Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #1

A/C Freon Gone #sadface

So we've owned our Sabre now for just over two years, fired up the 15k A/C last weekend to cool off the unit as the sun was starting to stay out and warm things up a bit, to our luck, it blew ambient temperatured air.

Contacted Dometic, they informed me the unit is only covered under a two year warranty based on date of purchase (May 2013) so it sounds like I'm SOL.

Had a RVIA certified guy come out and take a look at it on Sunday and found that the freon was gone (in his opinion). Compressor was kicking on, fans and everything were running as expected, just not getting cold.

Anybody have experience dealing with Dometic and getting them to cover just outside of warranty on something like this? How bout going back to Forest River/Palomino?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyshaw View Post
So we've owned our Sabre now for just over two years, fired up the 15k A/C last weekend to cool off the unit as the sun was starting to stay out and warm things up a bit, to our luck, it blew ambient temperatured air.

Contacted Dometic, they informed me the unit is only covered under a two year warranty based on date of purchase (May 2013) so it sounds like I'm SOL.

Had a RVIA certified guy come out and take a look at it on Sunday and found that the freon was gone (in his opinion). Compressor was kicking on, fans and everything were running as expected, just not getting cold.

Anybody have experience dealing with Dometic and getting them to cover just outside of warranty on something like this? How bout going back to Forest River/Palomino?
I doubt if they will do anything being out of freon. This could be corrected by an experienced tech. First it is a closed system, so he would have to add two ports one on the high side and one on the low. Very easy to do either with a self piercing, or welded in access ports. Have him pull a vacuum on the system and see if it will hold. If not then he needs to find the leak which could be anywhere either in the copper lines or alum coil. Once found that can be re welded and sealed. There is a name plate with the amount of charge such as 20 oz as a example. Then he will just weight it in. It would be a lot cheaper then a new unit. Any competent service company can do this. How did he determine that you were out of freon? If your unit was out it would shut the compressor off on internal overload with in mins. I don't think Dometic puts charging ports in to hook gages up to. A new unit might cost around $600 without labor. He could make the repair in 2 hrs.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

So, I contacted Dometic again. They have extended my warranty an additional 90 days. I need to contact an authorized service center to replace the unit
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
So, I contacted Dometic again. They have extended my warranty an additional 90 days. I need to contact an authorized service center to replace the unit
Well that's good news for ya!.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

They can refill and add a dye to find the leak. Probably a seal has dried out and needs replacing. Just had this done on my truck.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:

I'm about to find out mine still under warranty. My lost freon and will cycle just not cooling.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Anthony Shaw......I'd be surprised if it lost it's freon.....but if so,,,,,look for any oily areas. Freon goes off to the great ozone layer in the sky and oil is left as evidential leaks. That service guy that came out....did he line tap the system. I've done air conditioning for 40 years as my profession......no one person can assume it's out of freon without tapping into it. Could be, but I'd be surprised. Mark0024,,,there aren't any seals that can dry out on these types of AC's. it could be something as much as the reed valves in the compressor going out,,,,,,they don't ALL have reeds,,,but that's what we call them in the business. If the valves are out.....get a new AC. Unless they take care of it under warranty.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
2003 Georgetown 325

What Gramp Jim said. If the internals of the compressor have gone you will need a new A/C period.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote