Old 10-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #31

Careful if it matters???? Maxxis m8008 tires are made in Thailand aren't they?

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #32

There have been defective tires in all types, makes, models, and manufacturers, since they started making tires. In 2002, I got a whole brand new set of tires to replace my Firestone Wilderness ATs on my Ford Explorer. Some people had problems with them failing / tread separation, but I got 30,000 miles out to them and then got a new set free. It doesn't matter where a tire is made, it's the quality control and guidelines, or lack of, during the manufacturing that counts. Considering there are millions of Akuret tires running around the nation's highways, I suspect 99% are rolling as designed, it's the other 1% we have to be concerned about, and probably the same for Maxxis, Carlisles, and every other brand.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #33

I had to replace my tires in the first year. Tire was deformed and got hot all the time. So hot you couldn't tough it. Keep a eye on them or you will blow out the bottom of the trailer.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #34

Personally, I think a lot of tire issues are the fault of improper labels on the RVs. On another thread I mentioned the labels on our Flagstaff were in error, the sticker on the side of the trailer said to run my Load Range C tires at 65 PSI, when the max on the actual tire said 50 PSI. At the advice of tireman9 I reported the issue to Transport Canada who followed up on my complaint. Last week I was telling my son about my tire issues, and how he should be thinking about replacing the tires on his 2011 Denali 35' (10,000 lb +). I asked him what pressure he runs, and being like most RVers he said he runs his tires at 65 PSI just like the label on the trailer tells him to. On further investigation, I found out his tires are 16" LR E, came from the factory with them on, and he should be running at 80 PSI. The sticker says he has 15" LR D at 65 PSI, so for the past 3 years he has been running his tires underinflated. How he hasn't had a blowout is a mystery, but I suspect he will be replacing them next spring. I would advise everyone to check to see if there are discrepancies in their tire and side sticker information.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #35

If you ever get the opportunity, like I did, hold, touch and feel an Akuret and a Maxxis or other name brand. Notice how little structural integrity the sidewalls of the Akuret have compared to name brands. Probably a good indication on why they pop, twice, on two trips for me.

IMO if you are on the Akutet's more than one moderatly utlized season, you are on borrowed time. Might explain why FR are nowing using Westlake tires instead of Akuret's.

I replaced my last two Akuret's on my Columbus, knowing full well I would be trading the unit. Not willing to drive it 400 miles to drop off and pick up my new rig. New rig, Goodyear Unisteel, 17.5 inch, H rated, with weight capacity of 4,800 pounds each. Still plan on using TPMS.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #36

Akuret Failures

I spent my 45 year career in the trucking industry. And this thread on the quality or lack there of should catch the attention of NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration). (Although might be real short staffed until the end of the fight in DC). In my opinion there should be an industry recall on these before someone gets hurt. Are you listening FR? Yes it is pretty standard practice to replace both tires on a side if one blows and you do not catch it real soon. As you can see from my previous blog comments the tire dealer only had one left so the only choice was to use the spare Akuret and replace the blown tire with the only Akuret available. Hopefully we make it back to GA with out another instance. The only issue with changeovers to a more robust tire is ensuring the wheel capacity is up to the higher capacity of the tire. Don't forget to Include the spare if you are doing a change over. If we have another instance we will get to a tire dealer and replace all 5. I will at that point write the letter to NHTSA if no one from Forest River has initiated it.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Celia View Post
We just blew a tire while traveling to Page, AZ. We did not feel it towing because the roads were SOO BAD. Thank goodness, it did not destroy the side skirts. Had to go to Big O tires. I had all 4 tires replaced with an LT 235/75 r16 truck radial tire. Man do they ride better. I kept the Akuret tires. The side walls feel like rubber bands. No wonder they fail. Those tires are a total POS. If anyone still has those tires on, You better plan on replacing them. We had less than 4500 miles on the tires. I am going to talk with the tire manufactor to help with the cost. I'll let you know. Thanks. Jon
You replaced ST tires with LT tires. That's probably not the best thing to do. I'm not surprised that you find a difference in the sidewalls compared to STs.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #38

When we get back home, I am going to talk with both the tire company and Forest River.

We all paid a lot of money for an up scale trailer, and I feel like FR was more concerned with their bottom line and not the quality of the trailer.

I have also inspected the wheels on our trailer, and I see grease on several of the inside of the rims. I will remove the wheels and inspect the brakes when we get home.

If they are leaking grease on the shoes, it is another quality control issue with our trailers.

We love our trailer, but I don't think we should be experiencing these problems.

Thanks.

Jon
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelmangg View Post
Are you listening FR?
Just a random FYI- this forum isn't sponsored or affiliated with FR in any way. A few factory reps follow the forum, but I doubt they read all threads. You may want to contact FR directly regarding your NTSH concerns.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #40

ST & LT tire debate

There has been a lot of debate regarding LT tires as a replacement for ST tires. Perhaps the question has been answered by FR. They are putting Goodyear G114 LHT tires on their higher end rig’s,, which are light truck tires. Maximum load, 4,800 pounds each.
That is not to say that every LT has the weight capacity to handle your rig.