Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
jsk

34-REQS Observation and Question

We had our first outing last weekend and another coming up this weekend. So today I go through the unit checking things out like usual and have a question.

1) Under the kitchen sink is another water pipe that comes down from the left. What is it for? I was thinking the atmospheric check valve but not sure.

2) While the kitchen slide was out I looked underneath and noticed that the gas line has a kink in it. It is a little long so it kinks when closed.

3) Also when the kitchen slide closes the gas fittings for the for the stove are causing a kink in the some of the wiring.

Just thought I would pass on any info. that might help somebody else.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check under my kitchen slide tomorrow.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Sounds like you need to make a trip to the dealer and get the kinks out of your unit. (No pun intended)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Sounds like you need to make a trip to the dealer and get the kinks out of your unit
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Sounds like you need to make a trip to the dealer and get the kinks out of your unit. (No pun intended)
No problem - I have a sense of humor. Unfortunately my dealer has been most unhelpful with some other items.

Here is another problem I discovered today. During our first trip their was a drip leak under the kitchen sink. It appeared that one of the joints was crossthreaded. We noticed after washing dishes the water did not completely drain out of the sink. Today I took apart and put back together, fill the sinks with water, and they drain about 2/3 and stop. It is like the waste tank is full but it is not. If I open the waste water valve just a little everything drains and there is no problem - even if I fill the sink and drain them. Any ideas why? I do not have a p-trap but have the HepvO drain with the rubber diaphram. As long as the gate is open no problems.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

[QUOTE=jsk;185106I do not have a p-trap but have the HepvO drain with the rubber diaphragm. As long as the gate is open no problems.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what that is but it sounds like a venting problem. It is possible you have a bad Air Admittance Valve (also known as an under sink vent).

Look under the sink for a short vertical stack that looks like one of these.

How to Plumb a Kitchen Sink With an Air Admittance Valve | eHow.com

Oatey Air-Admittance Valve Installation Pack 39239 at The Home Depot
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Look under the sink for a short vertical stack that looks like one of these.
This must be at the other end of the pipe I mentioned under 1) in the original post. I can not see the other end due to location. I will have to dig around to get to it.

Google HEPvO - it is taking the place of p traps because it fits in tight places.

Thanks for the links above - I have 4 days to get this figured out.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
ns-sabre

Jsk, having similar problem. Only out once and was winter camping. Small amounts of portable water in bathroom sink, when released water backed up in shower, it did slowly drain, however it was a small amount and my concern with a steady flow we will have a problem. Before seeing your post I was checking out behind the garage in the access area and found the hepvo. If I start to loosen it, blue liquid which I assume is part of the diaphragm was leaking., so I stopped at that point as I have to wait until I can get somewhere to be able to dump to try a full flow. Anyone have experience with these waterless traps, between Jsk,s experience and mine sounds like they may need some tweaking. ( the sink and shower share a hepvo, put there is 4 ft of pipe the sink water had to back up from the where the two join just above the hepvo, therefore hardly any of my sink water initially went thru the hepvo and only did slow very slowly.

http://www.hepvo.com/

Also have a question on the heat air flow, only the vent on the stairwell blows with any force, all others have heat but no real force. How is the airflow for others in the REQS living room or bedroom? In access area also found the pipe for the stair vent had not been clamped and only stuck in the cover. Will need to fix.

Another item is the propane tank regulator. Only seemed to work when tank on far side had propane. If it was empty it would not draw with just tank on right side(where regulator is located) but did work when switched.i.e empty tank was on side with regulator.
Anyone else experience oddities?

Otherwise loving our REQS and hoping to get out again and give a better test of all systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4048333762.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	12729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1803826685.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	12730  
ns-sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
jsk

My slow drain was an early design problem and was related to venting like herk suspected. Forest River said they have a simple fix. It should be fixed on units in production now. I may need to ask about the other grey tank.
My stairwell vent also blows the most air - the othervents have air but not the same amount of force which I would not expect them to.

No other problems but I am concerned about the gas line under the kitchen slide that kinks. I have sent pics to Forest River - waiting to see what they say.

Heading out again this weekend and looking forward to it - again.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
ns-sabre

Thank-you Jsk. As it turns out my issue was atotal blockage. There turned out to be a small piece of pipe and other construction material traped at top of Hipvo. My main concern would be this was clearly never tested in factory or dealer before deleivery. However Dealer took care of it and a few other small issues ( wire harness for living room hanging etc.) very promptly.

I took a look at my kitchen propane, my line ( loos up and is flexiable for slide in and out and is tight, but dosen't appear to kink.

My question now to any new 34REQS owner is around the rubber roof. On closer inspection I noticed a few areas that I would like to insure are normal. 1) a number of places of "access" rubber or ridged access rubber, not tightly glued. On my old TT the rubber was very taunt and glued tightly everywhere. On the sabre there are a number of loose area's. As well along the roof/sidewall edge there is a variance in how far the underlying roofing comes out and height creating some spots were the rubber is very tight and shape 90 degree angle, as well as pointy spots at corners of board. ( concerned on wear), the other roofing sections that appears a .5 inch shorter and thereby leave the rubber edge rounded and as can be seen in the pics, with access rubber not glued. I'm only comparing with old TT. Is this typical? or any concern? especially on fellow 34 REQS? Sabre Sam any comment?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2844.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	13203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	13204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	13205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2856.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	13206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	13207  

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
ns-sabre

Here are addtional side pics mentioned. Apoligies for large post, however appreicate the knowledge on these fourms. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2842.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	13208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	13209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2868.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	13210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	13211  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns-sabre View Post
Here are addtional side pics mentioned. Apoligies for large post, however appreicate the knowledge on these fourms. Thank you.
These photos need to go to your dealer or direct to FR.
They don't look right to me.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #13

The roof on my 2012 Sabre 31 RETS looks very similar to yours and I too am a little concerned and keeping an eye on it. My previous 5th. wheel roof didn't have nearly the bubbles in it. Here is one picture of mine.

Let us know what you find out from your dealer on yours.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
ns-sabre

Thanks to both you and Lou for the quick reply. As Lou suggested I have sent all the posted pics and more to my dealer for comment. As well I sent a private message to Sabre Sam requesting he comment on this thread. As mentioned just seems at minimun different then most I have seen and want some reassurance that both FR and Dealer stand behind it, as we otherwise still love the feel of our Sabre and are excited to be heading out shortly for the weekend. We pass on any feedback, and see if any other REQS owners post.

2012 Sabre 34 REQS
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Some bubbles as you have pictured are somewhat normal.
I work for a roofing campnsy that installs tpo/rubber membrane.
little bubbles here and there are not uncommon.
but those last set of photos where ur pushing and pulling the "excess "
I would say is not normal someone got lazy there and didn't trim enough
material to lay flat.
I'm no expert but that should be fixed. The other bubbles are fine unless they grow
Which in most cases will not.
I suggesst outlining with permanent marker to see if it does.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

I would worry that "at speed" suction on the roof will "billow" that roof material making it worse.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I would worry that "at speed" suction on the roof will "billow" that roof material making it worse.
If membrane is glued properly even with the bubbles
The membrane should stay attached at well over 100mph!
most membranes and gluing procedures are hurricane rated.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
If membrane is glued properly even with the bubbles
The membrane should stay attached at well over 100mph!
most membranes and gluing procedures are hurricane rated.
Sorry, but his membrane does not look like it has seen any glue.
Just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
jsk

ns-sabe - please keep us posted on FR response or send me a PM. As far as my gas line I waiting to hear from FR on a fix. I m going to start looking around at alternatives on my own.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
ns-sabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk
ns-sabe - please keep us posted on FR response or send me a PM. As far as my gas line I waiting to hear from FR on a fix. I m going to start looking around at alternatives on my own.
JSK. I will for sure. Forest river has asked for contact details and vin #, and forwarded to factory for comment. My dealer also replied that they were not too concerned on the " wriggles", but we're unsure on the different roofing edge height and will be getting back to me next week as well. When you say yours is similar, does that also include the edge ( pics on second set). I'am real curious to start with to know if all 34REQS are the same or not? This different height and sharper edge is two sections of roofing over the stairs and washroom area ( steep section) .