Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Signing papers before walk through

We are in the process of buying an RV and dealer wants us to sign ownership/buyer papers before we walk through the unit. My question is, is this normal procedures when buying a new RV? Your help is appreciated
thanks
svrcwila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

Sounds like rv direct or rvw? We bought from rvw and e-signed papers before driving there to pickup our fiver. Didn't have any problems. I would not take possession or have money over till pdi is done though.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Explore USA RV Super Center in Texas
Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #4

Does RVW mean RV warehouse?
thanks
Old 10-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #5

Rv wholesalers
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

We expressed our concern about signing paperwork prior to walk through and they have called us and have agreed to our terms to complete the deal after our inspection of the RV. So hopefully we will be the proud owners of the Flagstaff V-lite 30WFKSS within the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

If you sign paperwork before PDI and it needs any repairs it is yours and problems go through warranty. Sign after PDI and all work is done while RV is the dealers problem. If not fixed you can walk away. Just my opinion.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

Do the walk through. Note everything wrong. Have Dealer fix everything before you sign. When Dealer is done with the work, do another walk through. If satisfied, then sign paper work.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Do the walk through. Note everything wrong. Have Dealer fix everything before you sign. When Dealer is done with the work, do another walk through. If satisfied, then sign paper work.
X2. You would be amazed how fast those things get addressed when their waiting on your check.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
X2. You would be amazed how fast those things get addressed when their waiting on your check.
X2. Don't sign anything or hand over the check until you're 100% satisfied.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
X2. Don't sign anything or hand over the check until you're 100% satisfied.
Well said...
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
fx2

We did not sign anything until after the walk through. I would tell the dealer you want the walk through and any repairs in writing before signing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc343 View Post
If you sign paperwork before PDI and it needs any repairs it is yours and problems go through warranty. Sign after PDI and all work is done while RV is the dealers problem. If not fixed you can walk away. Just my opinion.
Good point and suggestion.

I signed and paid for the TT prior to the walk-through. There were no issues during my PDI. But from what I have read here on the forum this not always the case.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #14

Some make you do that. It is not abnormal. Just a paperwork thing. I am sure you would be fine.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

Uuh oh! I say no sign w/out walkthrough. We bought open Range 291RLS THEN...went & sat & chilled in it @ our dealership since we were taking possession March 2015. My husband then proceeds to take a walk around OUR new trailer. I then hear "we're not buying this" then called me out. He showed me damage to slider. Owner woman comes out from garage where parked saying "oh we're going to fix it" low & behold papers were torn up & we're the new owners of a Flagstaff. Seems an employee hit it after we left the week before - salesman said he still didn't know whole story so...I say inspect/walkthrough before!!! Salesman forgot to tell us, finance forgot to tell us & owner forgot hummmmm! Yes...it could have been fixed, but who knows what damage to mechanism of slider.
antandjoettrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

We've never before, and never will hand over any money before a thorough inspection, AND everything is fixed, provided it's not too many things. Only thing we've ever given prior to inspection, was a $500 or a $1000 nonrefundable deposit for special orders. And even then, it's cheaper to walk away minus that bit of money than to deal with a pile of issues. Case in point, the special ordered Heartland we left sitting on the lot prior to the Silverback. Major issues including a delam back wall. Of course, the Silverback bit me too. Those issues didn't surface till a month later. Can't win for losing sometimes.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #17

Yea agree, but the week before last we purchased the Open Range TT all inspected by us etc. - our deposit (2,000) was f/completing transaction of purchase & putting financing in order. Unbeknownst to us...an employee was to hit the slider after we left (so we found out) who would even imagine a dealer would not only not call us during the week to tell us, but...brought us in for completion of purchase without someone i.e. (salesman, finance or owner) telling us saying... "by the way...instead they have you close the deal. Hummmm now I'm thinking I did get the "get the ins" call. Maybe we should have walked at that point feeling they were deceitful, but...they had our $ & we saw the Flagstaff there (as my husband showed his temper, I took 3 ex strength Excedrin & toured trailers finding the 832IKBS) end of story - everything happens for a reason. I just feel I probably should have done more homework switching mfgr. Thanks!
antandjoettrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Live and learn. It's good to post the stories though as it always helps others. I have quite the list of stories myself. Sounds like me and my wife. She's the calm one. I know some have found good honest dealers to deal with. I've been to some of those mentioned on this site, and axed them quick. But, I'm very difficult to deal with and hard to impress. My daughter knows more about these things than some salesmen, and has embarrassed a few. My wife's the same way. My wife grilled the owner of the last dealer on the Silverback, and he pretty much left us alone for our own inspection and PDI. The only dealer I did like, closed there doors. So, we're in a pickle if we want a new one, hence the great debate on what to do next.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Nev
Nev

It doesn't make sense signing anything until you inspect the trailer. no different than buying a car. Any dealer that insists on this, would best to go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Nev
Nev

I bought a 2014 28 RKS Avenger in May. I negotiated a deal, inspected then signed agreements.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums