Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #51
win

I herd on another form that Aisin copied Allison

This may be true ,they look the same far as the casting is concerned

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #52
AKA KE2DX

All I know is, I have the Dodge crew cab longbed 6.7 Cummins engine, 6 speed auto and a fully loaded Columbus 320. I have NO problem with the hills in the Northeast, get 12 MPG towing and 24 solo. Its nice and quite at highway speed and around town. Well built and I've NEVER had any problem with it, Its just a tow BEAST...I If I ever had to replace it, I'd go with the Ram in a heartbeat!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhender View Post
I just made a trip from Ohio to Tampa Florida and back. I have the 6.7 Cummins in my Dodge RAM. Got 11.5 towing my Columbus down - fully loaded. Left it in Tampa for my return in October. Got 19.6 MPG on the return trip without the 5th wheel. I found my best mileage at around 68 MPH.
Was that computer MPG, or was that 'hard numbers'? Reason I ask is because we just made a trip from CT to Fla, and computer said 14.5 and my actual numbers were more in line with 10-10.5mpg. Just curious.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #54
GO GREEN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Uh... the cummins produces the exact same amount of power... Except it is doing it with 6 cylinders rather than 8... far less moving components which to me translates into reliability...
I'm sorry my first post here has to be one that is "argumentative," but the long and short answer to this is, "No it's not."
The Cummins makes 350hp and 808lb. ft. torque. Less horses and slightly more torque. The extra 8 is not added into the advertising from RAM, but it IS there.

Quote:
I would highly doubt there are any new diesels out getting 18-20 on a regular basis. That would require such a light foot at ALL times... I average that with mine driving 60 miles a day but I don't have any of the emissions crap on the newer ones and I have done a few other mods to improve the mileage... I would assume that if you are truly getting those numbers they are coming from the computer of the truck with is always know to be high! If that's the case I get 24.2MPG with mine!
I drive 38 miles each way to work, 5 days a week and my numbers by hand are 18.5 normal average and as high as 19.5 in perfect weather.

Quote:
They will be pretty much the same, as they all really are and it comes down to preference really is all...
No, they won't be pretty much the same.

Ford removed two leafs from it's spring pack to provide a softer ride, however, they don't handle heavy loads as confidently as the Ram does. Don't doubt it, it's a fact. The Ford rides better, but just doesn't have the same remarkable prowess the Ram has. However, that's NOT to say it's incapable or anything of the sort. Just that when you remove two spring leafs something has to give.

The Ford is a great engine made in-house and provides V8 performance, but has yet to be proven the way the Cummins has.

Lastly, the Ford is nearly as quiet as a gasoline engine. The Cummins, while greatly improved over previous model years, is louder than the Ford. Under load it sounds very powerful and actually smoothes out.

It comes down to preferences, really. The Ram is a bit more tame looking while the Ford just went crazy with the looks.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #55
GO GREEN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Maybe I'll be able to get a Ford/Cummins truck when I move back! Yippee!
If you buy the Ram, you technically do.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #56
Incheon, S. Korea

This is almost as contentious as "do you put sugar in your cornbread?"
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #57

Some info from the manufacturer:
Cummins - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel for Pickups (2013) - Cummins Engines
PowerStroke - 6.7L Power Stroke Specs
As a side note it looks like the OP went with a Hemi - Pulled the trigger - RAM 2500
Old 08-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Some info from the manufacturer:
Cummins - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel for Pickups (2013) - Cummins Engines
PowerStroke - 6.7L Power Stroke Specs
As a side note it looks like the OP went with a Hemi - Pulled the trigger - RAM 2500
So... What are the differences again?

Look pretty close to me!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

IMHO if you plan on keeping this TV longer than the warranty will last, go with the Ram. The Ford will eat you alive in repair cost !!!! From experience ! Just say 'n I have had 4 new Ford trucks, and thrown a lot of. $ at them. Now I have a 2012 Ram w/cummins . I do not yet have a long term comparison . But.... This thing is a towing beast! If it lasts, it will be what I will stick with. !
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
IMHO if you plan on keeping this TV longer than the warranty will last, go with the Ram. The Ford will eat you alive in repair cost !!!! From experience ! Just say 'n I have had 4 new Ford trucks, and thrown a lot of. $ at them. Now I have a 2012 Ram w/cummins . I do not yet have a long term comparison . But.... This thing is a towing beast! If it lasts, it will be what I will stick with. !
Funny how that works....
I've owned nothing but Ford trucks all my life (and come to think of it, so did my late father). Having said that, I never put more than a couple alternators or front suspension components, besides regular maint. stuff. The truck I traded in toward the one I have now, had the 5.4 gas with 120,000 and had no issues with the plugs etc... like "They" said I would.
Having just come back from Disney's Fort Wilderness, I would conservatively say the ratio ( for large fifth wheel campers ) of Ford SD 6.7's was something like 6/10, and the rest 3/10 GMC/Chevy and Dodge bringing up the rear. Just saying, not bashing .
I would say too that Ford has done a great job quieting down these motors. It was much nicer not having to listen to the louder, older diesels of yesterday. DuraMax and Cummins will respond to this matter sooner than later, I'm sure.

2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags