Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #21

A little brainstorming going on figuring out how to get the AC on the roof somewhat safely. Made this jig real quick. AC sits on top supported by stops on the end. Two rails on the bottom just a hair wider than the rails of my extension ladder. Pull it up the ladder extended out at a comfy angle.

What could go wrong?
2013 Sabre31RKOK
station10fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Make sure you give it some time for the oil to drain back down before you start it! I had the luxury of a forklift when I did mine, but it looks like it SHOULD work.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Make sure you give it some time for the oil to drain back down before you start it! I had the luxury of a forklift when I did mine, but it looks like it SHOULD work.
Thanks, that's on my list
2013 Sabre31RKOK
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #24

The ladder sled worked good, it's up there. I'll finish up the wiring and such tomorrow.

2013 Sabre31RKOK
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by station10fd View Post
Well, I couldn't just let the tri-glide sit there in the garage staring at me. So I sat there trying to figure out a way to sling that heavy thing up there without any help. I managed to get it on the workbench, then to the top of my little scaffold. With a few shims and lowering the landing gear, the holes lined up perfectly.

This should give me most of the day Saturday to work on the AC

Nice job on the install Station! Looks pretty straight forward. I'm looking to do this mod next spring. Out of curiosity, did you use a torque wrench on the bolts. If so, what setting did you use?
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #26

That's a nice looking AC unit, nice and low. I am thinking of adding a 2nd AC to my Sterling. Great pics too! Thanks for sharing.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
Nice job on the install Station! Looks pretty straight forward. I'm looking to do this mod next spring. Out of curiosity, did you use a torque wrench on the bolts. If so, what setting did you use?
Best I could find was 5/8th bolts are supposed to be torqued to 150 ft/pounds, that's what I tightened them too.

I can't wait to pull with it, two weeks and counting
2013 Sabre31RKOK
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
That's a nice looking AC unit, nice and low. I am thinking of adding a 2nd AC to my Sterling. Great pics too! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I'm glad I went with the low profile unit. I think it looks a little better not sticking up so high on the front end.

I finished wiring the unit up tonight, it's putting out some very nice cold air I think we're ready to tackle some HOT Texas air now.
2013 Sabre31RKOK
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #29

Thumbs up

Finally go to pull with the new Tri-Glide. It was only a 50 mile trip, but enough to get some general feelings for it. Normally, when traveling down a road and you hit a bump, you feel it with the truck first, then you feel it again when the trailer hits it. With the tri-glide, there is non of that. You feel it with the truck, then nothing!

I was able to make it clunk (can't think of a better term), when the tri-glide runs out of swinging room and hits either the front or back of the plate. If you accelerate too quickly, it will swing back and clunk. If you brake too suddenly, it will swing forward and clunk. Easing up on the accelerating and sudden braking stops that. If your on the brakes pretty firmly, then let go of the brake, it will swing back and clunk. By the time I left the city limits I figured out how to stop any clunking just by easing the use of the throttle and brakes. I'm really not sure why they don't use some sort of rubber stops at the end of the swing, that would surely ease some of the harsh clunkage?

On the rougher roads you can really see the airbag working. With my retrax cover partially closed, I couldn't see the triglide portion working, but no doubt it was.

Now then, is it really worth the 1300 price tag? For myself, who only gets my trailer out 5 weekend trips a year, maybe, maybe not. I've only had this sabre for a month now, and didn't have any chucking problems with it before the tri-glide. My wife commented on how much smoother it was after the tri-glide, and I agree. I have no doubt the tri-glide takes a tremendous amount of stress off of the trailer frame. I love things like this and it looks so darn cool! For the full timers or those who pull all the time, I would say the Tri-Glide would be priceless and worth every penny.
2013 Sabre31RKOK
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks for update. I'm getting ready to order mine, but think I will go with the solid plate and not the Tri-glide.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #31

I like my trailair pinbox but have just ordered the tri glide jaw for it.

I would recomend it as far as ride goes. We tow about 7-10k miles a year.

I did install the trailair centerpoint and that seems to be a happy medium without going full air ride suspension. The 5er rides real nice back there!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote