Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

A different tire question

Has anyone had significant tire problems with tires that were installed by your local tire shop? Most of the horror stories seem to be about OE tires.
TN2TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #2

If the Install included (Steel valve stems and balance) and (Goodyear or Maxxis) there is not much Banter! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

I take it by the non replies that original equipment tires are the problem.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Meh, I have not had a problem with the OEM tires, just had them balanced at Discount Tires.

Nothing was found amiss, I just came back in from giving them a check.

One thing, you never hear/read about the tires on the road that have not given the owner a problem, I have not seen anyone post any data about the number of non failure tires verses the ones that do fail brand for brand.

I suspect the number of failed tires is far below the ones that do not fail.

Run the ones you have or not it is your money.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Ford I have to agree with you.I have going on 10,000 miles on my Westlakes.Good wear and they seem to be doing fine. Knock on wood.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

My own personal experience with the OEM tires was a blowout and $1800 damage on tires with less than 5k miles on them. When we bought our new 2012, I had them take the tires and wheels off our trade in with approx. 15k on them and put them on the new 5er. Just took them off last summer to put on our racecar trailer and had 5 new GY Marathons installed.

I personally wouldn't pull a new trailer off the dealers lot with OEM tires unless they were GY Marathons and balanced.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

I am curious, of the people that has had blowouts with the OEM tires; what load range were they? I was pretty excited to see mine came with LR D tires on a dry weight trailer of 6600 lbs. My last trailer was a Fleetwood Prowler that had 16" Goodyear Wrangler LT LR E tires on it from the factory. 13 years later that trailer still has the OEM tires on it with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
I am curious, of the people that has had blowouts with the OEM tires; what load range were they? I was pretty excited to see mine came with LR D tires on a dry weight trailer of 6600 lbs. My last trailer was a Fleetwood Prowler that had 16" Goodyear Wrangler LT LR E tires on it from the factory. 13 years later that trailer still has the OEM tires on it with no problems.
Mine were LR C inflated to 50psi. Replaced with GY Marathon LRD inflated to 65psi, balanced with TST TPMS monitor.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

I put quite a few miles on my OEM tires, but one had separated tread after a year and a few thousand miles. I replaced it with a Maxxis tire. I went to Phoenix and back in February, about 2,000 miles round trip. I replaced the other 3 when I got back with Maxxis. Two of the three were beginning to have tread separations. I just got lucky both times. I really pushed my luck because the last 3 had about 12K miles on them, but were only 4 years old. Like OldCoot, I won't trust OEM tires again. The $400- to 500- extra will not be hard to swallow, and I really hate being on the side of the road. I've got 2 trips of about 600 miles each on the Maxxis tires so far and they're barely showing any wear... and neither is the one replaced first which has at least 5,000 miles on it so far. I researched this and other forums and bought the Maxxis because of how few negative comments I read, as opposed to some others. And, as mentioned, steel valve stems and a good balance goes a long way.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

We have all had our experiences and I have had mine. What I did not hear is a set of tires replaced by a local dealer that failed. That is the question
Old 06-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #11

I am curious to the speed one is going when the tire blows.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #12

We know STs are only rated for 65 mph so any faster you are taking your chances
Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
I am curious to the speed one is going when the tire blows.
Mine blew at about 45-50mph.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My trail express didn't blow but I had a hunch they were bad. When replaced with GY the beads were rotten and the rubber crumbled. Glad I replaced when I did.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #15

OK last call. Has anyone experienced a significant tire failure of any brand that was NOT an OEM tire? Another way to state this is has anyone had a tire failure of any brand that was installed by your local tire shop?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2TRAVEL View Post
OK last call. Has anyone experienced a significant tire failure of any brand that was NOT an OEM tire? Another way to state this is has anyone had a tire failure of any brand that was installed by your local tire shop?
THere are a bunch of threads about different brand not OEM that had problems, no matter if they were the popular GY, or Maxxis. The last one I read was a GY Marathon that a belt broke. It was like a 1/3 bigger then the other 3 tires. GY did warrenty it. OEM tires are not that easy to replace even during the warranty period. Lionhead is a big supplier. They want you to send the blown tire back to them so they can determine if it was your fault or the tire. Now who is going to do that. Try and find a Trail Express dealer any where in the USA. Any tire can have a problem. Just easier to replace if it is done by a big box tire dealer. You can find GY dealers all over. So the short answer to your question is YES, but less frequent....I know a guy that blows a GY every year going to Goshen, but he hits curbs....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

He blows a GY every year?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #18

If that is all you want to hear, then YES. My aunt and uncle have an older Forest River Cardinal. It has had a few sets of tires through the years, so I know they are NOT OEM. The last set he bought from LesSchwab. This is a west coast tire dealer, if you haven't heard of them. I am not sure what brand LesSchwab installed, but two years later he blew two tires on one trip.

I know this is only part of the info you want, but it's all I have. And, in conclusion, I believe aftermarket tires blowout too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2TRAVEL View Post
He blows a GY every year?
He qualified it by saying he hits curbs! No tire will stand up to hitting curbs like this fellow does. If he had solid tires, he'd just bend wheels. I don't see how he keeps from tearing the axles out from under his trailer.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
He qualified it by saying he hits curbs! No tire will stand up to hitting curbs like this fellow does. If he had solid tires, he'd just bend wheels. I don't see how he keeps from tearing the axles out from under his trailer.
And his initials are?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire