Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Site Team

2nd yr warranty vs warranty forever

In looking at the sabre 34reqs, we have learned about this new thing several dealerships are offering. They are calling it rv warranty forever. As long as you get a yearly inspection that covers some required things, then most of your major systems are covered. If you have thus (included as dealer benefit, not an extra fee), would one still want to purchase the additional year of warranty from forest river? My question is what extra coverage would the additional forest river warranty give me over the warranty forever stuff?

On edit, couldn't link the what's covered list as a file, so here is the Rv warranty forever website

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Are we there yet.......

Keep in mind nothing is free. You pay up front with the price or you pay when you need it the most. If you have had a RV before think back and remember if you have had to pay for anything that is a big ticket because of failure on the manufactures behalf? Let's say you take it in three years from now because the friges stops working. They tell you it is because of a leak caused by bouncing or you had a blowout last year causing the frige no longer to be stable. You pay for that. Also most keep there unit for maybe ten years? Have you replaced anything in that time frame? Don't let a warranty make a decision on what you get. One more thing. Would they do that if they plan on losing monies.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

There is an accepted "curve" on how defects occur on RV's just like most other products. For example, electronics items either fail during an initial usage period, say 3-6 months, or they last for years before the "wear out period occurs. Because of this data, you want warranty coverage up front where the early mortality occurs. One year is good, two years is better due to the lack of use most RV's experience. Once the units are sorted out, they are typically pretty trouble free for several years so a extended warranty during this period may be a feel good thing to have, but may not be a good trade off for the added cost to purchase it.
And yes, I know, this is based on statical probably and there is, and always will be exceptions to this and extended warranties are a God send to some owners who experience major problems 3-5 years after they buy the RV. That's why an extended warranty is essentially an insurance, and keep in mind, insurance companies are in business to MAKE MONEY by collecting more than they payout!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbalmer65 View Post
Keep in mind nothing is free. You pay up front with the price or you pay when you need it the most. If you have had a RV before think back and remember if you have had to pay for anything that is a big ticket because of failure on the manufactures behalf? Let's say you take it in three years from now because the friges stops working. They tell you it is because of a leak caused by bouncing or you had a blowout last year causing the frige no longer to be stable. You pay for that. Also most keep there unit for maybe ten years? Have you replaced anything in that time frame? Don't let a warranty make a decision on what you get. One more thing. Would they do that if they plan on losing monies.
I realize that nothing us free but the dealership that is selling the unit has one of the best prices on have seen unless I go all the way to Indiana. I'm just trying to decide if the forest river 2nd yr factory warranty is double coverage or adds more items not included in this. We had our last tt for 3 1/2 yrs and knock on wood, had no major issues with it. It was nice that it came with a standard 2 yr manufacturers warranty though and we did utilize it for some smaller issues we had.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

The 2nd year FR warranty is basically an extension for 12 months of the exact coverage you received for 1 year when you bought your RV.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

One thing I did not see in there coverage is the slides, as this seems to be a big trouble area I would make sure they will cover the slide components. I would also like to know how much the maintenance costs.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
One thing I did not see in there coverage is the slides, as this seems to be a big trouble area I would make sure they will cover the slide components. I would also like to know how much the maintenance costs.
This is what I was looking for. The components I might be overlooking. Thank you. The unit we are looking at has 4 slides so well worth that extra $150 I think.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

Slide mechanisms are listed in the covered items on the statement of coverage page from FR.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

I was referring to the warranty forever not FR warranty.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #10

Sorry, I was a bit confused by who "there" (their) really was as the previous POST was in reference to FR.

Tags
warranty