Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Broke and happy

2014 340rk List to fix

We just bought a 340RK Dec 30. Here is the list I gave to my Dealer after our first shakedown camp. We like the RV, just a little unlucky I guess.

1. The Forest River-Palomino Owners Package was not in the trailer. We searched everywhere. This includes all the instructions, warranty cards etc. Without this package we were at a loss in figuring out anything.

2. Hisense 40" TV Failure. The TV began turning off the first day. It would stay on for 15 minutes and go out. By the second day the TV would stay on for 3 seconds and quit. Can no longer power it up.

3 .The Power Inverter shows to be sending out 115 AC but no 115 AC power is getting to any of the 115 AC RV equipment. Its plugged in and the breaker is on, and LED lights and Inverter is running. The 12 volt lights work only.

4. The Theater Seat arm nearest to the door (right arm right chair) is either broken, or has been Cut/assembled wrong. The arm is not tight so I expect the screws on this arm are stripped. In comparison the Left chair left arm is solid and stands perpendicular.

5. Right side moulding at Ceiling bowed out for about 5 inches above door.

6. Vertical Molding strip in coat closet near entry is unstapled and hanging loose.

7. The Bike Rack left Black marks and small chips in gelcoat fiberglass due to rack contact.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
We just bought a 340RK Dec 30. Here is the list I gave to my Dealer after our first shakedown camp. We like the RV, just a little unlucky I guess.

1. The Forest River-Palomino Owners Package was not in the trailer. We searched everywhere. This includes all the instructions, warranty cards etc. Without this package we were at a loss in figuring out anything.
the owner's manual is generic and only has generic info on RV systems. nothing is model or even type specific. but there are manuals for things like the fridge/freezer, furnace, a/c, awning, oven, and so on.

2. Hisense 40" TV Failure. The TV began turning off the first day. It would stay on for 15 minutes and go out. By the second day the TV would stay on for 3 seconds and quit. Can no longer power it up.
should be a an owner's manual for the tv, in the manual package

3 .The Power Inverter shows to be sending out 115 AC but no 115 AC power is getting to any of the 115 AC RV equipment. Its plugged in and the breaker is on, and LED lights and Inverter is running. The 12 volt lights work only.
are you talking about the CONVERTER, not inverter? your 115 AC things will NOT work unless you're hooked into shore power. that's why only your 12v stuff works. if you have the trailer hooked into shore power, then you probably have a tripped GFI outlet, usually in the bathroom. INVERTERS aren't usually installed by the factory, except for some motorhomes.
overall, not a bad list of issues. actually pretty normal in today's RV industry.
still your dealer's PDI should have caught most of this stuff.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Broke and happy

They took it back and are working on it now. It was Dealer haste with last day of year and an area boat RV show they were trying to fit together. I know its not so bad. The TV was working at walk through. The HiSense are incredibly cheap and problem-some TVs I wish it were a Samsung or name brand. We put a Samsung 24" in the Bedroom. Hope I do not ever have any of the more serious issues. In hind-site, I really am lucky so far.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

Our 2013 340 RK has been at the dealer since Oct.7th. Punch list include fireplace interior warping, the sliding propane tank latch pin weld broke, entrance door alignment, bedroom slide screws pulling out (common). new skylight in shower. But the biggest problem has been the slides. When in the out position, the stationary walls actually bow out, so much so that the moulding at the top cabinet above range falls apart and there is a gap between the counter top and wall. About 3/8 of an inch. Sofa side does the same thing but not as bad. Learned today that the factory wants it back to see if they can fix it. The dealer already put a fix kit in to no avail. I'm figuring this will end up being a 5 month deal if I'm lucky. In regards to the dealer they have been very good letting me know what is going on with a call 2-3 times a week with updates.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Our 2013 340 RK has been at the dealer since Oct.7th.
I hope you are getting weekly updates from the dealer. That is ridiculous. Are there extenuating circumstances?
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
I hope you are getting weekly updates from the dealer. That is ridiculous. Are there extenuating circumstances?
Dang- that is to bad. I hope my popping crown moulding is not a sign of problem but simply missing staples.

I made a visit today and they found the problem with electrical junction box was why TV would go out and inverter circuit not working. They fixed the furniture, and am suppose to pick RV up tommrow. 5 days is much better then 5 months.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post

Dealer has been very good with updates. Notifies us of delays in parts and contacting factory (Cel Lopez). At least twice a week we get a call from dealer, so in that respect I am pleased. Just wish we did'nt have this slide/wall issue.

"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #8

You may wish to contact the factory yourself. My wait this summer for one part was over three months, and have to believe it would have longer had I not contact all levels of management at the factory, to rattle few cages. The factory needs to hear from the owner. Given the severity of some of your issues, you may want to request that the factory come get the unit and rebuild at the factory. They have done this for at least one other owner and likely many. The quality control/craftsmanship on the Columbus line was at often times lacking, especially in the early production year(s) of the 320. If you have a newer model/design, they are likely still learning of issues specific to that model.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Broke and happy

All fixed up for now. Just don't know what else will surface. At least I know I got a good dealer. I could have driven 300 miles and bought the same 340RK much cheaper, but I would have been out on a limb to get it serviced. Buy local.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Glad you got things fixed so fast. Who is your dealer, we bought from Ron Hoover in Katy but since we are in Santa Fe we have only dealt with the La Marque location. We had a few things go wrong first year we had ours but so far since then no problems.
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Broke and happy

Ron Hoover in Katy. They doing us good. They will install a washer and dryer next week . Then it's a trip to Kinder for a long weekend.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #12

bobfa, Glad you made out ok. As of 1/6/14 dealer said unit will need to back to factory. Today, 2/8/14 STILL waiting for factory to send a driver to pickup unit, Dealer is also asking factory when they expect a pickup. So it's been since Oct. 7th 2013 that we dropped off at dealer....4 months and counting..
Keep tuned for updates.
Paul

"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
Broke and happy

Dang.. The weather up there since January has their plant shut down. I check their weather daiy and its been brutal. Its been 2 weeks since the factory said they wanted ours back and the Dealer said it is suppose to travel, predictably Feb 10-17, however it is so cold and snowy I have my doubts. I am ready to get this over with so we could have it back Spring . The dealer said factory could do the side replacement in 3 weeks so we will see.