Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

AC issues?

Anyone else have AC issues or just AC quirks?

I have a 2014 Sabre 35QSIK and this weekend I had set the AC at 18 degrees, it run for a bit than cut off and wouldn't come back on even though it felt warmer than 18 in the trailer, the only way I got it to cool without stopping was the set it at the lower possible setting (15 degrees)

Also, I noticed that the AC is physically much smaller, does it have the same capacity as the bigger more conventional units?
Sebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That's only like 64 degrees f.
You should only set it 10 degrees lower than outside temp.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Problem is, if I set it any higher, it will stop well before the intended temperature! Yesterday it was 24ish outside, set it at 19 and it would stop before hitting 19. I will bring a thermometer next week and see if my "guesswork" is correct!

I wish we had a 50 Amp connection at our site so I could throw on the second AC!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebber View Post
Problem is, if I set it any higher, it will stop well before the intended temperature! Yesterday it was 24ish outside, set it at 19 and it would stop before hitting 19. I will bring a thermometer next week and see if my "guesswork" is correct!

I wish we had a 50 Amp connection at our site so I could throw on the second AC!
FYI - setting the AC well below (more than 10 degrees F) below outside air temperature in a humid air will result in coil icing and AC shutdown to avoid compressor damage.

Drop the air handler filter and you will see a covering of heavy frost. Your unit MUST cycle in order to prevent this. Cycling allows the frost to melt between cooling cycles and remove the humidity.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

I dealt with icing in my hybrid before and I am familiar with it! I checked it constantly this weekend because the AC is really bugging me and I saw no evidence of frost what so ever.

I know this is a bigger trailer than my Denali BH311 but it just feels like it doesnt get cold in the trailer.

Ready up on some posts I will look into checking to make sure no cold air is not making it to its destination and will seal everything with aluminium tape.

I think my main concern is that even if I set the Fan to Lo or High, the fan will shut off when the AC goes off and then will not re-start even if the temperature rises. I wonder if I may have a faulty thermostat.

being 2 hours from the dealer and all set up for the season, i hope I can avoid a trip to the dealer!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebber View Post
I think my main concern is that even if I set the Fan to Lo or High, the fan will shut off when the AC goes off and then will not re-start even if the temperature rises. I wonder if I may have a faulty thermostat.
This is certainly possible and an inexpensive test if you know someone whose thermostat can be borrowed. There are several threads here on how to replace/upgrade the OEM thermostats with "Hunter" and "Honeywell" thermostats if you want to try a "home store" solution first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Installation.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	54135  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RTH221 install and use instructions.pdf (1.05 MB, 44 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Awesome, thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

would anyone have the ducting diagram by any chance?