Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

2013 Columbus 365RL - Grey Tank Capacity & Waste Tote

The specs for the 2013 Columbus 365RL indicate that the grey water tank has a 78 gallon capacity. However, the coach actually has two grey water tanks: grey 1 (for the bathroom) and grey 2 (for the kitchen). Does anyone happen to know how the 78 gallons is split up between the two tanks?

I'm looking at purchasing a waste tote and the Columbus' tank capacity is a factor in deciding the size of tote I want to get.

Also, the waste discharge height is pretty close to the ground, especially the one closer to the front of the rig. Has anyone had any problems with getting waste into a tote when the tote tank is higher than the RV's waste hookup?
BlueGriffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Tanks are split equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGriffon View Post
The specs for the 2013 Columbus 365RL indicate that the grey water tank has a 78 gallon capacity. However, the coach actually has two grey water tanks: grey 1 (for the bathroom) and grey 2 (for the kitchen). Does anyone happen to know how the 78 gallons is split up between the two tanks?

I'm looking at purchasing a waste tote and the Columbus' tank capacity is a factor in deciding the size of tote I want to get.

Also, the waste discharge height is pretty close to the ground, especially the one closer to the front of the rig. Has anyone had any problems with getting waste into a tote when the tote tank is higher than the RV's waste hookup?
The biggest factor should be how much weight can you safely handle? At 8.34 lbs per gallon, that 30 gallon tank is 250 # when full. As to filling you would present the fill neck close to the drain pipe and with a short hose easy to fill.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGriffon View Post

I have an 11 gallon tote and it was a friggin mess every time I tried to use it. So, I made an adapter with the RV connection from a sewer hose that connects to the drain. I then used hard pipe 90 degree and a reducer to 2 inches to stop just at the top of the tote so that it drains right into it. When it get's close to being full, I'm able to shut the valve and take it off. No fuss no mess and it is light enough to manage. I then made a 12 inch pipe that adapts to the rear drain for the same effect. I'll try to take and post a picture, it's worth a thousand words.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

I'd like to see that pic!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by armulle View Post
I'd like to see that pic!
Here you go. Click on the links below the pic for how it looks hooked up to the two different areas.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cture11643.jpg

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cture11644.jpg
Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

We have a Thetford tote. 18 gal. Zero issues when using. Only issue is that it won't completely drain. Seems like there's always 1/2 gal left in it. The drain hose is connect to the tank with an RV waste fitting on one end. Simply hook the drain hose up to the RV, pull the gate valve on the RV. There's a small popup valve on the top that will rise up when it gets near full. Close the gate valve. Push the tote drain hose back into the tote, put cap on and transport to dump station. Super simple.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
We have a Thetford tote. 18 gal. Zero issues when using. Only issue is that it won't completely drain. Seems like there's always 1/2 gal left in it. The drain hose is connect to the tank with an RV waste fitting on one end. Simply hook the drain hose up to the RV, pull the gate valve on the RV. There's a small popup valve on the top that will rise up when it gets near full. Close the gate valve. Push the tote drain hose back into the tote, put cap on and transport to dump station. Super simple.
The problem you have with the 365 is that the drain ends up being lower than the connection on most of these totes which just accumulates the waste in the sewer hose. You then have to pick up the hose and manually drain it which pushes some of the waste back into the drain line. You never get it all out of the hose and it seems like you always end up with waste all over everything. Your system sounds good though.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan View Post
The problem you have with the 365 is that the drain ends up being lower than the connection on most of these totes which just accumulates the waste in the sewer hose. You then have to pick up the hose and manually drain it which pushes some of the waste back into the drain line. You never get it all out of the hose and it seems like you always end up with waste all over everything. Your system sounds good though.

That would be a problem. My Thetford needs 14" at the bottom of the RV waste valve to have a level hose. MY 5'er is 15" to the bottom so it works fine.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

thanks for the pictures. that's a great set up