both talk to the Service Manager. He joined me and I asked the Service Manager if he could repeat what he said to me in front of the Owner

End result was that the part my transmission needed showed up the next day and my car was fixed by that evening. This was after a month's delay btw.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #13

Many people on this forum have had good luck with independent RV repair shops. You dont need to get it repaired at an RV dealer. Maybe you can find one in hour area that will work out better.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

We have an RV Dealer here that has been know to tell customers "we don't need your business, we already got your money once" and show them the door. Yet, they still have a very busy place. I found this out because I was the general manager at an RV Dealer about 60 miles away and had many owners come and beg me to do their work and never once did they act nasty to us after I took them in. Sometimes it is just hard to figure out people.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #15

I'd look elsewhere for service even if it was out of my immediate area and forget about trying to get on their good side again. Once the trust is lost, it's lost. Just my 2 cents.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #16

It would be a cold day you know where before I would EVER have anything to do with a business that has people treating someone like that. I don't beg people to take my money.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFoxUSMC View Post
Did you buy an extended warranty from the dealership or are you referring to the Forest River warranty? In either case, you could call Forest River and ask who near you repairs your rig under warranty.

Or do as suggested and call a mobile rv mechanic who honors the warranty on individual components.

Hopefully, you won't need any more repairs anytime soon.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Me too!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Did you buy an extended warranty from the dealership or are you referring to the Forest River warranty? In either case, you could call Forest River and ask who near you repairs your rig under warranty.

Or do as suggested and call a mobile rv mechanic who honors the warranty on individual components.

Hopefully, you won't need any more repairs anytime soon.
Or an independent RV shop. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. The mobile tech or RV shop should know how to get approvals.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Me too!
I hope you did read the "rest of the story" in post #6 considering that your post is #18

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service