Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #21

Ryand, might be a different name, but the same tire. They're still made in ChinA and they still are lower quality than our rigs deserve. Most RV manufacturers buy truck loads of tires from whoever sells them the cheapest. It all boils down to $$$, they win and we as consumers lose.

Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Ryand, might be a different name, but the same tire. They're still made in ChinA and they still are lower quality than our rigs deserve. Most RV manufacturers buy truck loads of tires from whoever sells them the cheapest. It all boils down to $$$, they win and we as consumers lose.
We keep buying them tho, bigger and bigger, cheaper and cheaper. If we quit, the mfg's, will change their tune and begin producing smaller and better, like that's gonna happen.

Blame is squarely at the feet of the consumer. IMO of course.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #23

Industry Upgrades

Redwood, DRV and other high-end manufactures, have been upgrading their axels to 8000 pounds and more importantly tires to G & H ratings. One of them has gone to 8000 pound axels with 17.5 inch H rated tractor trailer tires. This is very much overkill for even this heavier, high end unit. Makes you ask the question why do they find it necessary to do so, or better yet, why aren’t all the manufactures doing the same? Could it be that these ratings aren’t what they are cracked up to be and/or unreliable poor quality of the Chinese tires? All ST tires are manufactured in China (except Maxxis) and like anywhere, without proper supervision and quality controls, there are problems.
At least with an American based tire company’s like a Goodyear, Carlisle and others, you and your insurance carrier have someone to subrogate against (collect for vehicle damage). Even with allegedly higher quality standards in place, the both Goodyear and Carlisle have had manufacturing quality control issues in their China based ST plants. Goodyear was recently a defendant in a class action suit related to blowouts. Their payout for damages was significant.
When I inquired with my local Carlisle authorized dealer about replacing my last two Akuret’s with two Carlisle “F” rated 265 85 R16’s, the owner informed me that I was better off with the “E” rated Maxxis.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Redwood, DRV and other high-end manufactures ... snip ... why aren’t all the manufactures doing the same?
Redwood, DRV and other high-end manufacturers are quite a bit outside of my price-point.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #25

Price point

Price point is not the intent of my e-mail. But now that you bring it up, what is the cost of being safe? A couple of hundred dollars extra for better tires? What about making them an Option when ordering?

As an aside, there is only appoximately $7,000 between my Columbus and a like in kind Redwood.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #26

We had a blowout with the factory installed LR C Trail Express tires on our Flagstaff 5er a few weeks ago. The tires were properly inflated, I wasn't overloaded, but the tire had a hole the size of a grapefruit on the inside sidewall. I managed to change it on the highway, and then stopped at a tire shop in the next town. I changed out all 4 tires with LR E Akurets. The tire shop manager/ owner said he sells a lot of these tires, and hasn't had any come back or had any complaints. He acknowledged they are all made in China, and a couple years ago there were many issues with Chinese tires, but said the tires are getting better. To my knowledge, the Akuret ST tires are made by the Yokohama plant in China, and I suspect they aren't any better or worse than others made there. There are horror stories with every brand, and since all trailer tires are made overseas, it's a crapshoot no matter what you've got on your trailer these days. I bought a TPMS to give me a bit more peace of mind, we need all the safety help we can get.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #27

We just blew a tire while traveling to Page, AZ. We did not feel it towing because the roads were SOO BAD. Thank goodness, it did not destroy the side skirts.

Had to go to Big O tires. I had all 4 tires replaced with an LT 235/75 r16 truck radial tire. Man do they ride better.

I kept the Akuret tires. The side walls feel like rubber bands. No wonder they fail. Those tires are a total POS.

If anyone still has those tires on, You better plan on replacing them.

We had less than 4500 miles on the tires.

I am going to talk with the tire manufactor to help with the cost.

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Jon
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Celia View Post
I am going to talk with the tire manufactor to help with the cost.
When I contacted the tire manufacturer, they told me that I had to deal with warranty claims with the tire distributor that sold the tire to Palomino. That was:

LionsHead Specialty Tire & Wheel
305 Steury Avenue, P.O. Box 731
Goshen, IN 46528

PH:574-533-6169
Fax: 574-533-6761

They have a warranty form that you fill out. My tire hadn't blown, so I'm not sure how the process is different for you.

On edit: they generally want to just replace the tires. I explained that I had already purchased new tires to replace the Akurets and the agreed to a monetary compensation.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #29

Akuret Tires

I have had a failure (see previous blog comments from me) It is my opinion that Akuret are low end tires with a problem.(the tire dealer that I had it replaced at thought is was some kind of farm implement tire) They do not belong on a 5th wheel travel trailer that is grossing out around 15,000 pounds. According to the tire dealer (Sullivan Tire in Massachusetts) the replacement tire is obsolete and no longer available. I got the last one they had in their area and no more were available. I am still in MASS with about 1100 miles to home. My plan is to do a thorough tire inspection every time I stop for fuel and change them all out before another undercarriage metal bending, fender bending, brake wire destruction event takes place from an inferior tire.
In case it is unclear I am ticked off with Akuret.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #30

If my trailer weighed in at 15K, I'd be using LR G 14 ply tires. If you have had a blowout on one side, you should replace both tires on that side since the remaining tire was probably stressed beyond it's capacity with the added weight while the other was flat. My RV buddy has a Cameo Carriage weighing about 12K, he changed out all his 16" LR E tires for LR Gs. In my opinion, the trailer manufacturers put on the minimum cost tires they have to by law, hope you last a year so the warranty is off, and then it's up to you to fight off the defects. I went from LR Cs to LR Es , and hopefully they will hold up for a couple thousand miles. My 5er only weighs 9300 lbs loaded, so maybe I might stand a chance next season.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote