Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

36QBOK Picking up on Saturday

Looking forward to picking up our QBOK on Saturday. We upgraded from a 2011 Keystone Laredo 303TG. We really enjoyed our Laredo but are pretty excited to start camping in our new Sabre. Will be pulling with a 2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually. Haven't pulled a 5th wheel before so that will be a new experience. Any tips, Tricks, Do's or Don'ts would be appreciated. We have a seasonal campsite in Watertown, WI but will venture out 5 to 10 times throughout the summer to Iowa and Northern WI.

Thanks for any information. I've enjoyed reading all the posts on this forum and it helped us in making our decision on the QBOK.

EC
Ericc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #2

Congrats on the new rig! One thing that will take some getting used to is the amount of swing the back end has when maneuvering around. Otherwise they tow really good and are very agile for a big trailer.
CBergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #3

Welcome to the Sabre family from a fellow Wisconsinite. Looks like Saturday should be a good day weatherwise to pick up a your new 36QBOK. Did you buy from Freedom RV? Great people there.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Congrats & make sure to post a pic of the new rig combo hooked up...watch your turns so you don't scuff the trailer tires...besides that, gonna love the towing attitude of a 5'ver over a TT!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats! And good luck!
Imo pulling, backing a 5er is way easier than a tt.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats on the new Sabre! You, and your family, will love the layout. Take things slow at first, and always have a plan in your mind for 100yds ahead of you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Always Learning

Congrats!

When backing up, your camper will take a bit longer to respond because the pivot point is in the middle of the truck bed. That spot has to move side to side before the back of the camper will turn any. Different from a bumper pull which reacts almost immediately.

Use smaller corrections than you think you need. I always look like my truck is a windshield wiper swinging back and forth as I overdo corrections one way then the other!

For pulling, watch the trailer tires on the inside of the turn to pass whatever obstacle you're avoiding (curb, sign, other vehicle) before you really start cutting your turn.

And lastly- the one place that I give my dealer a ton of kudos is that on pickup day, they sent a tech with me on a test drive for 30-45 minutes or so. He have me tips as we went. It gave me a ton of confidence!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #8

Howdy Wiscampin, We bought at Freedom. Its the 2nd camper we have purchased there. Extremely happy with the staff and how we have been treated by them. I don't see a reason to buy a camper anywhere else in SE Wisconsin.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #9

Ericc57,
Our Sabre is the 2nd camper we ordered/purchased from Freedom too, first was a 2008 Jayco Eagle TT. I agree, they do treat you well. We also live in Waukesha county, township of Ottawa about 7 minutes from Kettle Moraine State Forest - Ottawa Lake. We park our Sabre on a seasonal site just west of Montello. Enjoy your day Saturday and make sure you get the 2nd year warranty from FR, well worth the $150. If Freedom doesn't tell you about it here's a link:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...orm-22882.html

Hope all goes well Saturday during your PDI and have fun!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

Congrats on the new QBOK. I'm curious when you ordered yours and how long it took to arrive. I ordered mine on January 30th and haven't heard a word from my dealer on its progress. He originally thought it would be late March....but here we are in late March and I've not heard from them.
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Thanks Wiscampsin.... We camp at Riverbend Campground in Watertown. This will be our 2nd year as a seasonal. We like that we can be there in 45 mins and stay until late on Sunday and still be home in a decent time. Riverbend is the perfect campground for our 2 little kids. I'm not a huge fan of extended warranties but we had it on the Laredo and for a bit more $$$ were able to roll the remainder of the extended warranty over to the Sabre giving us 5 years total. With so many moving parts, appliances etc. I like have the piece of mind of the full extended warranty.

I appreciate all the info

EC
Old 03-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates55 View Post
Congrats on the new QBOK. I'm curious when you ordered yours and how long it took to arrive. I ordered mine on January 30th and haven't heard a word from my dealer on its progress. He originally thought it would be late March....but here we are in late March and I've not heard from them.
Pirate, We got lucky and the in stock model at the dealership was exactly what we were looking for. It however doesn't have the 2nd AC unit so I'm currently debating having that installed or maybe doing it myself. I'm told its prewired but I'm not sure what all that entails. I've read several posts in the forum stating the 2nd AC is a must. I'm on the fence on seeing how it does for the summer or just biting the bullet and installing it now.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #13

Contgrats!!!! I'm getting excited as well I'm picking up mine tonight. The forecast says 40's and a high of 59 on Sunday I think we might take a shovel out move some snow and have a fire!!! how do you know the price of that that second year warranty? I've been debating with my wife to buy their 5year warranty or to keep up with the requirements of that "warranty for life" program. They said annual maintenance for "wfl" would be $250 a year. Did any of you buy extended warranty or paint and fabric protection stuff?

Thanks
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
cronek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Always Learning

No matter if you do an extended warranty or not - get the 2nd year offered directly by Forest River!

Cheers guys- I'm jealous of you getting the "new toy" factor!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #15

I purchased a new 5th wheel prior to my current diesel pusher (yea, I took a big hit when I traded in a 6 month old rig). Anyway, it did not have the back air unit....sales said it was not needed....BS. Our first trip we were in San Antonio, couldn't keep the unit close to comfortable......went out and bought the unit while there, me and my wife wrestled it up there and literally plugged it in, all wiring was there......you gotta have it, at least in TX heat.
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #16

Thanks I printed the 2nd year PDF. Is there any info on what it cost for each unit anywhere? Or easiest to just cl forest river? My salesman did not mention this
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Always Learning

The salesmen don't mention it. They *should* have included a form with your paper work. I found mine between manuals. It wasn't "hidden" but definitely wasn't called out to me. It should have the name, address and amount that you have to pay to send it into the warranty manager/FR.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #18

Thanks, pictures later mine isn't cool dark colors like most the new new ones and it seems to have the older front cap but.... it is new and I'm excited!!
"Duramax"

B&W companion slider
Old 03-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #19
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronek28 View Post
Thanks, pictures later mine isn't cool dark colors like most the new new ones and it seems to have the older front cap but.... it is new and I'm excited!!
I have one of the "uncool" white units...LOL
I thought I wanted the tan color but now really like my white...goes much better with the black DMAX

Enjoy the pick up process

Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #20

Enjoy your unit!!!! We just picked up last Saturday. I was like a kid on Christmas, grinning ear to ear!

Happy Camping!

N. TX and N. VA
tbob777 is offline   Reply With Quote