Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #81
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Any advise for towing a Sabre QBOK36 with an f350? Husband is letting me taking the fifth wheel for its maiden voyage. It is also the first time for me towing the fifth wheel!! Not worried about going straight and our spot is a pull thru. I am a little worried about making left and right hand turns while on the road.
My dealer actually sent one of their techs on a drive with me. Tips he gave and I keep in mind are:
  • Obviously, go slow. You accelerate slower and slow down slower. Plan for it.
  • Relax.
  • Adjust your mirrors so that you can see the trailer's tires on both sides.
  • As you are making a turn, pull ahead as much as you can and watch the trailer's tires. Once they pass the obstacle that's in the way, you can then turn as hard as you want/need.
  • Remember, the trailer tires are going to try and follow to the back of the truck in a straight line.
  • Be prepared for unexpected backing up- I find keeping my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel is easiest. Raise the hand in the direction that you want the back of the trailer to go in.
  • Again, for unexpected backing up (or fine tuning on a pull-thru)- remember that the middle of the truck bed has to move side to side before the trailer will move side to side. It's "slower" to response than a travel trailer because of that.
  • Have fun!
  • Relax!

As well, when lining up for that pull-thru spot. Remember, your main room and bunkhouse slides extend 3'. Make sure you have room for them! I had to move the camper this past weekend because I forgot that little tidbit!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #82

Thank you all for your advice. DH decided to go with me after all. I don't think he wanted me driving his truck😊

We did very well! Just need to figure out the best plan for leveling and need to get wheel locks for the swaying.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #83
Newbie.

I tow a wildcat 344qb that weighs 12000 lbs full with an f250 super crew diesel. I upgraded trucks to get this 5er. As far as scales go, the payload limits are close. I have Firestone airbags, the smaller wheels and stronger tires (20 inch rims and low profile tires are a no no) and she hauls fantastic. As far as crosswinds I take her across the confederation bridge (12km over open ocean) with ZERO issues. I don't speed, I set the cruise at 60 mph on the highways and do not lose ANY sleep over my t. Vehicles ability.
Borrowed same trailer last year and pulled it with f450 duallie on first camping trip ever. Honestly, I notice zero difference btw the trucks when towing.
Yes there are guys out there close to their limits but these new 3/4 tonnes are fantastic.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #84

On Wed our 2500 towed 200m+ south on I-75 to Pigeon Forge, throught the hills of Eastern Ky, over Jellico Mtn and on to PF without a problem. More loaded than any of my earlier trips this year as I have gear for five, including a full bike rack on the back. Pulled Jellico, about a 3m+ grade, at a constant speed of 55mph at 3500rpm or less. The engine heat or tranny cooler did not budge. I love my truck!
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote