Originally Posted by ependydad
I don't have a cracked tank, but I'm curious how you fixed it.
I had to loosen the underbelly to dry everything out as it had leaked all over the foil insulation. I ran long pieces of 1" PVC piping all the way across from side to side to dry it out for a week. Once dried out, I used a product called Plasti-Mend - a sort of liquid plastic with fiberglass screen reinforcing - consisting of 4-5 coats. I actually had to fix it twice as the first full tank test must have stressed the tank and pulled the crack open again. So I started all over again. Sanded the original repair to roughen it up and re-applied the Plasti-Mend again. This time I added some strips of AlumaBond across the cracked area AND kind of around the tank that I could get at to sort reinforce the tank to keep it from stressing under a full load. My next full tank test - 32 gallons of water - sat for the whole weekend and was completely dry the whole time. Not a fun job, but it as held since then.