Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
One Happy Camper!

2013 SolAire Shakedown trip in the books.

Our new SolAire came out of storage and my wife and I did 3 days in N. Central Illinois. Overall we loved the new SolAire and had a nice weekend. Day 1 rain and cold all day, but was mostly getting the camper set up and testing things. Day 2 warmer around 44 and evening rain. Day 3 sunny windy and around 75.

We had a couple major issues and a few minor with the shakedown.

Major:
The evening of day 2 it was raining pretty good when we hit the bed. My wife was awakened by a steady stream of water running down the wall at the head of the bed and her pillow was wet. In the AM I dried out everything and inspected the roof as best I could and could not find anything obvious. The water was finding it's way to the lowest point in the pass-thru storage about a half and inch or more. Dried it all up and left the compartment open all day which seemed to dry it out well.

Underbelly enclosure membrane on the front slide out came out at the trim and is now open and hanging. It looks like the factory cut the piece a bit short and with minimal flexing it pulled out.

Found the outside kitchen faucet is also leaking at the water connections, but could not find a way under to tighten them up.

Minor:

Found a few missing screws and a few hinges that need adjustment.

Everything else worked the way it should.

Here is the best part.

After buying our SolAire we liked the salesman so much I became friends with him on Facebook. I made mention on FB that we had a few issues with our new camper. Within minutes the salesman called me to ask what what going on. I explained it to him and told him I would call the dealership in the morning to make an appointment. He told me he would call me back in a few minutes. In a little while he called me back and told me to lock the keys in the trailer and leave it at the campground. He said a service tech would be there first thing in the morning to get the trailer and tow it to the dealership. A few hours later I got an email from the owner of the dealership asking me to describe the problems and send it to the service manager and they would start to fix it first thing tomorrow. I have never had better customer service in my life!

Hopefully this will resolve all the new trailer issues and we will be good to go for the remainder of the season.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Dealer name? Might be good to share, maybe you did in the review section?

jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
One Happy Camper!

I did a write up of our dealer in that section, but I will share again.

It is Collier RV Super Center in Rockford, IL.

They have far exceeded our expectations from when we first talked to them via email last year all the way through the sale and even after they got our money. I am extremely pleased with them!

The issues with the Palomino SolAire are a little disappointing, but I am sure once all these issues are dealt with we will have many issue free years. The unit seems very well built, just quality control stuff at this point.

SPPD

Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
One Happy Camper!

Follow up!

Got the call today that my SolAire is all patched up and ready to go. The service advisor said he found leaks everywhere on the trailer. Roof in 12 places, front marker lights, scare light, and the outside kitchen door. He said that he took a bunch of pictures to send to FR because the roof was one of the worst he has ever seen on a new unit. He made a comment about terrible QC from the factory. They also took care of all of the other issues that we discovered during our shakedown trip. Now I am concerned about hidden damage since my trailer rolled of the assembly line in August 2012 and spent most of the winter in outside storage. Any tips about how to inspect for hidden damage would be greatly appreciated. I am also going to ask the dealer to try and get something in writing from FR to cover possible issues down the road that may have been cause by this leaking.
The great customer service from my dealer continues though. They came out to the campground and picked up the trailer when the roof was leaking on our shake down trip saving us about 60 miles of towing, and today they offered to bring the trailer to my house or my property to save me a trip out there. The dealership is about 60 miles from my home, and 60 miles from my property. I declined and will pick it up myself just so I can give it a once over before it leaves the dealer lot.

Our next trip is planned for Mid May so hopefully all the new trailer issues are behind us and we can start to enjoy our new SolAire.

SPPD

Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

If you had leaks in 12 different places, I would be worried about the damage that was done that you can't see.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
One Happy Camper!

Right Jimmer, me too. I trust my dealer amd that is a topic I will bring up when I go out tomorrow or Friday to pick the trailer up. What bothers me most is I walked the roof for about 30 minutes during our PDI and did not see any signs of leaks or issues. There was nothing up there to indicate an issue. The dealer said they used a machine of some kind to find the leaks. Not sure what kind of machine, but I will ask more about that when I go get it. I am going to see what they can do for my piece of mind about possible hidden damage when I go to talk to the dealer.

SPPD

Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
Right Jimmer, me too. I trust my dealer amd that is a topic I will bring up when I go out tomorrow or Friday to pick the trailer up. What bothers me most is I walked the roof for about 30 minutes during our PDI and did not see any signs of leaks or issues. There was nothing up there to indicate an issue. The dealer said they used a machine of some kind to find the leaks. Not sure what kind of machine, but I will ask more about that when I go get it. I am going to see what they can do for my piece of mind about possible hidden damage when I go to talk to the dealer.

SPPD
Hopefully it'll turn out that there wasn't significant damage done. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
One Happy Camper!

Thank you!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

We just took delivery on a Solaire 28QBSS this past week. While I haven't seen any leaking in our trailer (other than a substantial leak in the shower faucet which the dealer is fixing this week for me), I'm curious if you have any further details about the locations your dealer found leaks and what they did to fix them. I'd be curious so I can check my roof, lights, hatches, etc... to ensure I'm not going to see a similar situation. Any other things you've found with the overall build or function that would be helpful to a fellow Solaire owner would be great.

We're overall pleased with the unit, although we haven't taken it out for our first trip yet.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
One Happy Camper!

Luv2drum,

PM sent.

SPPD