Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #21

Our new Crusader came with Power King something or other, I don't know. We bought it January of 2014, yeah, we've pulled it all over the southeast, Nashville, VA beach, OBX, Savannah, and everywhere in between. We were getting ready to leave Raleigh, NC last month and my wife asked about tires and blister's, not two word's you want in the same sentence. Turn's out we had a golf ball size blister in the shoulder. I can promise you these tire's were never run low, 65psi verified before EVERY trip, load range D. I contemplated putting on the spare until I noticed the spare was built in 2008, I couldn't believe it. I decided to chance the 2-1/2 to 3 hour trip with the damaged tire versus the old tire, made it back no problem. I have since installed 4 new Maxxis load range E with metal stems. Tire was warrantied with no problem, the next step was to contact Forest River about a 7 yr old tire on our rig, they were in shock on how that happened. As of now I am waiting for a reimbursement from them on the 4 tire's I put on it, time will tell. So far everyone involved has handled the issues with no hassle, we are very pleased with the outcome. I will say that my OE tire's showed wear on both outer edges, under inflation, or overloaded. I am 100% positive they were not under inflated since we have owned the RV. We don't have a lot of things in our rig, time will tell on how the load range E will do.

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #22

I understand there is always one in every group. What I would like to know is if people have the large number of problems with after market tires as I see with OEM. I know contractor and lawn guys who inflict incredible abuse on their tires and never have a problem. I am sure there are OEMs that last well beyond expectations. I am simply looking to verify my premise that OE tires fail at a much greater rate than others. From what I can gather that is true.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:58 AM   #23
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2TRAVEL View Post
I am simply looking to verify my premise that OE tires fail at a much greater rate than others. From what I can gather that is true.
Curious me... if your premise is in fact true, what then?
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #24

Trail Express OEM 8k miles....2 yr 9 mo starting to crack near bead....hard to see crack
replaced with Maxxis D......much better ride, not sure if was because went from C to D or better material in tires.....or the higher tire pressure....can t help you with lasting as they are just less than a yr mfg date......good luck....your post should be brand specific instead of local tire shop????

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #25

To date I have not had any issues from OEM or Tire Dealer tires...... But on the bigger trailers I try to change them every 4-5 years or if they show any dry rot, have not used any particular brand but will when I change them on the camper.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #26
Alleged curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2TRAVEL View Post
I understand there is always one in every group. What I would like to know is if people have the large number of problems with after market tires as I see with OEM. I know contractor and lawn guys who inflict incredible abuse on their tires and never have a problem. I am sure there are OEMs that last well beyond expectations. I am simply looking to verify my premise that OE tires fail at a much greater rate than others. From what I can gather that is true.
OEM tires are often the minimum required to do the job. Since so many replacements of OEM tires include upgrading from a Load Range C to a Load Range D tire, adding steel valve stems, balancing, etc., I have no doubt you will find support for your hypothesis. The added capacity and speed ratings alone would necessarily dictate that outcome. However, it is really not an apples to apples question.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #27

I just returned from a 8000 mile trip on OEM tires that were manufactured in 2012.
I had them balanced and replaced the valve stems with metal ones before I left.
I had no problems on the trip but when I took the fiver in to have it washed the owner of the RV shop noticed that one of the tires had started to develop a loose belt.
I really dodged a bullet so I will replace all tires with 10 ply From Discount Tire before my next trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
OEM tires are often the minimum required to do the job. Since so many replacements of OEM tires include upgrading from a Load Range C to a Load Range D tire, adding steel valve stems, balancing, etc., I have no doubt you will find support for your hypothesis. The added capacity and speed ratings alone would necessarily dictate that outcome. However, it is really not an apples to apples question.
Definitely not an apples to apples observation......... Different Forest River makes will and put on different tires. We all drive differently, we all go to different places, some roads are full of pothole while others are smooth....... etc. Loading......etc. etc. etc.

My camper has Load range E Westlake tires Aluminium rims with metal valve stems from the PUMA factory, but its gross weight is 14500. I would expect different results from my 26' 5th wheel gross 13500 flat trailer, or the 20' box trailer or the 8 foot one. It should be different results from all the different campers out there

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #29

We all understand there are many factors that effect tire wear and durability. Just making an observation that OEM tires are much more dangerous than others no matter the brand. That is just IMHO. Nothing more
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Curious me... if your premise is in fact true, what then?
If you travel very far or fast on OEM tires you are at greater risk of having a major tire problem. So you would change them as quickly as possible if you are concerned about such matters.

Tags
tire