Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Everyone is quick to throw Raper under the bus without knowing ANY details of what happened here, if anything. A lot of speculating, but the OP has never given details, if there are any I would like to hear the story. Until then I don't believe the OP's story.
The OP's story is very concise, and they are just telling about their experience with the dealership.

If you are talking about Indycoltsguy problem, he states in post #11 about his, but he isn't the OP in this forum thread.

I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things. The glass is always half empty. And cracked. And I just cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #62

I am the OP for this thread, and I believe, as wmtire wrote, I was very concise with my poor experience at this dealer. Others have obviously found my thread and either posted positive or negative comments about their experience. Indycoltsguy (GO COLTS!) is expressing his experience with the same dealer. There is not one ounce of untruth with post #1. I told it like it was... I cannot and will not speak for any other posts.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #63

Tom Raper has very good hot dogs & pop! The owner owns & drives a Military Tank. I have been to thier Rallys,I have done business with them. No negative feelings! Youroo!!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #64

I have to chime in here. We have now bought two campers from Tom Raper in Richmond. Both of our experiences have been fantastic. I think it is unfair to just start claiming as some people have without any proof that this is a bad dealer. Two, maybe three people so far have offered their stories and i hope everything works out well for them and they should provide updates as to how their stories ended and what the dealer did for them in the end. This is a dealer that services thousands a year, only a few people that have bad experiences i think is a pretty good ratio. I work with the general public everyday and i'm not saying the people here are wrong in what they are posting but what i am saying the average person must be leery when reading bad reviews as there is a lot of "undiagnosed mental illness" in the general population. As far as the people saying someone should go out and play hardball with them right away, well, that type of behavior used to work but it just doesn't anymore. Yellers and screamers are a dime a dozen, nice people are more rare. Like i said that hardball mentality used to work but then again there were far less people on the planet too.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My favorite quote, and my wife and I use it almost daily. "You catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar." Also, what is determined as a bad experience by some, may be pleasant to others. I always go in with a low expectation, that way I either get what I expect, or I'm pleasantly surprised. I do have a very friendly manner about me, that, in way, it's easy for me to manipulate people into getting what I want. Now granted, this usually only works on people who are, supposedly, in the business of helping/serving people. A kind, but direct, request will generally wield itself. There is alot of information to absorb on receiving day, and since this was the OP's first time, I believe they should have had someone with them the entire time, IMO. As for me, I'm good with someone coming and going, this way I have time to mull around and check things out, without feeling like I'm wasting someone's time.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac
indycoltsguy -

On the Tom Raper website, the "About" tab, Ed Unger's cell phone number is listed. If you'd like, we could all call him tomorrow on your behalf. Somewhere around call #25, he might find his checkbook!
Awesome!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #67

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy View Post
I spoke with Ed Unger the GM today and Mike the Sales Manager. They both told me they were not selling me the units. I asked why all the sudden is there a problem, they both said we know you signed a purchase agreement but we not doing the deal. We figured it wrong. We are the largest in the Midwest go ahead and sue us. You will run out of money before us.
We are crushed.
You might be "crushed", but I think you're also very lucky. That will probably take a while to sink in. Imagine having to deal with these guys about repairs, etc. Sorry for your disappointment.

2013 Flagstaff 21FBRS
2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS on order
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelochi View Post
I have to chime in here. We have now bought two campers from Tom Raper in Richmond. Both of our experiences have been fantastic. I think it is unfair to just start claiming as some people have without any proof that this is a bad dealer. Two, maybe three people so far have offered their stories and i hope everything works out well for them and they should provide updates as to how their stories ended and what the dealer did for them in the end. This is a dealer that services thousands a year, only a few people that have bad experiences i think is a pretty good ratio. I work with the general public everyday and i'm not saying the people here are wrong in what they are posting but what i am saying the average person must be leery when reading bad reviews as there is a lot of "undiagnosed mental illness" in the general population. As far as the people saying someone should go out and play hardball with them right away, well, that type of behavior used to work but it just doesn't anymore. Yellers and screamers are a dime a dozen, nice people are more rare. Like i said that hardball mentality used to work but then again there were far less people on the planet too.
Agreed. You need to evaluate Tom Raper good & bad but also against other dealerships. I happen to live in the Cincinnati area where Tom Raper has a dealership. Just for curiosity sake, I typed the following into Google:

- Tom Raper reviews
- (dealer name # 2) reviews
- (dealer name # 3) reviews

Without question, the page for Tom Raper stands out as being remarkably negative while the other 2 dealers are fairly positive. Actually, if you're bored & want to be entertained, type Tom Raper reviews into Google & read some of the stuff.

Whether my methodology is right or wrong & for what it's worth, I did the same exact thing when we purchased our new class C this summer. Tom Raper was the closest dealer to us carrying what we wanted. But, based on their reputation on the internet - along with that of other dealers who carried what we wanted - we choose to go elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy View Post
Awesome!!!
indycoltsguy - So did you get the refund of your deposit money or not?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
indycoltsguy - So did you get the refund of your deposit money or not?

Yeah, what he said-- did you ask for your money back or not??

FYI, I bought my current trailer from Tom Raper.
They had brought it to an RV show in Louisville and as soon as
we saw it we wanted it. One reason I wanted it was because it
is 6" narrower than almost all trailers made today.
They wouldn't leave it at the show for me so I had to drive all the
way to their place to pick it up.
It was a decent experience but we really felt lost and caught in their
large "get the paperwork and get them out the door" machine.
I never saw my salesman after the RV show here in town.
I never went back for any service-- it's full day just to drive
there and back.

One thing they did which was small potatoes in the larger
scheme still didn't sit well with me.
They charged me for 2 full tanks of LP.
I said, "I'm trading in a trailer with full tanks, don't charge me
for that" . They pretty much refused. They had these little add
ons that they were going to stick you with and those came after
the price for the trailer.
Kind of like that "dealer prep and transportation" that car dealers
will stick you with.
It was only about $30 but it made me mad and they shouldn't
have done it. Little things like that can loose you friends and
sales later.....

I won't buy from a dealer that far away again, but I don't feel we
were treated badly. I just "never felt the love" that you often get
from a much smaller dealer. Sometimes bigger isn't better.
YMMV.

2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Reese dual cam hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote