Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #11

The blowout occurred at 5:45 am, outside temperature was 74 degrees and we had traveled approximately 475 miles. The trailer was not overloaded; we simply donít carry that much stuff in it.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
There have been a couple other reports now of the Akuret tires failing on Columbus rigs. Even though you have proper inflation, if you are overloaded, the tire will fail. The tires are failing as it is now summer with hot hot hot temps on the road. .
So the factory puts tires on our campers that are not adequate for the GVWR?
And we are not supposed to drive in the summer?

Our last fifth had American-made Marathons, and they were 10 years old with about 20,000 miles on them. Really, why can't the factory put on tires like that? Would it really cost that much extra?
I had to spend $700+ to replace the factory crap, so I would have gladly paid that up front.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post

So the factory puts tires on our campers that are not adequate for the GVWR?
And we are not supposed to drive in the summer?

Our last fifth had American-made Marathons, and they were 10 years old with about 20,000 miles on them. Really, why can't the factory put on tires like that? Would it really cost that much extra?
I had to spend $700+ to replace the factory crap, so I would have gladly paid that up front.
X2!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Fact of life, you can't buy American made st tires. They just don't exist. Sad situation, but they can't furnish what isn't made, but they could put brand name tires of a higher load rating than just the bare minimum ones.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
There have been a couple other reports now of the Akuret tires failing on Columbus rigs. Even though you have proper inflation, if you are overloaded, the tire will fail.

For those of you that travel all over with your rig, go to a CAT scale and weigh yours on each axle and both axles to find out the true loaded weight of your rig.
I can tell you- for me, I actually had recently weighted the rig and was underweight on tires, axles, camper and even truck. I inflate my tires before each trip and drive at 60-65mph max.

I got lucky - no blowout, but definitely a manufacturer defect on my tire.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Denver, CO

Gosh, I am 750lbs UNDERweight on each tire (Akurets) in my VCross, so I should be okay? Got about 2K on them now, no problems noted, but I have a 3K+ trip coming up in Late September and maybe should replace them before then.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Fact of life, you can't buy American made st tires. They just don't exist. Sad situation, but they can't furnish what isn't made, but they could put brand name tires of a higher load rating than just the bare minimum ones.
That's all I am asking for, and I don't think it is unreasonable.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #18

After my first blow out, I checked my tires constantly, including during two stops the morning of my second blowout. No visual signs of stress or concerns.
On both occasions, I limped into camp on my spare and called the local tire dealers for ďAmerican Made STĒ replacements. I was told by two separate stores that Carlisle is made in the USAÖdidnít matter; there were no other good options. Both times I replaced them with ST235/80R16E1 124J B CARLISLE RADIAL TRAIL RH.
Website http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/trailers-toy-haulers-towables
Just sent a confirmatory e-mail to Carlisle to ensure they are made in America. If so, I will get two more and completely be rid of Akuret.
As far as the question on replacement, to me it is not worth the lives of my family to gamble.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #19

From my understanding, Carlisle ST tires were once made in the US. They have since moved to China. You should look closely on the sidewall near the rim for "Made in China". If it says USA, look at the DOT build date code and see how new they actually are. It's a 4 digit number stamped at the end of the DOT number. i.e. 3211=32nd week of 2011.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

To my knowledge there are not any ST tires made in the USA or Canada.