Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

36QBOK-7 bunkhouse TV connection

I have a 2013 36QBOK and during yearly warranty work have asked the dealer to check the coax connection for the TV in the bunkhouse. The issue is when hooked up to cable the signal is severely compromised. The picture is very "snowy". However, when receiving signal from the antenna it is clear. We do not have the problem with the main living TV or bedroom TV. I checked the bunkhouse TV by moving it to the bedroom and it works fine there. Yesterday, the service rep at the dealer told us it may not be designed to work for cable in the bunkhouse, only antenna. Does that make sense? Does anyone else with this model or Sabre line have this issue?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Man, sorry, but I've never used anything but the antenna and dvds on our tvs.
Might check the connection or crimp on the cable connection in the basement. Thats all i can think of to start.
Or you could just run another cable back there from a t in the basement....maybe?
Sorry, im not real strong on this sort of problem.
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
I have a 2013 36QBOK and during yearly warranty work have asked the dealer to check the coax connection for the TV in the bunkhouse. The issue is when hooked up to cable the signal is severely compromised. The picture is very "snowy". However, when receiving signal from the antenna it is clear. We do not have the problem with the main living TV or bedroom TV. I checked the bunkhouse TV by moving it to the bedroom and it works fine there. Yesterday, the service rep at the dealer told us it may not be designed to work for cable in the bunkhouse, only antenna. Does that make sense? Does anyone else with this model or Sabre line have this issue?
Was the antenna booster on when you tried watching cable?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

No, the antenna booster was not on and the other two TV's work fine on cable. Just the issue with the bunkhouse connection. I know...first world problem

Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Always Learning

I actually just experienced the same in Key West. Our main TV was OK but the other two were snowy. I didn't explore it further. I have it in now for service work- I'll ask them to take a look and can report back what they say.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I actually just experienced the same in Key West. Our main TV was OK but the other two were snowy. I didn't explore it further. I have it in now for service work- I'll ask them to take a look and can report back what they say.
First time you used it in that manner?
Or was it fine in other instances?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
First time you used it in that manner?
Or was it fine in other instances?

Good question, Turbs... I've only ever hooked up campground cable 3 (I think) times. And, I'm not sure if we've watched cable TV on the bunkhouse or master bedroom TV before this.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good question, Turbs... I've only ever hooked up campground cable 3 (I think) times. And, I'm not sure if we've watched cable TV on the bunkhouse or master bedroom TV before this.
I've never used either the bedroom coax nor the bunkhouse coax for any manner so I know I'm not going to be much help.

I have to wonder if it's cabling logistics since there "is a picture" albeit grainy and full of snow.

Here's what I would do.

remove the entertainment unit and look for all coax leads, they "should" be all right there.
I've had mine apart to find what cable is what to label them for future reference.
I took a spare 20' coax wire and plugged it into the bedroom then took the other end out to the entertainment center .
I then used my ohm meter and started to ohm each entertainment coax to the bedroom one till I found it.
Repeated for the bunk house then labeled all wires

I then proceeded to ohm each coax to check for high resistance.
Took about 30 minutes.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

This is not the first time and it's not been a big issue since we either have the kids play a DVD, Wii or watch another TV. Come to think of it, I get cable reception in the main slide, bedroom and basement...issue is just with the bunkhouse...thanks for the advice on running it down...I thought about it but have not put in the effort yet since it's been more a nusience than a necessity. When I get it back from the dealer I will provide an update on what the find...or dont find

Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #10

mine works fine with cable or antenna
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #11

Thanks...at least that confirms it is designed for cable to work in the bunkhouse. Now...running down the problem..

Old 02-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #12

Talked to the dealers service rep. The coax was "compromised" and was replaced the length of the coach. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

Tags
bunkhouse