Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Wish I was camping

A few issues with Columbus 385BHS

I am not in any way trying to discredit the product I just thought the following information might be of use to someone.

So here it goes.
First, there is sealing issues on the bunkhouse slide that has the outdoor kitchen. The rubber seal was installed to low and there was light showing through. The dealer moved it up then it got caught in the roller later and pulled loose partly. Also you can still see light at the bottom corners of the slide (this seems to be a design flaw with the way the corner seals are mounted).

Second, One of the inside seals on the main slide is coming loose. The staples got shot all the way through the rubber.

Third, The air conditioners are LOUD and do not seem to keep up. I found that there seems to be air leaking into the roof. There are definite cold spots on the roof. Not sure what is going on with this.

Fourth, The drawer sides are delaminating on several of the drawers in the kitchen. Also the drawer slides are just JUNK! I can't believe that they use them on a trailer like this. How much would it really cost to use ball bearing slides?

Fifth, The pantry drawers that pull out by the TV are missing the slides on the back. They only have a slide on the front and the bottom. I bet you couldn't put 20 pounds in there, let alone fill it with canned goods.

There is other minor quality control related issues but to many to mention. I think the list is up to 16 different things needing repair.

The good news is the dealer is more than willing to fix everything. Palomino is supplying the parts without complaining. Both the factory and the dealer have expressed that they want to get everything fixed. The factory did seem a little slow getting the part list to the dealer.

We do love the Columbus though! It is a beautiful trailer! I am just disappointed that we haven't got to use it more.
fice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Factory Rep

Ok, after reviewing your post we had a meeting at Columbus about it. Some of the post made no sense to us.
We use drawer glides with ball bearings
We don't use laminate drawer slides
A few other things that I wont address here
I will private message you with a Columbus contact number and a person so we can sort thru these issues. We are concerned but confused by the post .
The sky is not falling , we are here waiting to help.
Thanks for any input
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus
Ok, after reviewing your post we had a meeting at Columbus about it. Some of the post made no sense to us.
We use drawer glides with ball bearings
We don't use laminate drawer slides
A few other things that I wont address here
I will private message you with a Columbus contact number and a person so we can sort thru these issues. We are concerned but confused by the post .
The sky is not falling , we are here waiting to help.
Thanks for any input
Very responsible of you!
Thanks for being here for owners.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Wish I was camping

Chris,

I am glad that you felt the need to meet about the post. Thanks for that effort!
The post wan't meant to be completely descriptive. I just wanted to point out that there are numerous quality issues the product. The dealer has not disappointed me the factory has!
The issues are not hard to overcome but shouldn't be there in the first place.
Just FYI my DW went to confirm the whole drawer slide thing this morning and when she pulled out the draw under the fridge the slide fell completely apart. I have pictures that I will send you. As for the "laminate" comment, that is referring to the "plywood" that the drawers are made of.
I will PM you with more info tonight.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Wish I was camping

Chris / All,

I want to set the record straight. After getting home and inspecting closer the drawer slides are ball bearing. The problem appears to be that they are flimsy and not installed properly. The short drawers are missing one of the screws in the middle of the slides. This allow a lot of flex. The drawer under stove is not adjusted properly and caused the slide to pop apart.

2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually
B&W Companion hitch
Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Wish I was camping

Chris,

PM Sent

Matt

2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually
B&W Companion hitch
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #7

I agree with everything that Fice has said in these posts. I am having the same issues with mine as well as the satellite and cable wiring is labelled backwards on my unit. Not sure if this is the same on anyone elses unit. We love the trailer as Fice and everyone else who owns it seems to as well. The problem is just some of the finishing and quality of parts used seem to be lacking. I am hoping to get many years of enjoyment out of this camper but we tow it across Canada at least twice a year and am going to need a trailer that can hold up to this. The layout is great on this camper and I myself would be willing to have spent a little more if that would have meant better quality parts could have been used. As such if there is anyway i can upgrade any of the main components that seem to be having problems I would be willing to discuss this.

Thank you
Costanzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote