Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
sweet looking truck Baron! Thanks for the input.
Appreciate the compliment!
Just my two cents...it's probably only worth half that amount, lol!
bjlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlowe View Post

Appreciate the compliment!
Just my two cents...it's probably only worth half that amount, lol!
Good looking truck. You must not have any dirt where you live bc the underside of that truck is clean. Thanks for the insight on the subject.
Brandon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #63
Always Learning

Brandon- the 2012 MegaCabs come in with very similar capacities as a 3/4-ton truck in anything but a MegaCab (I wish I knew what Dodge was thinking?!) from a payload perspective.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #64

I want a new truck but the one I got is almost paid for, but I have been looking at the dodges. I don't think anybody make a truck like I want though. I want a truck the same overall length as my current truck but on a drw. A cc long bed will not fit in my garage with the door closed.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #65
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon327 View Post
I want a new truck but the one I got is almost paid for, but I have been looking at the dodges. I don't think anybody make a truck like I want though. I want a truck the same overall length as my current truck but on a drw. A cc long bed will not fit in my garage with the door closed.
So you want a regular cab/long bed DRW?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #66

Brandon, I just took delivery of my 36QBOK last month. Like you, when we decided on this model, I had a decision to make, as I had a very nice EFI Live tuned 08 2500HD and was looking for others towing with the same combination. I crunched all the numbers and was sure that I'd be over in pretty much every category, in spite of the power train being more than capable. I looked at doing the exact things Baron suggested-bags, sway bar, upgraded tires, and adding a leaf to get to where a 1 ton SRW truck's numbers would be, and still would have been over in more than one area. I decided to trade my 3/4 ton for the 1 ton dually in the end, mostly because I know that the worst time to realize that you need something is the moment you find yourself needing it and realizing you don't have it. At the end of the day, you're looking at putting a 42' sail behind you and all your beloved in the vehicle with you. If you decide to stay with the truck you have, definitely take steps to make it better suited. We all see setups that raise our brows for one reason or another, and hope/pray that nothing happens to make that person's choice affect us. Again, I never hooked up to the 36QBOK with the 2500HD, but having driven both trucks, I'd say I feel far more confident that I made the right choice after feeling the way the big 5er feels back there. By all means-it's a beast of a trailer. Congratulations and good luck, it's ultimately going to be you that decides, after you tow it.

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #67

Well said and real experience for Brandon to review in making his decision.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #68

I am wanting a new truck. Just not finding what I am looking. I want a Drw crew cab the same length as my current truck. I am gonna weight the current truck and new 5er and compare it to the 5er that I am currently pulling.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #69

Quote:
I am wanting a new truck. Just not finding what I am looking. I want a Drw crew cab the same length as my current truck. I am gonna weight the current truck and new 5er and compare it to the 5er that I am currently pulling.
I see we're pretty parallel.....nice new truck is too long to get into the garage, so it sits outside. I too was looking for a CC SB dually......nobody makes them! BUMMER

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #70

I believe Ford did make them for a while (even up to 2008 I think). Just google F350 DRW 156 (for a 156" wheel base).
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #71

Yes ford did make them but you could not melt me and pour me into a ford with a 6.0. The new dodge with the mega cab is a short bed but I don't think it is any short than a gmc cc long bed Drw.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #72

LOL I cannot speak to that motor at all as I upgraded from a 250 V10 (prior to the QBOK). The 6.7 is a beast though.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #73

I had a ford with a 6.0 it spent a lot of time in the shop. With a 6.0 I would not get to go camping bc I would not have a truck to pull the camper.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #74
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
Brandon, I just took delivery of my 36QBOK last month. Like you, when we decided on this model, I had a decision to make, as I had a very nice EFI Live tuned 08 2500HD and was looking for others towing with the same combination. I crunched all the numbers and was sure that I'd be over in pretty much every category, in spite of the power train being more than capable. I looked at doing the exact things Baron suggested-bags, sway bar, upgraded tires, and adding a leaf to get to where a 1 ton SRW truck's numbers would be, and still would have been over in more than one area. I decided to trade my 3/4 ton for the 1 ton dually in the end, mostly because I know that the worst time to realize that you need something is the moment you find yourself needing it and realizing you don't have it. At the end of the day, you're looking at putting a 42' sail behind you and all your beloved in the vehicle with you. If you decide to stay with the truck you have, definitely take steps to make it better suited. We all see setups that raise our brows for one reason or another, and hope/pray that nothing happens to make that person's choice affect us. Again, I never hooked up to the 36QBOK with the 2500HD, but having driven both trucks, I'd say I feel far more confident that I made the right choice after feeling the way the big 5er feels back there. By all means-it's a beast of a trailer. Congratulations and good luck, it's ultimately going to be you that decides, after you tow it.
Great advice...what I don't understand, I've read some guys towing the 36QBOK with 3/4ton gas engines...don't get it after reading your situation.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Great advice...what I don't understand, I've read some guys towing the 36QBOK with 3/4ton gas engines...don't get it after reading your situation.
+2. I wouldn't want to travel any lengthy distance with less than 1 ton. Dually would be nice, but I believe a 1-ton SRW with a beefy rear axle would be OK.
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #76

Quote:
The Ram MegaCab dually is only 8" longer than your current truck (4 of those extra inches make up the rear-seat leg room and another 6" are in behind-the-seat storage). You lose 2" of bed length, however, so I'd recommend using something like a Pullrite SuperGlide. Not sure if the Mega's 248" overall length is still too long for you.
bjlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Been there & done that, unfortunately... Cost us some bucks deciding to upgrade to an F350/3500 or go with a lighter 5er.

It was a tough decision as the 36' Cougar had the exact floor plan we wanted. With a new truck bed cover, bed liner, 5er hitch, DW, big puppy, airbags, firewood and camping gear, however; we were already near payload, and the loaded trailer's hitch weight put us well over all specs. Took a quick trip to the Texas coast and I knew that although I had plenty of hp and torque, that big rig was obviously made for a one-ton truck.

When we returned home, I gave serious thought to proceeding with what we had because even though the towing comfort wasn't what I wanted, I noticed on several forums that lots of folks tow over their TV's manufacturer's ratings and read the reasons why they do so.

DW then planned a trip with our two young granddaughters and my decision was much clearer and easier... We sucked it up and traded a nearly-new Cougar for the PT Crusader and gave up 5' of length and 2,000 lbs. in the process. There was a moderate, but reasonable increase in price, but the Crusader is the perfect match for my TV. We can all pile in, it drives great, and I sleep well at night. We learned the hard way, but benefitted in that we are happy to be back in the Forest River family, the Crusader is better constructed, and Prime Time has incredible customer service.

Next unit, easily five years out following this experience, will be a larger Prime Time 5er, then an F350 or F450 to match the towing requirements per manufacturer specs...
What crusader did you get we are looking at a new 5er and we also have a 2500 dodge cummins we are looking at a good size bunk house model
sbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreen View Post
What crusader did you get we are looking at a new 5er and we also have a 2500 dodge cummins we are looking at a good size bunk house model
We settled on the 295SRT. They don't make a bunkhouse version; however, we're very happy with the decision. Just pulled in to Table Rock SP in the Ozarks after driving up several sizable mountain passes in 100 degree plus heat. Saw two overheated rigs (1/2 ton Ford pulling a 5er & 1/2 ton Chevy pulling a sizeable bumper-pull TT) pulled over on the side of the road on the way up. Both with hoods up... Almost sure they were pulling too much weight with not enough truck...

Best of luck on your decision...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #79

Any advise for towing a Sabre QBOK36 with an f350? Husband is letting me taking the fifth wheel for its maiden voyage. It is also the first time for me towing the fifth wheel!! Not worried about going straight and our spot is a pull thru. I am a little worried about making left and right hand turns while on the road.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Any advise for towing a Sabre QBOK36 with an f350? Husband is letting me taking the fifth wheel for its maiden voyage. It is also the first time for me towing the fifth wheel!! Not worried about going straight and our spot is a pull thru. I am a little worried about making left and right hand turns while on the road.
Keep an eye on your mirrors when turning. Watch for the tires of the camper. You will find left turns easier but regardless you want to pull a little further ahead then you would in a car or without a trailer and probably will turn a little sharper (especially right hand turns). Might help if you can find a near empty parking lot before you head out and practice a few turns. Most important, take your time and remember the trailer will go where the truck goes.