Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

2nd AC in sabre

We have a Sabre 34TBOK and didn't get the 2nd AC from the factory....should have but....so the SW says I have to install it if I want it. I've been trying to figure out what parts I need.
I would like black roof top parts, ducted, and preferably heat pump. I've got thermostat, 12v wiring, and 120v wiring in place already.

Anybody got any help fer me? I emailed my dealers service manager (RV wholesalers), but haven't heard back yet. Let me know what you did?
Thanks!

jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #2

I don't think the ducting part would be necessary, or practical for that matter. We had our second air installed at the dealer. They removed the existing roof fan and dropped it in and wired it up. The unit already contains a heat strip contained in the A/C package.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Sarge,
Any experience with RV heat pumps vs AC with heat strip? I know you may have had one or two in your A.
The reason I was going to go ducted is to share the load, but maybe basic downflow will be fine? This weekend its been close to 90+ outside and I can't even maintain 80? I taped up the airloss at the bottom of the main unit, and don't know quite what else to do to make the single 15k unit more effective till I get a second bought?
Just wan't to do it right.
Thanks
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Since 90% of your ducting empties into the living area, the main reason for the bedroom A/C is to cool the front half of the rig. Getting the single 15K unit to cool the whole rig is a tall order. Especially in that kind of heat. There is simply too many places for heat to get in (windows) and A/C to escape.

Window awnings and slide covers go a long way in keeping the sun off of the rig, but a second front A/C is a must.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
Sparky

I also am dealing with this exact same thing. Even the same model. I started another thread and have some replies that are worth noting. This is where I'm at so far: Dometic low profile Penguin 2 13.5k btu. I am back and forth on the low profile or full height but am leaning towards low profile to make sure. Ducted to give the main area a boost during the day. We don't camp enough to justify the heat pump option but it would be a good deal if we did. We have the electric fireplace in ours and I have been very surprised how much we have used it and how well it works so I think I will opt for the heat coil in the ac unit. Still chewing on whether to fabricate a manual damper to isolate front ac when needed. I plan on pulling the vent out this weekend to see whats going on up there with ducting. We are leaving in 5 weeks to the Grand Canyon so I wanna get this figured out. I noticed that your ac was only doing a 10 degree drop from outside temp. Have you found anything amiss with your install? I am going to go through mine this weekend and see what i can find. Any other findings or info you have found would be great. I will keep you posted with what I find.

Have a safe and fun Memorial Day!
2010 Dodge 2500 CC SB 6.7 Cummins-SOLD!
2004 Ford F250 CC LB 6.0 Powerstroke-SOLD!
1960 Farmall 560 Diesel M&W turbo puller
SparkyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Only thing I liked better about the heat strip, is it doesn't care what the outdoor temp is. Both units in our fifth wheel had them, and worked pretty good. Heat pump pretty much quits working so well at 40-50 degrees.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote