Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

5R needs new Batteries

I have the original batteries in my 5R since I purchased it in July 2013. Two Interstate 6V. I feel they have preformed fairly well. We camp more that 60 days a year. Most of the time we are hooked up to shore power but we also do some dry camping. The batteries are not holding a charge as they used too. I do not think my converter is anything complex, especially in my FR rig. I am guessing single stage. (Maybe someone knows more). I live in Arizona at 5000ft of elevation so when the unit is stored (in a yard) the daytime temps in the summer are mid 80s. Winter days Mid-high 50 and nights can very often drop to just below freezing. I do not remove the batteries as they are quite heavy and positioned in a very bad place for lifting leverage and the DW is just not quite up to the task of helping. Taking all this into consideration I think the batteries have done a good job over the past 4+ years. I do not have solar but when dry camping use a generator to top them off. Heading off next month for a week in Death Valley so want to get these replaced.

I have been looking at the following batteries, Interstate, Crown, Trojan and Costco brand. Anyone have recommendations or experience of certain batteries? Those to avoid etc.

Any info is appreciated.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #2

You have gotten pretty good life out of the interstates. I personally would go with the trojans as we run them in a golf cart and they are going on year 7 now but have noticed reduced power and shorter runs before needing charging.
As with any wet cell battery maintenance is key to long life. Good luck and just go with what makes you happy.
whitewinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Your 2014 Sabre has at least a three stage converter.
Single stage converters are a thing of the past.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Always Learning

I opted for upgrading to lithium batteries but I have my eyes on boondocking more. My long range plans include solar.

http://learntorv.com/battery-upgrade/

Super expensive but the pros outweigh the cons.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Bikendan

Very good to know about the converter. Thanks much.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

X2 on the Trojan recommendation. They have several lines and types of deep cycle 6V but for your purposes & location it sounds like the standard marine/rv models will do well and are widely available at good prices. Given the location and he heat in your area...you might do well to consider an easy filling solution like those from flow-rite/profill so it is easy to keep the water up in high & dry temps. https://flow-rite.com/battery-wateri...rv/pro-fill-rv
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

5RNeeds New Batteries

Have you considered AGM batteries, even though the cost is high; I've heard 7 years on these?
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd be pretty pleased with the life you've received from your batteries and your current set up. Replacing flooded batteries every 4-6 years in an R/V where the battery can see some extended drain is fairly normal under regular use.

Trojans have a good reputation but there's nothing 'wrong' with the service you've received from the Interstates.

Purchase what you like best and plan to do it again in 4-6 years.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeddler View Post
Have you considered AGM batteries, even though the cost is high; I've heard 7 years on these?
AGM's don't like high temp charging environments much unless you have the ability to do temperature controlled charging so the case temps stay under 120 degrees. The also need to be fully recharged to retain full capacity and are sensitive to being left in an partially charged state.

They deliver LESS cycles in the lab vs. wet cells...but often last longer in real life due to the poor maintenance given to wet cells by their owners!

They have numerous advantages like no maintenance and very low self discharge rates in storage and quicker charging capability... but it is the no maintenance aspect rather than chemical design that makes them last longer for many folks. About 2x the price of wet cells is the major disadvantage.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

walmart

walmart battery's have good reviews...
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #11

I agree with the Trojans. Trojans will last 7-10 years with proper care. Down here in the Tampa Bay area I pay about $100 each for the T-105 6v Trojan. Personally I wouldn't buy anything else.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries