Old 11-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

30FBSS Satellite Back Feed...

Just picked up a 2015 FBSS. It has two inputs (1 for cable and 1 for satellite). I'm looking to backfeed the signal to the other two TV's. I know that those TV's will have to watch the same thing as the living room which isn't an issue. I am also not worried about not ever having cable/antenna TV since I'm not moving this thing.

The dealer said the satellite TV runs to the main TV only. He said the cable runs to the other 2 TV outlets (one in the front room and one in the back). He said I could back feed the signal by doing the following:

1) hook coax from outlet to sat box.
2) from output on sat box i run to splitter
3) one cable to tv main tv in living room
4) one cable run back to the antenna outlet with the red light (boosted port).
5) Said all I needed to do was turn off the light and it would back feed to other TVs.

I did that and i get nothing in the other rooms. So I'm thinking through this process and looking for some guidance...

1) Can I take off the booster faceplate and rewire it somehow to take the booster interference out of the equation? Is there a diagram on this site?

2) Can I completely bypass this port all together. Is there a splitter somewhere in the camper where the "cable" TV input comes together that I can use to split this thing that is easily accessible?

3) Any other suggestions? I'm not sure the dealer is right in how "easy" it is to back feed the signal.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Williams

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #2

Help us with a little more "specific" info.

On the outside of the trailer do you have one or two jacks. How are they labeled.

At the location of the primary TV how many jacks are on the faceplate and how are they labeled. Is there more than one faceplate at this location? A photo of the amp would help us identify the amp and the connections behind the amp.

At the location of the the secondary locations (bedroom, etc.) TV(s) how many jacks are on the faceplate and how are they labeled?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Hello Marty,

Outside of the trailer has two ports (one Sat and one Cable).

Primary TV has one face plate. If I remember correctly, it has Sat In and the Cable / Booster In.

One cable jack in bedroom on roof.

I don't have any pictures unfortunately.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't think you can use the "ota" coax headed to other tv's to feed from your satellite. "Cable needs to be rg6 " which there not.

TURBS.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
Hello Marty,

Outside of the trailer has two ports (one Sat and one Cable).

Primary TV has one face plate. If I remember correctly, it has Sat In and the Cable / Booster In.

One cable jack in bedroom on roof.
A photo of the amp/booster would help identify the booster.

Based on your info, the cable port outside the trailer most likely is connected directly to the amp/booster. The TV antenna on the top of the trailer is connected directly to the booster/amp. The booster/amp has an output the feeds the main TV and most have a 2nd connection or a splitter that feeds the bedroom TV. ALL of these connections are behind the booster/amp faceplate.

The satellite port outside the trailer is most likely connected to the faceplate near the main TV. You say it is labeled "Sat In". In reality, I would call it "Sat Dish Out", it is used to connect your satellite receiver near the main TV to the dish that you would connect to the satellite port on the outside of the trailer.

Hope that helps you understand the wiring.

Hard for me to determine the purpose of the 2nd jack that you say is labeled "Cable In" without some photos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Sensar Antenna Manual.pdf (3.14 MB, 11 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I don't think you can use the "ota" coax headed to other tv's to feed from your satellite. "Cable needs to be rg6 " which there not.

TURBS.
I think all RV manufacturers have been installing RG6 coax throughout their units for about 10 years, give-or-take, regardless of application. Not cost effective to install a dedicated coax (RG59/RG6) for one application. Don't think coax type is an issue for OP's intentions. JMO.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think all RV manufacturers have been installing RG6 coax throughout their units for about 10 years, give-or-take, regardless of application. Not cost effective to install a dedicated coax (RG59/RG6) for one application. Don't think coax type is an issue for OP's intentions. JMO.
The coax running to both my tv locations other then the main tv is just cheap dollar store coax.
My unit is 3 years old.

TURBS.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
The coax running to both my tv locations other then the main tv is just cheap dollar store coax.
My unit is 3 years old.

TURBS.
I did say give-or-take. You told the OP that his was not RG6. Sort of a bold statement. My 2000 GB even had RG6 not RG59. His unit is a 2015. I could be wrong. Could you?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I did say give-or-take. You told the OP that his was not RG6. Sort of a bold statement. My 2000 GB even had RG6 not RG59. His unit is a 2015. I could be wrong. Could you?
I'll go out on a limb.
I think he'll find its not rg6
I could be wrong

TURBS.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

1. I'm a bit confused by the "use case" being described here:
- OP connects SAT connector to LNB outside trailer
- connects SAT receiver to SAT connection inside trailer
- SAT receiver converts RF to HDMI for TV
if OP wants to share the RF feed from LNB with other SAT receivers in trailer, then "all TV's must watch same program" doesn't make sense to me
-- and if that's what's wanted, why not just hook the LNB feed up to the 'cable' connector in the basement, since all TV's get the 'cable' signal? Hopefully, distances are short enough that it won't matter if it's not RG6 (it's worth a try).

-or-
if it is to ONE alternate TV with the same programming, why not go wireless HDMI with the IOGEAR?

2. I'm with Turbs. If FR can save themselves six cents a trailer by only running RG6 from the SAT connector on the trailer to the SAT connector inside the trailer and then run cheap-o cable everywhere else, they'll do it. (My Sabre is 400 miles away at the moment so it's impossible for me to check, but IIRC I did see cheap-o cable behind the main TV when I upgraded my Winegard.)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
satellite