Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Advice on how to deal with dealer.

I recently purchased a sabre 33 ckts. On the way home I never could get the brakes to work properly. After checking all the wiring I removed the hubs to find grease coming out of the back of the seal. It was on the magnets and shoes. This was on two of the wheels. I took it to my dealer which is four hours away because both main slide outs where leaking. I called them yesterday and they said they only found grease on one wheel. I found it on two. I took pictures of both of them when I had them apart so I sent them the pictures. I contacted them again today and the service manager said they were going to pull it back in and see if the could see what I seen. I asked how they fixed the one they found and he said they cleaned them with brake cleaner. I informed them this was unacceptable, that the correct fix was to replace the parts. The service manager said, in a sarcastic tone, that he should hire me if I knew so much. He also said that cleaning with brake cleaner was all they could do. I then informed him that I had already talked to a lady at lippert and she was going to send me the parts to fix it but it would void my warranty if I did it myself. I am really tired of the sarcastic comments and poor service. I am so aggravated I can't stand it. How would you guys handle this situation. Thanks
bignugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

My columbus 320rs had 4 busted seals and grease was all over everything in the brake assembly. Lippert sent 4 complete assemblies along with new seals. You cannot clean these types of situations with brake cleaner. This took place in the last month. My dealer was fantastic and they are Shady Pines RV in Texarkana,TX.
mmunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #3

I tried to explain this to my dealer but I get some kind of smart remark.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignugget View Post
I am so aggravated I can't stand it. How would you guys handle this situation. Thanks
If at all possible, I would try to contact the owner of the dealership...............or someone higher in the food chain.

We could always tell them that we were going to send my ex-wife over there, and she wasn't leaving until it was fixed right..........but that probably goes against the Geneva Convention or something. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

The owner wasn't really friendly when we made the purchase.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Graduate Member

Small claims court is always an option. Or have an attorney write a demand letter.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Always Learning

I'd try to contact the manufacturer directly and see about a different dealer doing the work.

The money may come out of your pocket and be reimbursed, but it would be better than one who is a jerk and is 4 hours away.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
Small claims court is always an option. Or have an attorney write a demand letter.
why oh why is it one of the 1st things people think of, call a lawyer. Why? the dealer is under no obligation to fix it at all yet alone correctly as long as you are talking a unit under warranty. Now if you paid for a service than you have rights.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
H2oski

I would PM Sabresam, He is a factory rep and may be able to help you with a solution. See the following link. He monitors that thread on his own time.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rst-28599.html
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

Thanks for the help guys. It really helps me vent a little. I think when they call to pick it up. I am going to go get it and if the brakes are not to my liking I will just fix them myself. The stress is not worth the two hours of labor it would take me to fix them. Lippert has already told me they would send me the parts. I guess I just expected more from a dealer I just spent $40,000 with.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. It really helps me vent a little. I think when they call to pick it up. I am going to go get it and if the brakes are not to my liking I will just fix them myself. The stress is not worth the two hours of labor it would take me to fix them. Lippert has already told me they would send me the parts. I guess I just expected more from a dealer I just spent $40,000 with.
just so you don't feel bad, I have bought a 2010 36 RE touring edition, a 2011 Ridgview super c, a 2013 36 CKTS touring edition and now a 2013 Aviator wright flyer from the same dealer in the past 3.5 years and still get lousy service.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
why oh why is it one of the 1st things people think of, call a lawyer. Why? the dealer is under no obligation to fix it at all yet alone correctly as long as you are talking a unit under warranty. Now if you paid for a service than you have rights.
Because that's how we settle disagreements over contracts?

Better than dueling.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #13

well than you would have to sue the manufacturer not the dealer, as they are not obligated to provide warranty work. As I read the OP I did not see where the manufacturer did not want to warrant the defect, just the dealer.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
The owner wasn't really friendly when we made the purchase.
Hate to hear that..............................so, do you want me to call the ex?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #15

No, lippert has no problem sending parts. Just the dealer providing poor customer service and being a smart*** in the process.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Hate to hear that..............................so, do you want me to call the ex?
You send her down there and we will all go to jail.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #17

Wait until later when I get pissed off again and I will change my mind on sending your ex.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #18

Quote:
No, lippert has no problem sending parts. Just the dealer providing poor customer service and being a smart*** in the process.
my first FR was my 2010 36RE that if memory serves me was just about 80,000, during one of my warranty trips the dealer decided it was OK to paint a motorhome next to my RV, well the expected outcome came to be, my RV was covered with overspray. They paid to have it removed, than told me never to come back as the would no longer provide warranty service for me. But they have to , I thought, so I called FR, boy was I surprised to find out that no they do not have to provide service to anyone they choose not to. My opinion is let a factory authorized private Rv repair shop do, they will bill the manufacturer and generally care about the kind of work they do.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
Do I understand you correctly? Are you asserting that If a dealer seffl a defective unit that he has no obligation to repair it? Id so, who is obligated to do the repair?

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #20

That's great advice. Do I have to contact forest river to find out who the closest repair shop is? There website just list dealers. A lot of dealers really don't want to help with warranty work if they did not sell it to you. I will fix the brakes myself but in the future if something comes up that info would come in handy. I did not realize a dealer did not have to provide warranty work for something they sold.