Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
semi-senior member

AC Vibration

Has any onh!e noticed any excessive vibration from the main AC in your 320RS? We are on our shakedown trip and it seems that the AC vibrates more than any other I've had. Whille laying on sofa you can really feel it. even when in bed on the other end. Never had one that vibrated this muc
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by denandra2 View Post
Has any onh!e noticed any excessive vibration from the main AC in your 320RS? We are on our shakedown trip and it seems that the AC vibrates more than any other I've had. Whille laying on sofa you can really feel it. even when in bed on the other end. Never had one that vibrated this muc
Had that problem one time and after taking the cover off the roof unit, discovered a mud dauber nest on one of the blades. After taking the blade off, cleaning & re-installing it, the problem disappeared. On our new trailer, I took the cover off and put screen wire from the coil to the fan housing completely enclosing the open area to prevent the mud daubers from nesting. Did/does not hamper the ac unit, it works great.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

There was a problem with the front AC units vibrating on the earlier built units, but they came up with a fix involving rubber mounts.
Your dealer shouldn't have much problem figuring out what's causing the rear AC to vibrate. They'll probably turn it on, get on the roof, and start touching things such as lines, wiring harnesses or brackets to determine what's transferring to the frame.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
semi-senior member

AC Vibration update

The LR AC unit on my 320RS was vibrating so much that you could feel it throughout, even while in bed. Today my dealers service dept checked it out and found that the shaft on the blower motor was bent causing the vibration. New blower motor on order. Just wonder if Dometic's quality control was asleep!!!!! At least my dealer has really been helpful. Still really like my 320!!!!
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The LR AC unit on my 320RS was vibrating so much that you could feel it throughout, even while in bed. Today my dealers service dept checked it out and found that the shaft on the blower motor was bent causing the vibration. New blower motor on order. Just wonder if Dometic's quality control was asleep!!!!! At least my dealer has really been helpful. Still really like my 320!!!!
As a follow up, FR AND the dealer should have caught it also. It could have been bent after it left Dometic.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #6

I am having the same issue with mine. I too think its a bent shaft. I will be heading off to the dealer when we get back from this trip. Let us know how the fix turns out.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
semi-senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
I am having the same issue with mine. I too think its a bent shaft. I will be heading off to the dealer when we get back from this trip. Let us know how the fix turns out.
SargeW
AC Vibration update
New fan motor and fan blades replaced today, checked it out while still at the dealers. No more vibration from the AC and I think it runs just bit quieter also. Will be leaving Thursday for an extended outing so it will get the real world test!!

Happy Camping
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #8

Thanks for the update. I have high hopes that the dealer will be able to get me the same results.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
semi-senior member

AC Vibration (again/still) UPDATE

Quote:
SargeW
AC Vibration update
New fan motor and fan blades replaced today, checked it out while still at the dealers. No more vibration from the AC and I think it runs just bit quieter also. Will be leaving Thursday for an extended outing so it will get the real world test!!

Happy Camping
Have been out for a couple of weeks now and after about three days of use my AC resumed the vibration that the above fix was suppossed to take care, if the shaft is bent on this one i think a new unit in total is in order. Something is causing the shafts to become bent. Will update after we get back from our trip to ND. Will be back to my dealer by end of week

Happy Camping!!!!
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #10

Bummer.........
Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #11

Ac vibration palomino columbus

My husband and I have a 2013 320rs and from the moment we took it out the AC -front and back vibrated badly and was very loud. We could get a massage sitting on the sofa-it vibrated so badly and you can feel the vibration in the kitchen. It roars in the bedroom. We have a spring popping in the theater seating and a leak in the window next to TV. With a few other problems to boot, the dealer told us to use it through summer, but a diode blew and we no longer had electricity. Now the columbus has been with dealer trying to fix AC problem for over a month and nothing seems to be working. Sounds like Columbus is resisting the obvious-PUT IN NEW AC UNITS! I AM NO LONGER ENCHANTED WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL UNIT and am tired of all the excuses when it is obvious that Houston has a problem. Please post any solutions you encounter.
Sbutler083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A diode blew ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

The best answer at this point is to contact FR customer service and complain long and loud. Their is a Columbus RV owners group on FB where you may get some help as well. Hang in there, it does get better.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbutler083 View Post
My husband and I have a 2013 320rs and from the moment we took it out the AC -front and back vibrated badly and was very loud. We could get a massage sitting on the sofa-it vibrated so badly and you can feel the vibration in the kitchen. It roars in the bedroom. We have a spring popping in the theater seating and a leak in the window next to TV. With a few other problems to boot, the dealer told us to use it through summer, but a diode blew and we no longer had electricity. Now the columbus has been with dealer trying to fix AC problem for over a month and nothing seems to be working. Sounds like Columbus is resisting the obvious-PUT IN NEW AC UNITS! I AM NO LONGER ENCHANTED WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL UNIT and am tired of all the excuses when it is obvious that Houston has a problem. Please post any solutions you encounter.
Couple of things to check 1) remove the AC cover and see if mud daubers made nests inside the fan, this happened to us on our 2011 Rockwood. 2) make sure that the fan is not damaged. On our 2013 prime time tracer the fan blew itself appart (made in china), when I ordered the new fan it was made in the US and it did not vibrate. 3) spin the fan by hand and see if motor shaft is bent.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #15

Late post addition. I had a similar problem. Bought a 2011 that had been setting a bit. Got it home and hooked up the a/c. It made a terrible vibration/noise. Dirt daubers had built in the fan cage and it busted the outer ring and some blades. I super glued it till I could get another. These came in around the copper lines going to the evaporator housing. I reseated that and don't think they can get back in. There were nests all in the a/c unit. Good luck to you.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #16

I by-passed FR/Columbus and went straight to Dometic. New AC is being shipped to a Mobile RV Repair guy and they will be out to install it on Dometic. The Vibration Damper Kit had been installed prior to us taking delivery back in Dec, thus that was not the issue w/ the AC sounding like a freight train running through the bedroom. Hopefully they have this done just in time for winter in Texas! :-/
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Vibration in ac------------

I also had vibration in my AC. It was extremely loud in the back of the fifth wheel. Upon investigating, I found the rear of the metal case was just touching the roof. Apparently the four large bolts that hold the unit to the dough nut on the roof had been tightened too much, especially the two rear bolts. I purchased a 1/4" thick foam door mat from Lowe's, cut 8" from one end of the mat, raised the rear of the AC unit just enough to insert the foam
rubber mat under the case between the roof and case. Let unit set back down on to foam mat. Presto, vibration gone!

The vibration is being generated where the case just touches the roof at the rear of the AC. You do not even have to remove the plastic cover to see
the problem. I first tried a rubber computer mouse pad by folding in half, inserting it under the case on one side. When the pad removed the noise
I then purchase a "DUCK DYNASTY" kitchen or door foam mat. It is about 1/4"
thick, cost about $4.99 on sale at Lowe's. Fixed my problem. The AC has never been so quite.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote