Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Elaine View Post
Our 320rs came with Westlake tires and so far, so good. We put about 10k on these tires and they seem to be holding up well. Just a suggestion, cover your tires when NOT in use and keep them away from dampness, not on wet grass, mud etc.but instead on wood boards etc.
Maybe FR found some good tires, that would be nice. I looked up the tire they have been around since 2003. Have a plant in China the name of the Company is Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. They are opening another plant in Thailand. Also they said they are in the top 10 manufacturers per there organization of Manufacture. Seem to be mostly sold over seas. They do have a dealer in Hickory NC. But NC is not picky about who lives in there state. (Joke Old Man), It seems to make no difference anymore on anything. Funny I used to swear by GE light bulbs. Today I had to change one. It's only a couple of months old. I thought my wife bought some cheap bulbs, But after I took it out I grabbed the box of GE I had. I would be damned it say's made in China right on it. Sorry to get off topic. That could be a record 10,0000 miles on a OEM tire. Like I said maybe they found a good one........
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 107
So how many years should a person expect to get out of an ST tire if you don't wear them out by running them down the road? I thought that I had read 4 years somewhere, but then I saw an article in Trailer Life that said 7 years. I currently have the Akuret tires that are now 3 years old.

I'm confused, but want to do the right thing.
__________________

__________________
2012 Palomino Sabre 32BHTS
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4x4 Duramax
clange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #43
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Elaine View Post
Our 320rs came with Westlake tires and so far, so good. We put about 10k on these tires and they seem to be holding up well. Just a suggestion, cover your tires when NOT in use and keep them away from dampness, not on wet grass, mud etc.but instead on wood boards etc.
X2...been very pleased with ours...one of the best factory tires we've gotten with a new rv...best of all these Westlakes were sized sized correctly for the campers gvwr, and mounted on the appropriate rim...somebody got something right
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
I have been keeping up with this thread as I have the Akuret tires on the lite in a 15 inch.



They are covered and sitting on some 2X6 boards that are buried on edge with a 2inch gap between them.
Helps keep it level from side to side and out of the dirt.



I am starting to wonder if I should swap them out before our big trip later this year.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
So how many years should a person expect to get out of an ST tire if you don't wear them out by running them down the road? I thought that I had read 4 years somewhere, but then I saw an article in Trailer Life that said 7 years. I currently have the Akuret tires that are now 3 years old.

I'm confused, but want to do the right thing.
The rule of thumb is 4 years from the date stamp on the tire not the age of the trailer. You will see 4 numbers on like 2212. That is the week and year they were made. There is a thread on this somewhere or google it, If you don't want to use that rule, take the trailer down to a tire shop and have them inspect them.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Monroe Wa.
Posts: 47
We have a 2013 195rl. The akuret tires that came with our trailer lasted 3,005 miles before one blew while on a trip arriving at Lake Powell in Page, Az. It was in october so it was not hot.

Replaced with LT tires from Big-O tires. All four.

When we got home, I contacted Forest River, they sent me to Lionshead. What a waste of time. Jumped through all the hoops, sent them photos, bills, etc. Like talking to a brick wall. Talked with FR again, just major stall tactics.

For an upscale trailer, these tires in my opinion are pure junk.

Our next 5th wheel will not be a FR product because of this and other poor quality issues we have had with our teailer.

We will spend the extra money and look at a DRV Mobile Estates.

Thanks.

Jon
__________________
2001 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually
Exhaust brake, 4" SS exhaust
DDP injectors, Edge chip
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Celia View Post
We have a 2013 195rl. The akuret tires that came with our trailer lasted 3,005 miles before one blew while on a trip arriving at Lake Powell in Page, Az. It was in october so it was not hot.

Replaced with LT tires from Big-O tires. All four.

When we got home, I contacted Forest River, they sent me to Lionshead. What a waste of time. Jumped through all the hoops, sent them photos, bills, etc. Like talking to a brick wall. Talked with FR again, just major stall tactics.

For an upscale trailer, these tires in my opinion are pure junk.

Our next 5th wheel will not be a FR product because of this and other poor quality issues we have had with our teailer.

We will spend the extra money and look at a DRV Mobile Estates.

Thanks.

Jon
Couldn’t agree more. FR does not have an “upscale or high-end” line. Any product line they buy, they promise to keep management in place and allow them autonomy in keeping quality high. To date, this has not happened…examples, Palomino, Cedar Creek and Dynamax/Trilogy. As a Berkshire Company, if the profit is not high enough, former management and/owners are out, along with them goes the quality. While not always overnight, eventually FR manages to raise profits by making them cheaper and lowering quality.
__________________
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #48
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
I think you will find the same with all other manufacturers also. Profit is the lifeblood of all manufacturers. Just a fact of life.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
lgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think you will find the same with all other manufacturers also. Profit is the lifeblood of all manufacturers. Just a fact of life.
Some manufacturers understand that you can have quality and profit. Those that are in it for the long haul are where I plan to buy my next one. DRV’s are exceptional units, but you will pay a premium for that quality. Redwoods are in-between the best that FR manufactures and a DRV. There are some new names in the high-end market, jury still out on quality. Before buying anything, I would join and thoroughly review the manufacture or related forums. I did for DRV and Redwood, you just don’t see the same type of issues that you do with the FR lines. You certainly don’t hear complaints on factory & dealer issues related to customer service and parts availability.
__________________

__________________
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.