Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #101
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy View Post
Sorry I miss read your comment. I did sign the purchase agreement and put half down on the unit as a special order. The state attorney general has ruled it's a valid contract
Go with the camera crew and go for both units.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #102
Site Team

1. In the end it's you that will need to live with the outcome of the decision. Clearly this is a family decision.
  2. If you average out the contract price + new price of 2nd unit how does the deal look?
  3. With that said, I would like to share my two cents. I personally would do anything to avoid them getting a dime of my hard earn money - great deal or not. I don't like how they do business and don't think they should be rewarded with a sale. I would also worry about after the sale. If they will not honor a sales contract that they agreed to in writing why would they honor anything else or do what is right? History has a way of repeating itself.
What should you do? See #1.

PS
While we might take different paths on this matter I must say I do admire that you are fighting back. And once again, do what is in your best interest.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #103
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Details matter. In that case, you could push the issue, and should win. But at what cost? How long before you get your units? What condition will they be in when you get them?(dealer PDI may be lacking) Will they be what you actually ordered?(they could substitute and delay process) I would definitely have a backup dealer available for service. Your price seems to be a good deal below the norm, and a mistake had to of been made in the process. One approach would be to use this to your advantage and show your dealer you are willing to compromise a bit(if you are sure you have them over a barrel) and negotiate a deal, still to your likeing, yet giving them some credibility. OR, stick it to them, get your units, and run.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #104

The Attorney General has ruled it a valid contract so does the contract have 2 units in it? If it does than it is valid contact for 2 not 1.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #105

You could probably win both deals but forget any goodwill, service or warranty work, your name will stink.

I would buy just the one, buy the second from a reputable dealer but on the condition that they will service and do warranty work on both units. They may do that if they want your business and understand what has transpired at Rapers.

Just an idea.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #106

My RV purchase, how shall I put this to be nice, a real effing train wreck. I, stupidity played along till I had enough. On this call to the factory I said, this is retuned for print, I am tired of playing games, I want to talk to the guy that signs the checks. I should of gone off the deep end four weeks earlier, it would of paid off in the long run.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE44460 View Post
My RV purchase, how shall I put this to be nice, a real effing train wreck. I, stupidity played along till I had enough. On this call to the factory I said, this is retuned for print, I am tired of playing games, I want to talk to the guy that signs the checks. I should of gone off the deep end four weeks earlier, it would of paid off in the long run.
Huh? Sorry, I don't get what you are saying at all.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #108

I gotta tell you as much as I think you got a great deal, & I admire you for trying to hold them to it, I just have this feeling that you will regret buying from them in the long run. You got them. That's why they're trying to meet you in the middle. But make no mistake that they're not happy about it. That said, unfortunately, they have your trailer(s) on their lot. And I just wouldn't trust them to not give them a working over prior to delivery. Now I don't know exactly what that would include. But stuff like doing something to create a roof leak that you won't find out about until a couple years down the road. "Foul" (use your imagination here) the freshwater tank. Etc etc etc.

Here's an out of the box idea... I'm just making numbers up here. Say you assume they are loosing $2000 per trailer or $4000 total. Tell them they have a choice:

1) Sell you the two trailers. You don't really want this though.
2) Cut you a check refunding your deposit plus $3000. They may laugh. But they loose less that way. Appeal to their business sense.

Then take your cash plus the $3000 & go to a more reputable dealer & one that won't sabotage your new trailers.

This is more about not falling on your sword & not being penny wise & pound foolish.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #109

Quote:
I got a call from Eddie the Sales Manager and they are going to stand behind their purchase agreement. BUT they will only allow me to order one. So my father in law will have to pay more for his. What's your thoughts????
Stu
Eddie called you,now you can thank me! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #110

"Then take your cash plus the $3000 & go to a more reputable dealer & one that won't sabotage your new trailers."

Really?! Its come to these type unfounded comments? Anyone else want to grab a pitchfork in this forum?

That's not what kind of place this is supposed to be. This is a website for owners support, common interest and help from other owners with the same product not a " lets get this guy even though we are not actual legal professionals and make unfounded remarks against a dealer in good standing we can never prove."

However, since im sure i will take a beating from the mob over this i will just jump right in with my own opinion. I apologize to the more level headed posters i have read.

"When you have a camera crew and they ask questions, you tend to get answers. That was what was coming next weekend."

Ok, i'll bite; What news channel? From what city? What is the name of the person investigating? Can you provide any email proof?

"We figured it wrong. We are the largest in the Midwest go ahead and sue us. You will run out of money before us."

So they said this to you huh? Why did you not stop the communication right away and retain an attorney? Any civil attorney would have told you to immediately let them handle this. Anytime a larger business feels even a little bit they might be sued they will stop all communication with you, after all that's what the retainer fees pay for. I have personal doubts that in your second conversation with this dealer one that has been around since i was a little kid that these words were said.

Unfair to question OP you ask? Nope, since we are only getting one side of this and a;pt of people want to hold this dealers feet to a fire i think its very fair to question what i think are highly unlikely comments in this story.
joelochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #111

Well I have some of the same thoughts but fundamentally I could not hold someone's feet to the fire if they are losing money no matter how big or rich they are.

I'm not expecting to get nothing more than a fair price for a great product. I would be severely disappointed but I would have probably renegotiated after checking other dealers.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelochi View Post
"Then take your cash plus the $3000 & go to a more reputable dealer & one that won't sabotage your new trailers."

Really?! Its come to these type unfounded comments? Anyone else want to grab a pitchfork in this forum?

That's not what kind of place this is supposed to be. This is a website for owners support, common interest and help from other owners with the same product not a " lets get this guy even though we are not actual legal professionals and make unfounded remarks against a dealer in good standing we can never prove."
As the poster of this comment...

I stand by the 1st part. Google "Tom Raper Reviews". Based upon reading that information, I would not consider my comments to be unfounded & I would not consider them to be a dealer in good standing.

After re-reading the 2nd part, I agree with you & would restate it as "potentially sabotage". That would be a very real concern of mine.

Furthermore, with that in mind (i.e., "that would be a very real concern of mine"), I do consider my perspective to be both helpful & supportive. Indeed, other posters cited the same concerns in prior messages on this thread.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #113
Site Team

For this post I'm going to take the middle ground.

A point was made about this thread being one sided. Many threads and posts that I read are one sided - from the person posting and again from the person replying. I usually don't have all the facts in front of me when I reply to a thread. I take some stuff at face value but mostly I take the Internet with a gain of salt.

With that said I think we all want the OP to be made whole in the contract. (OK, I watched a bit too much People's Court a while back.)
My point of this post is that all voices should be heard...even one that we might not agree with.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #114

I just wanted to give everyone a update as far as the profess of my purchases.
My father in law was able to pick up his new unit on Saturday and I am scheduled to pick mine up on Tues. I wanted to thank everyone who has had nice things to say and all the support we have gotten from the group!!!
Stu
indycoltsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #115
Site Team

Quote:
My father in law was able to pick up his new unit on Saturday and I am scheduled to pick mine up on Tues. I wanted to thank everyone who has had nice things to say and all the support we have gotten from the group!!!
Stu
Glad to hear that things worked out for your family and now you all can go camping!! I see lots of good memories ahead.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #116
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsguy
Stu
Great to hear!
Have fun!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #117

Quote:
You must work for Tom Raper. I have tried to call the owner several times. No returned calls.
Please do me a favor. Have him call me.
Eddie did call you,you still failed to Thank me! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #118
Site Team

Tuesday was earlier in the week so how are things going? Are you out camping yet?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #119

I suppose all dealers care less about you after than before - I'm 3 mos after my purchase and am struggling w/ Tom Raper/Camping World in Richmond - I cannot get a return phone call, am told things are in the mail and they are not, have put about 500 miles on my rv just trying to get the new vehicle I bought which is very frustrating - oh and I still will probably have to make 3 more trips.
If I were to do it all over - I'd spend a whole day purchasing, reviewing issues - make them fix it before I left with it - then I'd go camping at a nearby campsite and make a new list of issues and take it right back to them the next day...Instead, I've had it in twice for a look to see even though I've sent photo's/details/model #'s, etc - I just want what's broken fixed as it is (or was supposed to be) new, then I'll just accumulate a list of future repairs needed annually...I'm trying 1 more time before I contact the BBB. Hopefully my phone rings soon.
tsmith21 is offline   Reply With Quote