Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #51
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
ISO means you documented how you do things on paper. ISO rated manufacturing plant does not mean that they continued to do what they documented they do AFTER the company received the ISO rating. ISO came and went over the last 10 years. I've been in the automated packaging machinery business for 25 years and ISO has all but faded away from our industry. I don't see it in bid specs anymore.

Today's flavor of the day is FDA validation protocols. This to will fade to black if you give it enough time. Consultants have a way of inventing new grand schemes of a much better idea and way to do something to ensure quality.

The RV industry is actually a young industry. Figure it got going in earnest in 50's. Eventually and probably sooner than later, the old farts running the show will retire, die off, etc. The next generation of manufactures and buyers will take over. For all we know, a 40K built in the USA RV will come from overseas for 20K and be built just fine.
Slight disagree about what happens after a company receives their ISO certification - 1.- that being that if that happens, that company is not living up to the ISO standards they strove to and 2 - they are not receiving the kind of audits they should be.

I do agree that it seems to have lost the status it was supposed to have when the ISO concept started - but I have no way og knowing if that is true or not.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #52

Sadly I would hazard to guess as others have, that if China entered this industry they would bring a higher level of quality and quality control to the consumer. It would appear that the industry "gets away" with it because they have no off shore threat to them . Maybe that will change soon?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #53

Ret. from GM, worked in QC. Let me assure you, from what I saw, part of the QC debate lies clearly in the financial dept. if there's an issue with a widget, before anything is done about it, the question about warranty comes into play. The general question is how many units will fail PRIOR to warranty expiration?! Trust me, money is a businesses first consideration. FR as well as any other corp., is in business not to make the product, but to make money.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #54
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
... FR as well as any other corp., is in business not to make the product, but to make money.
Can't be true, they are in business to make a product(s) and make money. Can't have one without the other. No product, no money.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Can't be true, they are in business to make a product(s) and make money. Can't have one without the other. No product, no money.
The reality is the engineering is amazing.. the execution of the build is not always up to par.. the industry knows that most products assembled only have a one year warranty. Most major problems will show up long after the warranty expires. How many units can get built in 1 day is all the workers on the floor care about ( generally). Known defects in workmanship are for dealers to repair is the mentality.. ship it!

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
The reality is the engineering is amazing.. the execution of the build is not always up to par.. the industry knows that most products assembled only have a one year warranty. Most major problems will show up long after the warranty expires. How many units can get built in 1 day is all the workers on the floor care about ( generally). Known defects in workmanship are for dealers to repair is the mentality.. ship it!
Have to stress again, the workers do what they are told. You need to beat up on management from the floor foremen/supervisor clear to the top and in ALL the offices, engr., quality, accounting, logistics etc. You need to experience trying to do something with someone shouting at you to hurry, hurry, hurry at every task.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Have to stress again, the workers do what they are told. You need to beat up on management from the floor foremen/supervisor clear to the top and in ALL the offices, engr., quality, accounting, logistics etc. You need to experience trying to do something with someone shouting at you to hurry, hurry, hurry at every task.
Agree

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #58
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Slight disagree about what happens after a company receives their ISO certification - 1.- that being that if that happens, that company is not living up to the ISO standards they strove to and 2 - they are not receiving the kind of audits they should be.

I do agree that it seems to have lost the status it was supposed to have when the ISO concept started - but I have no way og knowing if that is true or not.
I agree with you 100%. Once the ISO is registered with a company, many of them fell back to their old ways. AND audits were expensive so they did not happen. This is why ISO faded away in my industry.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #59
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
I agree with you 100%. Once the ISO is registered with a company, many of them fell back to their old ways. AND audits were expensive so they did not happen. This is why ISO faded away in my industry.
Isn't there some sort of Headquarters of ISO that keeps up with the audits and if an ISO holder doesn't have audits and passes them, some sort of revoking the status process?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
Sadly I would hazard to guess as others have, that if China entered this industry they would bring a higher level of quality and quality control to the consumer. It would appear that the industry "gets away" with it because they have no off shore threat to them . Maybe that will change soon?
It's sad but true but it took the Japanese to bring the American Automotive industry around. If just one RV manufacture would put out a quality product equal the trucks that tow them maybe the rest would have to follow suit.

-BC-

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote