Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

4 or 6 point leveling system?

Hi all. New to this site. we just purchased a new 2014 Sabre 32BHOK-6.
I want to put an auto leveling system on it. Lippert sais 4 point and Bigfoot sais 6 point is needed for our length of 5th wheel, 35'8". who does one believe? any direction here would be helpful. Thanks from Minnesota.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

I would think a six point system would provide more stability and less frame stress. With that said we had a 4 point system on a motor home and it was great, and maybe all motor homes have a 4 point system.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNanMinn View Post
I want to put an auto leveling system on it. Lippert sais 4 point and Bigfoot sais 6 point is needed for our length of 5th wheel, 35'8". who does one believe? any direction here would be helpful. Thanks from Minnesota.
Given your weight and length I would opt for 6...better to have them than wish you did. What is ths cost difference?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

cost difference

Hi. thanks for the replies so far. the cost difference is about $600 bucks. So not alot more for the 6 point i guess.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Always Learning

I spoke with Bigfoot and they weren't as concerned about the length as they were about the frame strength. The guy I spoke with said that I could possibly go with a 4-point on my 42' fifth wheel, so long as the frame doesn't bend when being manipulated by the ends. The extra 2 jacks were added to support the frame, if needed.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

My 42 footer has 6 point and is very stable, it also has the happy jack stabilizers but I've never used them. Never moves at all
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Are you talking Lippert Level Up (the Hydraulic version) or Lippert Ground Control 3.0 the electric version? I have a 4-point Ground Control on my 2016 Wildcat 295rsx. I thought I was getting a 6-point but turns out that Forest River puts on a 4-point for trailers shorter than 40'.

It did come with electric rear stabilizers though so when I'm fully deployed I have the Lippert Auto level controlling the two front feet plus the two middle level jacks. After it's leveled, I then go to the rear and activate the two rear electric stabilizers. This is working very well and I'm happy with the setup.

The dealer charged me $1375 for the factory installed Ground Control 3.0 plus rear stabilizers. I think I got a deal ;-)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a 325RES 36,5 feets, and only a 4 points leveling system, work great.

Jean & Lucille
2014 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2011 Silverado Duramax 6.6L W/Allison
electroblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm at 35'3" and it came with a 4 point. The back two are right behind the rear wheels and not at the end of the trailer. There is probably another 8' of trailer after the rear stabilizers, which in our case is the bunkhouse.

Even with the Steadyfast system installed, if I'm in the front in bed, I can feel the boys jump out of their bunk in the back. It's not bad at all, but I've wondered if there were 6 stabilizers/jacks with 2 being at the very rear, if it would change the feel. I'm happy with the Steadyfast solution and the way it stabilized the trailer, so I'm not going to go out of my way to change my setup now.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #10

To kohai:

My 4-point electric controls 4 electric leveling jacks. The 2 front legs are of the same type as the 2 mid-point jacks and all 4 are controlled by the Lippert Leveling system. The mid-point jacks are as you described on your trailer, that is they are located just behind the rear wheels.

On mine, as yours, there are several feet between the mid-point jacks and the rear of the trailer. What's different for me is that my Wildcat has an additional 2 normal, scissor-type stabilizer jacks installed near the trailer rear (about a couple of feet north of the bumper. While scissor-type stabilizers are not meant to raise the trailer and they are not as strong as levelers and they are not controlled by the Lippert Level system, they do a great job of adding stability to the rear.

Even if you didn't want to buy the electric version of rear stabilizers, you could quite in-expensively add a couple of manual ones. Steady fast sells an add-on set designed for working with stabilizers and you could add that at the same time as the jacks.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
Old 04-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Cost

I have a new Chaparral Lite 29MK (32') which came with standard rear stab jacks which are virtually useless. I am considering installing leveling jacks of some kind but I am having some difficulty finding any costs estimates or recommendations. I have wheel chocks and a front king pin jack which mitigates the rocking a little but we will be living full time in it and the shivering on the floor when we walk is annoying. I am going to change the tires out to G rated tires for safety reasons but also hoping the stiffer sidewalls might help.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
To kohai:

My 4-point electric controls 4 electric leveling jacks. The 2 front legs are of the same type as the 2 mid-point jacks and all 4 are controlled by the Lippert Leveling system. The mid-point jacks are as you described on your trailer, that is they are located just behind the rear wheels.

On mine, as yours, there are several feet between the mid-point jacks and the rear of the trailer. What's different for me is that my Wildcat has an additional 2 normal, scissor-type stabilizer jacks installed near the trailer rear (about a couple of feet north of the bumper. While scissor-type stabilizers are not meant to raise the trailer and they are not as strong as levelers and they are not controlled by the Lippert Level system, they do a great job of adding stability to the rear.

Even if you didn't want to buy the electric version of rear stabilizers, you could quite in-expensively add a couple of manual ones. Steady fast sells an add-on set designed for working with stabilizers and you could add that at the same time as the jacks.
Interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
I have a new Chaparral Lite 29MK (32') which came with standard rear stab jacks which are virtually useless. I am considering installing leveling jacks of some kind but I am having some difficulty finding any costs estimates or recommendations. I have wheel chocks and a front king pin jack which mitigates the rocking a little but we will be living full time in it and the shivering on the floor when we walk is annoying. I am going to change the tires out to G rated tires for safety reasons but also hoping the stiffer sidewalls might help.
SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System

As mentioned in my other post, I found this system to work well for removing the giggle from walking around.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #14

Our new Sabre 34tbok(39'+) was ordered with the electric levelers and is four point, I believe. They didn't offer 6 point.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

Hbillsmith,
Did the Steadyfast stabilizers take most of the movement out of the trailer? We have the 296BHS and seems to have more movement than I expected. I have also been considering adding a set of scissor jacks at the rear because we feel the boys in the bunk house. Have wondered about the JT Strong arm stabilizers as well just not sure if they would help that much.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Let me clarify that I do not personally own either the Steadyfast or the JTStrongarm. Having said that, I have many friends that do and they all report good results. The reason I don't have them (Yet) is that I've just recently taken delivery of my Wildcat with the Ground Control levelers and rear stabilizer. So far, I am happy with the stability as is on this 32' trailer. Of course it's not a bunk house and I don't have a lot of children running around.

Based upon conversations with friends that have the SteadyF or JTStrongs, I'd say the prime difference is convenience in setup. The Steadyfast uses a simple 3node twist knob and it's easy to set once you have all your jacks down. The JTStrongs are less expensive but require you to tighten under-trailer set screws (not really that difficult) and having to bend over and get down for the JT's is slightly more inconvenient than the twist knob of the Steadyfast.

If you don't have at least scissor jacks at the back under the bunk house, definetly start with those.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #17

We have the Columbus 320 and had Bigfoot install the 6 point system. Absolutely love it ! For the cost dif I went with 6 point and like someone stated when staying somewhere longer, we put down the rear stabilizers for an 8 point support. We had also added the stong arm stabilizers to the front landing gear but have found we don't use or need it. Rock solid ! The guys at Big foot know how to build and install levelers. On a side note, before we left their business the installer said if we ever had problems to call him 24/7. Now thats pride in your work. NO I don't work for them, just a very happy customer.
baysalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #18

hbillsmith,

I got who posted what crossed you with kohai. I do appreciate the advise though and that really has helped me decide to add the 2 rear scissor stabilizers. Thanks again.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi. thanks for the replies so far. the cost difference is about $600 bucks. So not alot more for the 6 point i guess.
I would go with the 6 point *hydraulic* system. Lippert makes one BTW.

Electric levelers take time to level. The Hydraulic ones are very quick and level to 1/10" Also the Lippert comes with a remote control. Once you are parked where you want o camp, hit a button and the front levelers lift the King Pin to drive-away/Hitch-up height. Open your jaws, drop the tailgate and unplug the umbilical & drive away. Hit a button and your rig is leveled.

Conversely, when it's time to leave, you hit a button and your rig goes to hitch-up height, you back up, connect, close jaws, hit another button and everything retracts and you are ready to hit the road!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Let me clarify that I do not personally own either the Steadyfast or the JTStrongarm. Having said that, I have many friends that do and they all report good results. The reason I don't have them (Yet) is that I've just recently taken delivery of my Wildcat with the Ground Control levelers and rear stabilizer. So far, I am happy with the stability as is on this 32' trailer. Of course it's not a bunk house and I don't have a lot of children running around.
HillBill, you will never need JT Strongarms with your Ground Control system. They would add nothing since your Ground Control levelers lift your unit off the ground
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling