Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Totally confused!

I purchased new R-Pod 179 from Camping World in Oklahoma City. It was not a good experience in the least. After the money was paid, they worked on my trailer for quite some time and finally drove it out for us to take it home. Somewhere along the line they managed to ram the A-frame hitch coupler and peel the top of it back like a banana! I pointed this out and they said it must have happened on delivery. No, I looked at it and played with it during the pre delivery run through. They had to fix it by welding it, then repainted it. Okay, stuff happens, but then, as I was leaving, I noticed the brake controller no longer worked and was hanging off the dash. Brought it back, they fixed it. Spent all day sitting there and never got to see any of the items we ordered for the unit until after they brought it out. Today I found out that they gave me a solar panel that can't be used on an R-Pod! Have to drive 100 miles back to return it. The tech that worked on my trailer must have known it was not compatible, because we found the control panel for the system hidden in a drawer when we got home and cleaned out the unit.
Wow, is this the way all Camping World's operate? Just not impressed.
On the other hand, the Forest River tech people were top notch and explained why the solar panel could never work and got me hooked up with the right equipment. Thanks to them I feel a lot better.
Just can't understand why Camping World would treat me like they did. Very confused and disappointed with their service after the money was paid.
tankman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Ive had a similar experience with a dealer. I have no personal experience with camping world but if you hang around here long enough you are sure to see several im sure that reflect frustration and anger and poor service/lack of knowledge.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

The worst part is that they must have know about the damage to the coupler, but never even tried to fix it or point it out. Just "here's your trailer, bye" kind of deal. Also shows that nobody ever tested the hook-up, just drove it back and "here ya go, bye" again. Took us all day from 0900 till 1630 to get out of there.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

For every 1 CW that is reputable ... there are 30 CW's that make one swear never to darken their threshold again. They are volume selling machines with great prices but seldom have anything that closely resembles a competent tech in the Service Bays. Do as much as you can yourself in or out of warranty and you'll be farther ahead.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

I am optimistic that they will be helpful when I return the solar panel. I also hope that the service will be good if and when I need repairs. I will post updates in the future to let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
They are volume selling machines with great prices
I have never found their prices to be good at all.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
For every 1 CW that is reputable ... there are 30 CW's that make one swear never to darken their threshold again. They are volume selling machines with great prices but seldom have anything that closely resembles a competent tech in the Service Bays. Do as much as you can yourself in or out of warranty and you'll be farther ahead.
Boy, that sure isn't very reassuring! Used to do lots of work on trailers myself; I completely restored a 62 Airsteam we had for many years, but now I'm not able to do much due to severe arthritis and old battle wounds that are limiting my capabilities. I hope they will prove to be capable.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #8

Totally confused!

Take it to an INDEPENDENT repair shop. Most take pride in what they do. That's their livelihood.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
Site Team

I guess you didn't do any research on CW, before buying from them.
I've been on various RV forums for 12 years now and all of them (including RV.net owned by CW'S parent company)have tons of negative reviews of their sales and service.

As dieselguy stated, 1 good for every 30 bad.
I'll buy stuff from them but never a RV. I have never found any of their sales staff to very knowledgeable about RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum. You are not alone when it comes to having bad experience with Camping World. From the time we purchased our 2015 brand new Forest River Class C from Camping World, Mesa AZ, up to this date, dealing with Camping World, Las Vegas to fix 3 leaking windows (still NOT fixed since November 1, 2016), we had nothing BUT problems. I have sent numerous emails to Mike Lemonis (CW Executive) regarding my issues with both Camping Worlds. Camping World AZ made it right by sending me an "In Store" use voucher. Camping World Las Vegas is a different ball game at all. Nothing but lies and excuses. I filed a complaint with Chicago Better Business Bureau few weeks ago. Response I got from CW Corporate Office is bunch of lies and excuses as well. You should see how much complaints has been filed against Camping World. Had I known about this, I would have purchased my RV somewhere else. Too late now.

Good luck and I hope they fix the issue for you.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #11

Well, back at dealership to fix that coupler they hit again. VERY hard to hook up. Lock just won't go down , had to pull truck back and forth to get it to finally lock. DVD player does not work. Tech support told me to bring it to them as a wire must not be connected. Also, left rear stabilizer must have been damaged by the forklift collision as well. So far so good. Waiting in parking lot. Hope it isn't an all day affair. I will keep you posted. Friendly and helpful so far. Will keep you posted.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman45 View Post
I am optimistic that they will be helpful when I return the solar panel. I also hope that the service will be good if and when I need repairs. I will post updates in the future to let you all know how it goes.
I'm guessing that your unit is pre-wired for a ZAMP panel and they sold you some other brand. Not to worry, for about $8, you can get an adaptor that lets you use other brands with the ZAMP plug.

http://https://www.solardealz.com/Si...s-bdc-adpt.htm

Video here:

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I'm guessing that your unit is pre-wired for a ZAMP panel and they sold you some other brand. Not to worry, for about $8, you can get an adaptor that lets you use other brands with the ZAMP plug.

http://https://www.solardealz.com/Si...s-bdc-adpt.htm

Video here:

Tim
Thanks for posting that.

Do you know the correct term for those kinds of connectors?

I have an idea for a different application using that kind of extension.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Thanks for posting that.

Do you know the correct term for those kinds of connectors?

I have an idea for a different application using that kind of extension.
I never heard a real 'name' for them. Some people call them "trailer connectors", some call them Molex connectors, which is incorrect. A molex is a totally different connector.

If you search google for "2 way molded flat connector", you will find what you need.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

That search worked. Thanks.

I had them laying around my house fo 25 years but didn't have s use for them and eventually recycled them. Dumb.

I had electric chaps and vest for cold weather riding my motorcycle and they hooked to the battery with those connectors. I was warmer on the bike than I was in my car.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #16

From my experience, I would not go to Camping World unless I was stranded out in the middle of a desert and they were the only place to go.

I have seen posts where there is supposed to be good CW's. But my experience with them has me looking everywhere I can EXCEPT for CW. It only takes one bad experience to turn a customer off.

I think the problem with CW is that CW bought out various local dealers and those employees (in many instances) don't seem to care.

Just my 2-cents
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
Camp Bartender

I wouldn't buy from camping world if the trailer was free. My grandfather purchased from them, against my urging, and boy is his paying for it. He needed some warranty work done on his camper (He bought the extended Warranty) In October of 2015, we were camping in Gettysburg and he bought it from the Hanover, PA CW. Anyways, he bought the trailer in August of 2014.

He called camping world service and once he got them on the phone, he said explained that he wanted to bring the trailer in for service, the first question out of the service guy's mouth was When did you buy it and did you buy it from here? My grandfather said, well I bought it in August of last year (2014) from you guys, to which he immediately said well its out of warranty, all the while my grandfather was trying to say I bought the extended warranty. When he finally got that out, his tone changed, saying that they were 3 months out for warranty repairs, which magically became 3 weeks out for warranty repairs when my grandfather scoffed at 3 months. My grandfather said, fine, 3 weeks works, I am in Gettysburg, can I just leave it in your storage area and that way you can have it a little longer if you need it. The service guy said, nope lots full (If anyone is familiar with the camping world in Hanover, you know how massive their lot is how the actually always have room) So he took it home and continued to get push back at every phone call about bringing it back. Long story short, my grandfather wound up paying out of pocket to have the repairs done elsewhere because they made it so difficult.

I have heard they don't like doing extended warranty type stuff because they are limited in what they can charge/what the warranty company will actually pay for repairs.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman45 View Post
I purchased new R-Pod 179 from Camping World in Oklahoma City. It was not a good experience in the least. After the money was paid, they worked on my trailer for quite some time .
Never give the dealer final payment until you are 100% hooked up and satisfied with your expensive purchase. Everything that needed to be corrected after an extensive PDI needs to be fixed and tested by you. In my mind, the PDI should take place a week or two prior to final payment. Had you not given the dealer the cash, you could have walked away. Once the dealer has your money, you are now committed.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #19

"Very confused and disappointed with their service after the money was paid."

But, before the money was paid they were the nicest people you could ever meet.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I did not renew my Trailer Life magazine as it just one big ad for GS and CW. They review the high volume trailers they sell in TL.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse