Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch

I just bought a 31 rets-6 and now am trying to figure out if i should go with the super slider hitch or the manual slider hitch. I have a 2500 dodge with a short bed. I was just thinking of situations where it would be nice to have the auto super slide like pulling into gas stations or maneuvering in small town. I got until March to decide before I pick up my new camper. Any opinions?
rdvanorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Well, it probably all depends on how you feel about getting out and manually sliding the hitch, or sitting in the truck and letting the hitch do it all for you. I kinda don't think you're going to have as many issues as you're thinking you might as almost all the new 5th wheels nowadays are designed with shortbed pickups in mind. Meaning you have to take a pretty sharp turn to need the slider. I thought going back to a shortbed backing into my driveway would be an issue. But the first time I did it, I did not use the slider and had no problems. I had my wife keep an extra eye on the cab and front of the 5er, but there was plenty of room still.

It all comes down to peace of mind. Whichever one makes you feel better (and that you can afford!).
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

Thumbs up

I have a Sabre 2012 31RETS and I installed a 16K Draw-tite/Reese with manual slider and all is good if ever I need it.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

If you're having to buy a new hitch just as soon get the slider for piece of mind. If you want the best go with the PullRite super slide. I never have to think about my turns and hitting my truck. Just my way of thinking. Have fun with the new camper...
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

rdvanorder,

I also have the 31 RETS and have a Dodge short bed. While you do not say what year your truck is, my truck, (see sig) is a 2000 Quad cab short bed. I too was trying to decide which hitch to buy when I was getting my 5th wheel. I looked at the auto sliders but found that you had to be nearly straight with the trailer to hook up. The only place in my yard that I could park my trailer required me to be at a larger angle between the truck and trailer than was allowed by the auto slider hitch to hook up. I went with the Husky manual slider hitch and have been satisfied so far. I have been able get the truck almost 90 degrees from the trailer and still not touch the rear of the truck with the trailer with the hitch in the normal forward towing position. I tested this in a large area just so that I would know how tight I could go without sliding the hitch. This gave me peace of mind when getting into fuel stations, parking lots, ect. I have been able to turn in a cul de sac by my brother's place also without sliding the hitch. I would definitely get a sliding hitch, however, keep in mind the fact that you have to be fairly straight to hitch/unhitch with the auto slider, at least that is what my research told me.

HTH

Jim
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

I have a short bed dodge and I thought that I needed a slider until a free hitch came my way. I'm not upset about the fixed hitch at all. If you're pulling into a gas station and need to worry about a slider, then you need to look for different stations. I've pulled into some tight ones with no problems. Parking at home required a tight turn next to the shed and I hit it on one shot. I don't think they're necessary.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWeir View Post
rdvanorder,

I also have the 31 RETS and have a Dodge short bed. While you do not say what year your truck is, my truck, (see sig) is a 2000 Quad cab short bed. I too was trying to decide which hitch to buy when I was getting my 5th wheel. I looked at the auto sliders but found that you had to be nearly straight with the trailer to hook up. The only place in my yard that I could park my trailer required me to be at a larger angle between the truck and trailer than was allowed by the auto slider hitch to hook up. I went with the Husky manual slider hitch and have been satisfied so far. I have been able get the truck almost 90 degrees from the trailer and still not touch the rear of the truck with the trailer with the hitch in the normal forward towing position. I tested this in a large area just so that I would know how tight I could go without sliding the hitch. This gave me peace of mind when getting into fuel stations, parking lots, ect. I have been able to turn in a cul de sac by my brother's place also without sliding the hitch. I would definitely get a sliding hitch, however, keep in mind the fact that you have to be fairly straight to hitch/unhitch with the auto slider, at least that is what my research told me.

HTH

Jim
Thanks for the info. I have a 2011 dodge diesel crew cab with the short bed. It measures 6'4". It sounds like from what I have been reading that the manual slider would work just fine. The difference between the two that I'm looking at is about 1000$. Got a little time to think about it yet.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
Parking at home required a tight turn next to the shed and I hit it on one shot.
"Hit it" as in get it parked without incedent on the 1st try.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

Rdvanorder,

We took delivery on our 2012 34REQS-6 on the 17th. I went with a Husky Slider as much for peace of mind. It wasn't that much more and prevents a "sure wish I had..." moment. Went with the manual. Just couldn't justify the extra money for the automatic one. Enjoy your new camper.
2011 F-250 CC/SB/6.2L Gas/2X
Nights Camped 2012 = 14
westyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Thanks so much for all the replies. I am comfortable now going with the manual slider. Thanks again
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvanorder View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies. I am comfortable now going with the manual slider. Thanks again
As a late update to your post I as well have a manual slider and have yet to use it.
Half a dozen camping trips in various situations and have not even come close to needing to slide our 5th .I have a 2500 Chevy short bed and clearances have been fine at this point.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #12

Cool Hitch

I have a f350 with a 6.5 bed. I bought 34reqs. After searching for the best buy and knowledgeable dealer I am confused. Three told me I would not need a slider and one said i might. confused any help will be appreciated.
DUCHIE
duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

I also have a 6 1/2' bed with a manual slide. Though I have only used it twice, just to be safe, I really didn't need it. However, it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

duchie...exactly as amxpress said. With the new 5th wheel designs, it is unlikely you will need it, but there may be that one time. Do you want to take that chance?? If you can afford it, it's best to get it. AT least a manual slider.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #15

We have the Reese revolution king pin on our 320rs. Search it and check cut video. It pivots under trailer and not in hitch. So far we love ours. We got it in a 90 degree turn in parking lot experimenting.
rugmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Agree Rugmanrn, we have the Reese Sidewinder on our new Flagstaff 8528RKWS and it works like a charm, I can turn more than 90 degrees and the trailer doesn't even come close to our 05 Silverado Ext Cab with a 6.5' bed. The dealer originally put in a manual slider and the DW and I couldn't stand the banging while taking off and stopping from all the loose joints in the mechanism. Had them replace it with a fixed hitch and activate the Sidewinder and the noise is all gone. Towed it this week and really like the way it works.

Tags
5th wheel