Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #1

Adding solar to roof of 255RKS 5th wheel

I also posted this in the rv mods forum.

I want to add solar to my 2019 Puma 255RKS, so I sent a message from the Palomino website asking where to drill through the roof to run the wires. This is the response I got:

Hello Sir,
The roof has many wires running thru it .Our newer units are wired with solar ports to add the panels. I can’t advise on adding one to the roof.
Thanks,

It was from the parts and shipping manager. Probably not the best person to answer the question ... I wonder why she didn’t pass it on to someone with knowledge of the subject.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know how I can get a wiring diagram for my rig?

2) Would it be feasible to run the wires down the outside, perhaps enclosed in PVC, to get it to the battery compartment.

I would appreciate any ideas or help you might have.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #2

solar on a 320rs

I'am also getting ready to install some solar panels on a columbus fifth wheel.Tried to find studs with a stud finder ,no luck. Contacted palomino and was told very few truss's and the roof is styrofoam covered with 1/8'' laun plywood then the tpo membrane? and they can't tell me where the truss's are located ? Thanks for nothing. Hopfully some one out there has put solar on the roof a columbus fifth wheel ,also mine is a 2013 .Good luck with your install. Also looking at the 2013 brochure for columbus fifth whell it says 3/8 plywood is used on the roof,not so it's 1/8'' laun ? removed the bath vent and could see the roof underlayment.
harrydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior

TJWoody,

Are you sure you don't already have an electrical port for solar on the front of your unit? I have the 2018 model year of the 255RKS, and has a 2-prong port on the front right side of the unit. This sticker is right above it--already wired for solar, just need to add the panel(s) and plug in.

Good luck,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	264829  
Old 10-24-2021, 04:56 AM   #4

I doubt there are any wires for panels that go to your roof unless it came from the factory with solar.

Easiest way to get wires down from the roof is through the fridge vent (if you have a 2 way fridge) or the sewer vent. I used the sewer vent. I did not go through the vent, but the typical workmanship makes for a giant hole around the vent pipe through which you can pass the wires. You can see them where I ran my wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4979.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	264851  
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
255, 5th wheel, roo, roof, solar, wheel