Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

2018 XLE 30DBSC - floor flexes near sink / oven

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and am glad to see such a community exists here. My wife and I recently purchased our first TT, a new 2018 XLE 30DBSC. We did the walk-through and didn't really notice anything. After getting it home, leveled and all 4 corner stabilizers down, we noticed that the floor flexes when standing by the kitchen sink and in front of the oven. It doesn't flex enough to see a crack or anything under the cabinetry, but we can feel it when walking there and we also feel it move the ottoman we have next to our couch. Additionally, stepping in that area causes an annoying creaking sound that comes from the oven itself.

Since we only purchased this back in August, we brought it back to the dealer to have them take a look. They stated that they contacted Palomino and this is normal and a known issue with this particular model camper (30DBSC) because of how the plumbing and heating duct work are located in that area. They told me that there really wasn't anything they could do, but they "took measurements" and Palomino said they would "do something" if the floor got worse.

I get that there is duct work in the general area, but this seems to be a very common layout among TT's regardless of brand. I don't know if I really buy that this is "normal", but there are no other 30DBSC's locally I can do a walk-through to compare to. I did find that another dealer has one about 200 miles away, and am considering to take a look there if I can ever find a free weekend.

Anyway, I'm curious what others think about this and if it should be of real concern to me. It is literally the only flaw in the camper, as best I can tell. There are no signs of water damage.

I've also considered poking a small hole in the underbelly and using a camera to see if there is any way this can possibly be braced, however I'm not sure if that would void the 1 year warranty in any way, and also would need to find something to seal up the underbelly again.

Thank you all in advance for the advice, and I'd love to hear from other 30DBSC owners if this is truly "normal" or not. The rest of the floor seems solid, even when standing next to the other heat vents.

JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

I don't know your rig, but I'm sure it's going to bother you every time you stand in that area, which is probably often. I'd keep pushing for a repair.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

I have the same rig, got it in Sept. and mine also flex's, seems cheap. I also don't know what to do about it, Its almost like the subfloor is very thin plywood. Not very rigid.

I would not poke a hole
kodaclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #4

My 2014 340RK has the same problem. Not much to do without major work. The manufacturer simply uses the cheapest materials possible due to their price point and their attempt to save some weight. I will be doing a complete redesign to the understructure of my 5'r in the next years or so. The materials I am going to use to make the floor solid will only add ~40-50 lbs. But I am able to do this as I weld and have home construction skills I can use to make these kinds of repairs.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaclr View Post
I have the same rig, got it in Sept. and mine also flex's, seems cheap. I also don't know what to do about it, Its almost like the subfloor is very thin plywood. Not very rigid.

I would not poke a hole
Well, I guess that makes me feel slightly better knowing that this is common with the model, as Palomino stated. My dealer said that the floor they use, while it's 5/8", it is not standard plywood. I haven't bothered to lift the cover off one of the heater vents in the floor to view the cross section of the floor, as of yet.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
I will be doing a complete redesign to the understructure of my 5'r in the next years or so. The materials I am going to use to make the floor solid will only add ~40-50 lbs. But I am able to do this as I weld and have home construction skills I can use to make these kinds of repairs.
If you do go down that road, please report back with your progress and pictures. My father in law also welds and feels like he can put some kind of a "fix" in place, if he can get a look underneath, but we won't consider doing anything like that until the factory warranty expires.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #7

soft floor

I have a 2015 375RL with a soft floor. Went to Middlebury Indiana to the factory to see if my floor could be fixed. Talked to a manager and since I am the second owner no luck, I need to repair with a third party and pay for the repair on my own. There was over ten trailers waiting to be fixed. Talked to a line worker and he said the floor is a Styrofoam wafer and all the trailers will have a soft floor with wear. So if you are the original owner book your repair. I found some x Columbus workers in Shipshewana that fix the floor and they can do it in one day, will keep you posted. I asked the manager if this is a design problem he said no. the engineers approved it. He also said it is a random issue he said two friends bought two trailers only one has the soft floor, the trailer that was used more often.
Fixed my floor 375RL. Work was done by Shawn Severe in Shipshewana his phone number is 260 316 7688. They removed the belly pan from the trailer. Glued and screwed half inch plywood to the floor from the bottom. Installed 18 angle iron braces under the floor. The braces are actually supports for water tanks. Three guys did it in 6 hrs not three-five days that the factory wants. The three guys are actually x Columbus workers. No need to remove the floor from the inside and the floor now feels great. Sad they did not do this when they made the trailer. Shawn said they do all repairs to trailers, change roofs, and even change side walls if required. His team was great to deal with. So if you are the original owner call Columbus and get in line, if you are a second owner call Shawn. By the way if you floor is soft in will only get worse.
ajaxzcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxzcars View Post
Fixed my floor 375RL. Work was done by Shawn Severe in Shipshewana his phone number is 260 316 7688. They removed the belly pan from the trailer. Glued and screwed half inch plywood to the floor from the bottom. Installed 18 angle iron braces under the floor. The braces are actually supports for water tanks
Thanks, ajaxzcars! Do you mind if I ask what the approximate cost of that repair was, and if the job was just to repair a spot or the entire length of the floor?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

They did the entire floor, if you are the first owner get your trailer into the factory even if the warranty expired. they know it is a flaw in design. They removed the belly pan and insulation next removed all water tanks. glued and screwed half inch plywood to the floor from the bottom. then installed about 18 angle iron braces ( actually brackets that hold water tanks) this is the repair that the factory would do. As to the cost you will need to give Shawn Severe a call his phone number is 260 316 7688. He gave me a good deal felt sorry for me. I brought my trailer from Canada to factory for the repair and they said sorry you are not the original owner.

ajaxzcars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, sink