Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a progressive 50 amp hardwired EMS, but I want to make sure I could find a location for it. The more thought I put into it, I believe a portable one like yours might be a better choice. Factory can't void the warranty, because I won't be modifying the wiring. How are you locking it up to keep it from growing legs and walking off? Also do you cover it to keep it out of the weather? thanks is where I was going to order the hardwired one for $305.00 and they also have the portable 50 EMS for $315.00. $10.00 more without the pain of installing.
RV Safety Accessories Inc
More than likely there's enough room behind your distribution center.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
Seasoned Rookie
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
...How are you locking it up to keep it from growing legs and walking off? Also do you cover it to keep it out of the weather?...

We bought a padlock (actually 3) big enough to go around the cord part of our portable surge device (and AC supply cord) but small enough it won't come past the cord ends. Padlock needs to be just big enough to allow a piece of chain to be slipped onto the hasp before it is locked onto the cord. We can then chain the AC cord to the surge device & chain the surge device to the pedestal box using the door hasp or any other nearby fixed object. I suppose you could chain the cord to the RV tire, bumper or frame if need be.

It's sad that such measures have to be taken these days.

2014 Ford F350 SD 4X4 CC LB 6.7L PSD
Bob & Debbie, USAF Retired
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
Smile Progressive portable unit

Gashog, I like the portable unit better on several points but the reason you pointed out is very valid, your not going to be touching the RV wiring so there can't be an issue with warranty. The units come with a metal collar on the power wire; it is a thick flat metal plate between the box and the plug; it cannot be removed without cutting the wire and it isn't going to be easy to cut at all. I bought a 3' section of hardened chain and one of those round locks that do not leave any hasp open for cutting. Once plugged in I chain it closely to the shore power post right under their power box. It can't be slid up the post that way. 95% of the time we are in camp grounds that I have absolutely no worries about, but the 5% is the time I like my chain. Also, with the portable, you already have it for your next RV, and you don't even have to pull in to check the power. The Progressive units are rated for use outdoors and mine has been in several rainstorms without issue. They tell you it is water proof, but not to submerge it. I am thinking that if it gets submerged while connected to my shore power post I have several other issue even more important, such as my RV does not have life preservers on board.

D_B Travelers - 30 nights in 2016... so far. 54 nights in 2015. 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, Equalizer 14K hitch, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

2014, air conditioner, sabre