Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

320RL Pin & Truck Payload

Would greatly appreciate assistance with this estimate. Spreadsheet calculations are as follows: Specs are 2015 lbs Pin, which is 19% of 10604 lbs Ship. So using the 19% of RV weight is a good start if the cargo weight is balanced over the RV axels. The weight that can change anytime (Propane 60 lbs, Water fresh 32 gal 256 lbs, food, cloths, pots & pans, plus stuff in the big storage compartment all total 1101 lbs (all this stuff is a guess.). So thus far at 19% this adds 209 lbs making the pin weigh in at 2234 lbs.
The main issue is pin weight increase from adding options. These next options add 1905 lbs and at 19% add 361.95 lbs Pin Weight (this is an estimate with very little basis and could be way off)
Washer & Dryer 250 lbs.
TV 40 lbs.
Bedroom AC 120 lbs.
K Bed 75 lbs.
Refig 100 lbs.
6 way level-up 350 lbs.
Toppers 3 250 lbs.
Fireplace 75 lbs
Bike Rack 125 lbs.
Windows 350 lbs.
trail air 75 lbs.
Gen Prep 75 lbs.

Total Pin weight 2015 + 209 + 362 = 2586 lbs
Truck payload - people, stuff, fuel, hitch, RV’s pin = 3701 lbs

However if the majority of weight is behind the axels would that decrease pin weight? Does it look as if the majority of the options rest behind the axels?

Delete windows, washer & dryer, reduce travel water to 10 gal, to reduce pin weight 147 lbs to 2438 lbs thus a Truck payload to 3554 lbs.

An online app, with checkbox disclaimer, a model, option checkboxes, and displayed weights on the pic at pin and shared by axels. Could select options and view their impact on the RV. Now that would be nice

Thanks for any help !

Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

From looking at your options, it seems that most are in front of the axles. My guess is that the windows, toppers and level-up system are split fore and aft. Even the TV and refrigerator are going to be right about where the axles are. The two things that I see as being rear of the axles are the bike rack and fireplace.

We have similar weighted rigs; mine's a little heavier, but here's some real world numbers from a weighing last week:
- Advertised unloaded/ship weight: 11,800 lbs.
- After options, as ordered, the yellow sticker reflected: 12,240 lbs.
- Weighing last week on the 1st trip of the season: 13,840 lbs.
* no propane in the tanks; we hadn't gone grocery shopping and were carrying limited food and almost no drinking water; we had cleared the camper of extra stuff at the end of the season (we accumulate as the year goes on until we purge at the end of the year)

The other thing that really surprised me was when I weighed, I lost a good thousand pounds of payload capacity in my truck to my family's weight, our stuff, our hitch, bed cover and the options I added to the truck. What was 4,200 pounds of capacity dropped to 3,100 pounds.

Rather than worry about every little pound that you add to the camper, might I (not so humbly) suggest that you look at the camper's GVWR. (I see part of your problem.. I'm googling your model and it doesn't seem to be published.)

Are you worried that you're borderline with your truck? What year/make/model is it? Would you consider loading it up and taking it to a scale to get a realistic view of what your actual available payload is?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
From looking at your options, it seems that most are in front of the axles. My guess is that the windows, toppers and level-up system are split fore and aft. Even the TV and refrigerator are going to be right about where the axles are. The two things that I see as being rear of the axles are the bike rack and fireplace.

We have similar weighted rigs; mine's a little heavier, but here's some real world numbers from a weighing last week:
* no propane in the tanks; we hadn't gone grocery shopping and were carrying limited food and almost no drinking water; we had cleared the camper of extra stuff at the end of the season (we accumulate as the year goes on until we purge at the end of the year)

The other thing that really surprised me was when I weighed, I lost a good thousand pounds of payload capacity in my truck to my family's weight, our stuff, our hitch, bed cover and the options I added to the truck. What was 4,200 pounds of capacity dropped to 3,100 pounds.

Rather than worry about every little pound that you add to the camper, might I (not so humbly) suggest that you look at the camper's GVWR. (I see part of your problem.. I'm googling your model and it doesn't seem to be published.)

Are you worried that you're borderline with your truck? What year/make/model is it? Would you consider loading it up and taking it to a scale to get a realistic view of what your actual available payload is?
X2

The only thing that means much is putting it on the scales...... It is good that you are trying to not overload your set up...........

Advertised weights are not always the correct weights....... I have a different trailer but all the published info says empty weight for mine is about 9200 lbs upon delivery it came in at well over 9600 lbs the pin weight was more as well .

I am assuming that you must be close to the max. cap of your truck???

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Whatever the case, you probably should have a one-ton truck to pull it with. Duals might be optional.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

Current truck is not suitable for a few reasons, and do not want to start a war, so forgive but this truck doesn't matter. If those estimates are real close then there are a couple of preferable choices. The truck cargo including 300 lbs for slider is a very close estimate. And for what little I know Pin is the important value. When this RV rolls off the line I want to be ready as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorsAweigh View Post
Current truck is not suitable for a few reasons, and do not want to start a war, so forgive but this truck doesn't matter. If those estimates are real close then there are a couple of preferable choices. The truck cargo including 300 lbs for slider is a very close estimate. And for what little I know Pin is the important value. When this RV rolls off the line I want to be ready as well.
The safest thing to do is to plan off of the GVWR; the problem is- in my few minutes of searching, I couldn't find it.

I think whatever numbers that you throw at this- it's likely best to go conservative. I'd likely roundup most of your numbers for planning purposes.

The nice part is, you're picking the trailer and have some flexibility in the truck. You'll be able to pick the right truck for the job.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Thank's ependydad

Your pin may be shy of 2700 lbs and could have at least 400 lbs more of payload capacity. Your truck payload tells all. Thank you very much!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Actually due to my dual slide bunkhouse, my pin weight is quite a bit lower (16% - 2,200 pounds-ish, I think). But, that's one of the "fringe" cases. Since the specs are calling for 19% on yours, I think that's what I'd use for calculations.

And yes, losing 1,100 pounds to the family and truck stuff and crap really shocked me!