Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #1

2016 Puma 19rl underbelly coroplast problem

We have had our Puma 19rl for just two weeks. After we got home from her "maiden voyage" we noticed that the coroplast cover on the underbelly was pulled completely through the screw on the driver's side and is open all the way across the width. On further examination, we noticed that the coroplast did not extend to the hitch end, and had no screws tying it to the front cross beam, where it now gapes open. After looking at comparable trailers in Albuquerque (there are no Puma dealers there), my questions is should the coroplast cover extend all the way from hitch to the very back like other brands? Our trailer has one piece extending from the first cross beam in the front to the last cross beam in the back, leaving several feet of exposed fabric. In addition, the entire piece sags in the center down its entire length. Thank you for any insight.
SLBaldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #2

19RL underbelly coating

SLBaldock since you have not had any replies yet I just wanted to check in and acknowledge your post. I also have a 19RL but it is "up North" where I visit fairly often. When next I get up there I will post a better response once I can look at it and verify my thoughts, possibly this coming weekend.

I am sure the black seal coating is 100% across the entire bottom of the floor. As I understand it, Puma constructs the entire floor out of a single piece of laminated wood (plywood) and then covers it entirely. I don't recall any breaks or tears in the bottom sealing cover. I have been under it some time ago and did drill a couple of holes in the basement to run some wiring and just don't remember anything like you describe.

But, I may not understand what you are describing. On mine i believe the bottom coating is "adhered" to the flooring. It sounds like you may have different sheeting that I have not noticed on mine.

I'll post more when I get to the unit again.

Dan
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Winegard G2 Portable Satellite
qwkzotc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Get an 8 foot aluminum floor transition from your local home improvement store and a box of self-tapping screws and fender washers. Cut any of the underbelly that will extend in front of the transition. Measure cut and secure the transition to the closest cross member using the self-tapping screws. Attach the drooping underbelly to the frame as needed using the self-tapping screws and the fender washers. If you are able to find any cross members, you can do the same with them. If not you can use aluminum channel securing it to the frame (side to side) to support the sagging underbelly.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Dan, the covering I am referring to looks like plastic corrugated cardboard. It only covers the main center section of the trailer, and both ends and sides are covered in a black plastic fabric. I was needing to know if the entire underbelly is covered in the "coroplast" (which I believe is what the plastic is called) from others with a 19rl. We are taking it in for warranty work as it was not attached correctly and has pulled out of the screws and is gaping across the front. Thanks so much for your response!
SLBaldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

I see now what you are referring to. Just looked under my 19RL and the covering is there and completely intact. No tears or rips. Just a tad of sag.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471718288.433856.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  78.3 KB

Dan
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Winegard G2 Portable Satellite
qwkzotc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puma, underbelly