Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

AFT # 2 Grey Water Pull Handle Broke

My 31 RETS-06 Aft #2 grey water shut off valve handle broke off at about the point where it pivots at maybe 40 degrees or so. It is made of hollow metal and not designed for old men like me. I'm thinking I can repair this but before I start I'm hoping for some guidance regarding the scope of the job. It doesn't look complicated but may involve removing a lot of skirting. My coach is still under warranty but I don't think it may be worth the $60.00 cost of diesel X two. I'm also thinking there should be a better mousetrap for this issue. Maybe Sabre Sam can chime in with an improved replacement to help me out. Thanks to all.
Steve

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Need pictures before anyone can offer suggestions.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
H2oski

When you get in there PLEASE post pics so I'll know what to do when mine breaks. Thanks ahead of time.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

What you can expect when you get in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091216.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	13489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 010.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	13490  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by spat61 View Post
My 31 RETS-06 Aft #2 grey water shut off valve handle broke off at about the point where it pivots at maybe 40 degrees or so. It is made of hollow metal and not designed for old men like me. I'm thinking I can repair this but before I start I'm hoping for some guidance regarding the scope of the job. It doesn't look complicated but may involve removing a lot of skirting. My coach is still under warranty but I don't think it may be worth the $60.00 cost of diesel X two. I'm also thinking there should be a better mousetrap for this issue. Maybe Sabre Sam can chime in with an improved replacement to help me out. Thanks to all.
Steve
I'm guessing without a picture. You might be able to just replace the rod. Not sure, a picture would really help.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
What you can expect when you get in there.
Just so everyone is clear, these pictures are not from the Sabre Plant!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #7

For Sabre Sam

I'm hoping you can get an idea from production regarding the amount of disassembly I would need to do to repair this broken handle. The pictures posted above don't resemble my 31RETS. If you have a 31RETS-6 on the line, it should be easy to determine how far into this I need to go. Although I'm still under warranty, I will do it myself rather than take it to him. He is the type that infers the customer is the cause of the problem as opposed to inadequate materials and workmanship. All I did was push the handle in to close the valve and the fact that the handle is at an angle, and made of hollow rod, it just caracked at the point of the angle. Can you help? Thanks.
Steve
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #8

No help with this problem

Quote:
I'm hoping you can get an idea from production regarding the amount of disassembly I would need to do to repair this broken handle. The pictures posted above don't resemble my 31RETS. If you have a 31RETS-6 on the line, it should be easy to determine how far into this I need to go. Although I'm still under warranty, I will do it myself rather than take it to him. He is the type that infers the customer is the cause of the problem as opposed to inadequate materials and workmanship. All I did was push the handle in to close the valve and the fact that the handle is at an angle, and made of hollow rod, it just caracked at the point of the angle. Can you help? Thanks.
Steve
All I'm asking is if I should anticipate an hour job or an all day job, and an idea of how deep I will need to go into the bowels of the underbelly to get at the valve. Also, will I need to fabricate an upgrade handle rod to replace the existing hollow metal rod that broke at the angle point. No response from Sabre Sam?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
No response from Sabre Sam?
Just my opinion here; but since you are under warranty, I am SURE that Sam will not be replying to your problem.

He has made it very clear in the past that he will help if he can.
If it is under warranty; he can't by contract with the dealers.

If you don't like your dealer, you can contact FR for an FR dealer in your area who would agree to handle your warranty work. It does not have to be a dealer who carries your exact model. (IE you might be able to get a Flagstaff dealer to do warranty work on your Rockwood).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

id put one of these on myself .
http://www.rveparts.com/product_imag...es/e1003vp.jpg

Tags
led pad