Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #41
IndyDave

I like the fact that my 2012 Dodge 6.7 Cummins is mated with a Mercedes transmission and Case rear end. Sounds like durability to me.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #42

As a heavy equipment mechanic I feel that the cummins is a good engine. The remarks that the ford can't get 18-20 mpg are incorrect. I own a 2011 and it does get 18-20 on the highway. When we hook our Blue Ridge fiver to it at nearly 15k it gets 11-11 1/2 mpg at 65. I have brand new fords and rams in our fleet at work. While the cummins lacks horsepower to the ford the torque is almost identical. The cab on the dodge is very nice. However, there are reasons that ford has been the number 1 selling truck for so long. Drive both, I have, the only real objection to the Ram is that is the lighter duty trucks (under 4500 series) the trans is lacking and the cummins is noisier and vibrates in the cab. Drive both and see how you feel in them. Neither is a bad truck. I favor my ford.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
IndyDave

I just made a trip from Ohio to Tampa Florida and back. I have the 6.7 Cummins in my Dodge RAM. Got 11.5 towing my Columbus down - fully loaded. Left it in Tampa for my return in October. Got 19.6 MPG on the return trip without the 5th wheel. I found my best mileage at around 68 MPH.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #44
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankm2 View Post
I heard ford purchased cummins a few years ago, but dodge had a contract for the motor until 2016.
Maybe I'll be able to get a Ford/Cummins truck when I move back! Yippee!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I've done a few searches on the ford owning cummins topic, and I'm beginning to think is is not true. Anyone know for sure or not?
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #46
Incheon, S. Korea

Just checked the financials. Cummins is an independent Fortune 500 company. The only Ford with a Cummins engine is the F650!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #47

I had already said that cummins is its own company ford did not buy us. Cummins also owns the ONAN generators. Holset turbos fleet guard filters. I work for a cummins distributor
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #48

Quote:
I like the fact that my 2012 Dodge 6.7 Cummins is mated with a Mercedes transmission and Case rear end.
If you are referring to the Aisin 6 speed transmission, it's not a Mercedes transmission. It's made by Aisin-Seiki, a Japanese company that's 30% owned by Toyota. In fact, they make the 6 speed transmission in the Tundra, manufactured in Durham, NC. It is a very good transmission and has been used in the Dodge Cab & Chassis for a few years now, behind the 6.7 CTD. As for the differential, I was told it was a Dana, though I can't confirm it. I thought Case made farm tractors & implements.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #49
daydreaming about camping

He is probably referring to the G56 transmission which is made by Mercedes and comes from their medium duty line in Europe.

I agree the Aisin is an incredible transmission.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #50

I see, didn't even think about a manual tranny. Good point.
I call that good international relations, an American engine with a German transmission in an Italian truck. Works for me!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #51
win

I herd on another form that Aisin copied Allison

This may be true ,they look the same far as the casting is concerned
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #52

All I know is, I have the Dodge crew cab longbed 6.7 Cummins engine, 6 speed auto and a fully loaded Columbus 320. I have NO problem with the hills in the Northeast, get 12 MPG towing and 24 solo. Its nice and quite at highway speed and around town. Well built and I've NEVER had any problem with it, Its just a tow BEAST...I If I ever had to replace it, I'd go with the Ram in a heartbeat!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhender View Post
I just made a trip from Ohio to Tampa Florida and back. I have the 6.7 Cummins in my Dodge RAM. Got 11.5 towing my Columbus down - fully loaded. Left it in Tampa for my return in October. Got 19.6 MPG on the return trip without the 5th wheel. I found my best mileage at around 68 MPH.
Was that computer MPG, or was that 'hard numbers'? Reason I ask is because we just made a trip from CT to Fla, and computer said 14.5 and my actual numbers were more in line with 10-10.5mpg. Just curious.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #54
GO GREEN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Uh... the cummins produces the exact same amount of power... Except it is doing it with 6 cylinders rather than 8... far less moving components which to me translates into reliability...
I'm sorry my first post here has to be one that is "argumentative," but the long and short answer to this is, "No it's not."
The Cummins makes 350hp and 808lb. ft. torque. Less horses and slightly more torque. The extra 8 is not added into the advertising from RAM, but it IS there.

Quote:
I would highly doubt there are any new diesels out getting 18-20 on a regular basis. That would require such a light foot at ALL times... I average that with mine driving 60 miles a day but I don't have any of the emissions crap on the newer ones and I have done a few other mods to improve the mileage... I would assume that if you are truly getting those numbers they are coming from the computer of the truck with is always know to be high! If that's the case I get 24.2MPG with mine!
I drive 38 miles each way to work, 5 days a week and my numbers by hand are 18.5 normal average and as high as 19.5 in perfect weather.

Quote:
They will be pretty much the same, as they all really are and it comes down to preference really is all...
No, they won't be pretty much the same.

Ford removed two leafs from it's spring pack to provide a softer ride, however, they don't handle heavy loads as confidently as the Ram does. Don't doubt it, it's a fact. The Ford rides better, but just doesn't have the same remarkable prowess the Ram has. However, that's NOT to say it's incapable or anything of the sort. Just that when you remove two spring leafs something has to give.

The Ford is a great engine made in-house and provides V8 performance, but has yet to be proven the way the Cummins has.

Lastly, the Ford is nearly as quiet as a gasoline engine. The Cummins, while greatly improved over previous model years, is louder than the Ford. Under load it sounds very powerful and actually smoothes out.

It comes down to preferences, really. The Ram is a bit more tame looking while the Ford just went crazy with the looks.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #55
GO GREEN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
If you buy the Ram, you technically do.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #56
Incheon, S. Korea

This is almost as contentious as "do you put sugar in your cornbread?"
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #57

Some info from the manufacturer:
Cummins - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel for Pickups (2013) - Cummins Engines
PowerStroke - 6.7L Power Stroke Specs
As a side note it looks like the OP went with a Hemi - http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-45249.html
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Some info from the manufacturer:
Cummins - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel for Pickups (2013) - Cummins Engines
PowerStroke - 6.7L Power Stroke Specs
As a side note it looks like the OP went with a Hemi - http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-45249.html
So... What are the differences again?

Look pretty close to me!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

IMHO if you plan on keeping this TV longer than the warranty will last, go with the Ram. The Ford will eat you alive in repair cost !!!! From experience ! Just say 'n I have had 4 new Ford trucks, and thrown a lot of. $ at them. Now I have a 2012 Ram w/cummins . I do not yet have a long term comparison . But.... This thing is a towing beast! If it lasts, it will be what I will stick with. !
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
IMHO if you plan on keeping this TV longer than the warranty will last, go with the Ram. The Ford will eat you alive in repair cost !!!! From experience ! Just say 'n I have had 4 new Ford trucks, and thrown a lot of. $ at them. Now I have a 2012 Ram w/cummins . I do not yet have a long term comparison . But.... This thing is a towing beast! If it lasts, it will be what I will stick with. !
Funny how that works....
I've owned nothing but Ford trucks all my life (and come to think of it, so did my late father). Having said that, I never put more than a couple alternators or front suspension components, besides regular maint. stuff. The truck I traded in toward the one I have now, had the 5.4 gas with 120,000 and had no issues with the plugs etc... like "They" said I would.
Having just come back from Disney's Fort Wilderness, I would conservatively say the ratio ( for large fifth wheel campers ) of Ford SD 6.7's was something like 6/10, and the rest 3/10 GMC/Chevy and Dodge bringing up the rear. Just saying, not bashing .
I would say too that Ford has done a great job quieting down these motors. It was much nicer not having to listen to the louder, older diesels of yesterday. DuraMax and Cummins will respond to this matter sooner than later, I'm sure.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags