Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
...Also MAKE SURE you have your X-Chock removed before you move your camper. If you drive off with an X-Cock in the edges of the chock (as it rotates) WILL break your steel belts. The tire(s) may not blow immediately. It may take many miles for that broken wire to make its way to the surface and cause a blow out.
I've tried pulling off a couple of times with the X-Chocks still on and couldn't even move the trailer.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
If you are worried about "dropping the fiver" check out:

Butch's 5th Wheel Latch Kit
The thread has good info, but I still think the Blue Ox Bedsaver is the only true protection from dropping a fifth wheel:
manufacturer's website

Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #33
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

I've tried pulling off a couple of times with the X-Chocks still on and couldn't even move the trailer.
My RotoChocks popped out when I went to move with them in. I then drove onto one and bent the handle for tightening it. I've since learned for them to be more effective that I need to make sure I'm getting them more centered on the tire depth-wise. Now I just hope I don't find out again if the new proper installation is better.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

They both do the same thing and Butch's takes up less space. I modified my hitch similar to Butch's and welded it on and shortened the emergency brake cable to where it pulls out just before the hitch pin hits the retaining bar similar to Butch's.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The thread has good info, but I still think the Blue Ox Bedsaver is the only true protection from dropping a fifth wheel:
manufacturer's website
With the pin in place it is impossible to drop the 5th wheel.
Better, IMO, than catching it AFTER it drops.

PS: The bed saver does not "save" your bed. It eats up the available bed space where stuff can be stored. By placing the protection on the hitch itself, no bed space is used for the safety device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1043.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	34849   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo F.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	34850  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
With the pin in place it is impossible to drop the 5th wheel.
Better, IMO, than catching it AFTER it drops.
I agree, and you don't have to depend on support members. I am extremely impressed with Butch's concept and I thank you Lou for showing it to everyone.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #37
Fulltime family RVer

I disagree that they do the same thing. We've been over this.

The Butch's product *has to be engaged* each time for it to be "active".

The Blue Ox product *is always engaged* and requires no user input to be "active".

IMO, a majority of drops are due to operator error - they forget a step or do something dumb. Forgetting to engage Butch's product (i.e putting the bar across) is a step that could be missed. Whereas, the Blue Ox product doesn't require the user to actively do anything on every hookup.

Unless I'm mistaken about Butch's product and you CAN hitch over it and it NEVER has to be moved. Am I mistaken?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...Unless I'm mistaken about Butch's product and you CAN hitch over it and it NEVER has to be moved. Am I mistaken?
I suppose you could with a little effort, but it would be difficult. As for having to engage the bar, I also have to secure the lock/latch. You also have to remember to lower the tailgate. I would rather engage the shaft on Butch's than loose the space. That's what makes this world go around.

BTW, Butch's is only $50.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
I suppose you could with a little effort, but it would be difficult. As for having to engage the bar, I also have to secure the lock/latch. You also have to remember to lower the tailgate. I would rather engage the shaft on Butch's than loose the space. That's what makes this world go around.
I understand. I guess I'm curious, if you're going to remember all of the steps - what's the point of Butch's product? Saving you in case of a mechanical failure? And, if so- of what?

Quote:
BTW, Butch's is only $50.
From what I know, Butch's is 1/4 to 1/5th of the price of the Blue Ox product ($200-$250 when I looked once). But, they're not the same thing and offer different levels of protection.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I understand. I guess I'm curious, if you're going to remember all of the steps - what's the point of Butch's product? Saving you in case of a mechanical failure? And, if so- of what?...
I guess I don't understand, I hitch, get out of the truck, flip a tab over the latch, insert and lock a padlock, loop the brake cable over the latch handle, insert the Butch shaft, plug in the elec. cord and that's it other than replacing the tonneau cover side and closing the tailgate. The trailer cannot come off the hitchplate with Butch's catch and therefore cannot drop.

Tags
5er