Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

21' Awning dometic

Does anyone have a suggestion of buying a new awning in Georgia? We are in the NW sector. Our awning collapsed during a storm. Need all of the arms and equipment. Thanks for any info.
Pea Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I would go here. Or, perhaps. here. Call, give them a bit of time to get your make/model and make appointment for installation. They probably have a warranty on their work, so if you are traveling...

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I would go here. Or, perhaps. here. Call, give them a bit of time to get your make/model and make appointment for installation. They probably have a warranty on their work, so if you are traveling...
Thank you dimurrrw,....I'll do just that.....It makes sense.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #4

I have had a few awning issues and i have been told that if an awning is longer than 20' it needs a center support manufactures do not add them, and why? i do not know, just for fun chack with the manufacture of your awning and see what they say, you may be surprised.

Mine is 20' and the last time i had to replace it i had a center support installed and i make sure i tie both ends of the awning down with spring loaded awning straps and keep it tilted to one end of the camper.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

Thanks Rockwood06. Your right it definitely needs a center support. I am going to call and will let you know what they say. Thanks for the idea about the center support. I'm doing research now about where to find one at a better price, and will have them install. Have a great day and thanks again. Gary
Old 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Hey Rockwood06,.....I am having them install a new one, but am installing a center support. I called FR, but they just told me it wasn't covered under warranty because of a clause that states "During inclimate weather, the awning must be rolled up". Imagine that? They must never have been camping before. No answer about the center support, just that in their reply,....We've never had that problem in the 40 some years that they have been making them.....Thanks for the education anyways.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea Eye View Post
Hey Rockwood06,.....I am having them install a new one, but am installing a center support. I called FR, but they just told me it wasn't covered under warranty because of a clause that states "During inclimate weather, the awning must be rolled up". Imagine that? They must never have been camping before. No answer about the center support, just that in their reply,....We've never had that problem in the 40 some years that they have been making them.....Thanks for the education anyways.
The awning is not a Forest River product, the one i have is an "A&E" Now it has been a while since i have a replacement awning installed but from what i remember my service tech told me that it was either suggested or required to have a center support installed on an awnings that were 20' and longer by the manufacture of the awning. Now if this is the case and Forest River told you that the awning is not covered under warranty do to a clause of inclimate weather and the manufacture of the awning lets say it is required and Forest River did not install it during production then Forest River voids the warrenty from the start.....Suggestion find out the manufacture of your awning and give them a call and ask about this, now one thing to look at before you accept the installation open the awning and check the roller, make sure it is not bowed in the middle after it has been installed. The awning matrial should be riveted to the roller on the end when the awning is rolled all the way open, if it is not when you roll the awning up to close it then there is a good chance that the awning will roll up and become misaligned and the side arms will not interlock.

By all means when they are calling for high winds roll the awning up, the center support will not do anything, it is there just to keep the roller from bending in the middle while the awning is open.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #8

Thanks Rockwood06. I pick the camper up Saturday. I will definitly look for the rivets. The Dealer called me today and told me that the "Optima" Center support system could not be installed on my particular camper, because there is no where to mount it in the center (Door/Picture window) He could mount it, however doesn't suggest it . Mine is A&E Dometic Sunchaser ll. I'll call the Manufacture and ask about the warranty. Thanks. Gary
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

I just ordered a new Carefree of Colorado awning "Pioneer Model" 21ft with all hardware to replace an A&E Dometic Sunchaser II Awning. I was originally ordering from Camping world but they had an issue with returning calls. PPL motorhomes sells alot of awnings and had competive priced. I ended up ordering from Lone Star RV, since they are closer to me and have a lower labor rate. This carefree model has a crank handle and can be opened and closed by one person.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning