Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #1

2008 Puma 27FQ Tire Changing Help

Hey guys, I have a flat tire on my 27FQ. I requested an Owners Manual from palominorv.com in May, but never received the manual. Now I am not sure where to place my jack under the trailer, so I can change the tire.

Luckily, it went flat in the driveway, not somewhere on the road.

Can anyone with a same or similar model tell me what the manual recommends? There are also stickers on the trailer that say to torque the lug nuts in a star pattern to _________ ft/lbs, but there is no number in the blank, so I am not sure what torque to use when installing the new tire.

Your help is much appreciated.
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

I use the "E-Z-Jack and that is the second pic, all you do is back up on it with the good tire and it will raise the flat tire. I fell this is the safest way.
On the other hand some people do what is shown on the first pic with a bottle jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	277185161.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	3058  
Attached Images

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I have floating axles, and they have a good deal of vertical travel, so I am not sure if the EZ jack will work. I may have to give that EZ jack a try though, and see if it will work.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I use the "E-Z-Jack and that is the second pic, all you do is back up on it with the good tire and it will raise the flat tire. I fell this is the safest way.
On the other hand some people do what is shown on the first pic with a bottle jack.
Rockwood06
Wanted to ask what trailer do you have? I have a 2011 8285WS 5th wheel and like the idea about the EZ-Jack.
Does it work on the new suspensions? I have this new suspension with rubber baby bumpers that twist. Not sure what they call is.

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #5

Well,

I am going in to pick up a new tire and rim on Saturday. It is a slow leak, so I just keep hitting it with the compressor each day. Saturday I will change it out and take the tire in to see if it can be patched.

I have been telling the wife we needed a spare...now we will have one.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Rockwood06
Wanted to ask what trailer do you have? I have a 2011 8285WS 5th wheel and like the idea about the EZ-Jack.
Does it work on the new suspensions? I have this new suspension with rubber baby bumpers that twist. Not sure what they call is.

Thanks
Iggy, first off I am sorry for the late reply, these days it seems like the thread are just flying by and I can't keep up and the way I found this is because I went into my "user cp".
Now to answers your question: The camper I have is a 2006 Forest River Rockwood 8314ss and I have a torsion suspension, no leaf springs.
As far as your suspension I really don't know I have not looked at the new design.
So that you don"t spend $50 bucks on some thing you can't use, you can see if the E-Z jack will work by placing boards behine both back wheels approx 12" high and then back up on them just the rear wheels and then stop, then look to see if the front wheel were lifted off of the ground, if so then the E-Z jack should work. I believe that the thickest part of the E-Z jack is 12" high, I will know for sure by this week end, It's in my camper at our seasonal site at Hershey PA.
I have used mine once in 10 years and It works great. It takes up less space then all of that lumber and it is lite weight and you don't need to carry a bottle jack as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

I bought a "trailer aid" device which is basically a wedge you drive the good tire up on, lifting the bad one off the ground. I had picked up a screw in one tire and it had gone flat in the driveway. I pulled it up on the trailer aid, took the bad tire off to get fixed, put it back on, and then backed it off. Very easy and simple operation.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

So I was all set to position the bottle jack as Rockwood suggested, but I thought I would ask at the Puma dealer when I picked up the new tire & rim. The service tech said to position the jack on the axle, just behind the leaf spring. He made a point of mentioning that this would not bend the axle. I did as he said, and it worked like a charm.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
So I was all set to position the bottle jack as Rockwood suggested, but I thought I would ask at the Puma dealer when I picked up the new tire & rim. The service tech said to position the jack on the axle, just behind the leaf spring. He made a point of mentioning that this would not bend the axle. I did as he said, and it worked like a charm.
I suggested to use the E-Z-Jack, the device that is shown on the table. I had posted another pic that other members use as an example.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #10

Rockwood06, Sorry about the mis-quote, I appreciate the information.

I had the tire plugged & patched today. Now I have a spare. The cause was a nail. I dunno where I picked it up, but I am glad it started going flat in the driveway, not somewhere else.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
Rockwood 06, Sorry about the misquote, I appreciate the information.

I had the tire plugged & patched today. Now I have a spare. The cause was a nail. I dunno where I picked it up, but I am glad it started going flat in the driveway, not somewhere else.
Glad you got things squared away, as far as the misquote that's ok there just so much to read on this forum by a lot great folks that put every effort into helping others.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #12

We have a 2008 puma, and changed the tire on it and found that the spare had 5 holes for the bolts instead of 6 like on the regular tires, and it was also too small. Has anyone had that problem? We have owned the trailer for 4 summers now, and haven't needed to even check the spare...thank goodness we were in the campground with my brother who had the correct type of wheel/spare for us to use. Needless to say, we both drove carefully home...neither of us having a spare...Where to start with that little problem. Dealer or manufacture. Do I even stand a chance of getting any help?
wcrobins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino