Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

2 Six volt batteries

Is there a correct sequence to un-install and re-install two six volt batteries in my 5r? Is it ok to use a standard wrench or do I need something special? I want to make sure I don't do any damage.

Thanks

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

I just use a regular wrench and unhook the positive cable first, this is how I do it for all batteries, no special tools needed. When reinstalling perform in reverse hooking the positive up last.

If you pull your batteries out completely make sure you have the batteries connected to each other before connecting to the neg/pos cables of the camper.
tdhanses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhanses View Post
I just use a regular wrench and unhook the positive cable first, this is how I do it for all batteries, no special tools needed. When reinstalling perform in reverse hooking the positive up last.

If you pull your batteries out completely make sure you have the batteries connected to each other before connecting to the neg/pos cables of the camper.
Definitely not to question your abilities ~ but when you remove the positive cable first, do you ever see a spark between the cable & battery terminal?

I have always removed the negative terminal first, this removes the grounding effect, no spark from the positive terminal and isolates the battery power.

For twin batteries, I'd remove the negative cable which connects to the camper wiring, then disconnect the positive from the other battery which connects to the camper, then remove the jumper cable between the 2.

Reverse procedure when reinstalling the batteries. (sorry, edited for a 2 part question from the OP)

But, that's just how I'd do it.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
llr

Good habit to do negative 1st, then there is no danger of wrench contacting ground, more revelent on cars with more metal around. Always be sure the wrench can't reach both terminals at the same time
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Definitely not to question your abilities ~ but when you remove the positive cable first, do you ever see a spark between the cable & battery terminal?

I have always removed the negative terminal first, this removes the grounding effect, no spark from the positive terminal and isolates the battery power.

For twin batteries, I'd remove the negative cable which connects to the camper wiring, then disconnect the positive from the other battery which connects to the camper, then remove the jumper cable between the 2.

Reverse procedure when reinstalling the batteries. (sorry, edited for a 2 part question from the OP)

You will get the same spark from positive or negative if sufficient current is being drawn from batteries.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

As I reach for the popcorn ... I will support that if you remove the negative first ... you'll have no issue with your wrench creating fireworks because you swung it over to something metal while removing the positive.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

Negative first.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

NEG first as stated above. Use a box end wrench or socket wrench. Don't need any slip of the bolt accidents. No crescent/adjustable wrenches.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
Good habit to do negative 1st, then there is no danger of wrench contacting ground, more revelent on cars with more metal around. Always be sure the wrench can't reach both terminals at the same time
This.

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

Ground leg first. In the old days we had pos. Ground equipment. If you want, tape your wrench first, protection never hurts.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
larryandamy

Always negative first.
You will get exact same spark on pos or neg. The spark means there is something drawing current. Clocks, CO2/CO monitors... The more current, the bigger the spark.
There are items that draw current all the time even with key off. If you have a main 12vdc disconnect and it is off and you still have spark, then your 12vdc main disconnect is not disconnecting everything.
If you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter... costs <$20) and you know how to use it for measuring current. (You have to move the red probe to 10A current plugin and put meter is series between battery terminal and disconnected battery connect wire), then you can measure this current. It should be less than 1 or 2 amps. If more than that it means you should check what is drawing the current. But a little spark is normal.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #12

You have a positive...a negative and a jumper cable between the 6
volt batts.
Remove the negative...then positive then jumper.
Install the new batts doing jumper, positive, negative.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Happy Camper

I have been a certified automotive technician for almost 50 years and an ASE Certified Master Technician for over 25 of those. When dealing with negative ground batteries (which includes almost everything above 1950 models), NEGATIVE FIRST Off and last on.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post

Truthfully not that I’m aware of but I don’t do it often but I’ve never had an issue doing it this way first. But Neg first makes sense.
tdhanses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #15

Actually positive ground was used up through the late sixties on British cars and US trucks White trucks for one.
Why were they pos. grd in the first place? Answer in the old days most insulation was cotton braid, and with moisture or fog same thing leakage would occur where wires passed close to metal and at that juncture corrosion would occur, positive ground prevented this. So what made the big switch to neg. grd. When transistors came along the electronics industry settled on the NPN transistor which required negative ground. With that invention and plastic insulation was available too. Sorry if you don’t care just thought you might be interested.
I also have been a auto tech for over fifty years and one of my hobbies is restoration of tube type radios and juke boxes. Some juke boxes are seen in my home shop picture on the mezzanine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1DA7A09-C486-41D9-B64E-D965E74783F6.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	159305   Click image for larger version

Name:	92DDF6E4-5E3C-41A8-B565-98E60BDF3EF6.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	159306  
Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
RetiredRVer

For such a simple task, this is beginning to sound like rocket science!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Actually positive ground was used up through the late sixties on British cars and US trucks White trucks for one.
Why were they pos. grd in the first place? Answer in the old days most insulation was cotton braid, and with moisture or fog same thing leakage would occur where wires passed close to metal and at that juncture corrosion would occur, positive ground prevented this. So what made the big switch to neg. grd. When transistors came along the electronics industry settled on the NPN transistor which required negative ground. With that invention and plastic insulation was available too. Sorry if you don’t care just thought you might be interested.
I also have been a auto tech for over fifty years and one of my hobbies is restoration of tube type radios and juke boxes. Some juke boxes are seen in my home shop picture on the mezzanine.
Um, wow - reverse galvanic corrosion. I would not have considered that.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #18

Sorry like I said if you don’t care. I always shave wanted to know for everything because it helps me solve problems. I started into the electronics thing in the sixties with my older brother engineer later turned doctor.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
X2. I learned the hard way. First time I changed batteries "POSITIVE FIRST" , I bumped the end of the end wrench against the METAL diamond plate and burned a hole right through my pretty splash guard. Negative FIRST AND LAST. That way no harm if the wrench touches when you are on the negative No Arc. If you touch when on the positive, no Arc because the battery is not grounded to the frame.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #20
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Ground leg first. In the old days we had pos. Ground equipment. If you want, tape your wrench first, protection never hurts.
My 69 BSA motorcycle is positive "Earth"

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries