Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #81
Commercial Member

Have you filed complaints with NHTSA? (one per tire).
Any chance of a close up picture of body cord? See my blog post of Sept 24 for example of melted body cord. Find any like this?

The large dia tire is also probably failed.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #82

ST vs LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I beg to differ. Discount Tire's recommendation is in the link I provided. Who recommended the LT tires to you was a guy who (guessing) has probably worked for DT for 2 months and couldn't even spell "tire" three months ago. Even if it was the manager of the store, he didn't follow Discount Tires recommendation.

I have a "higher end Fifth Wheel". It came with ST tires. I would be interested to know what RV you have found that comes with LT tires.
Hall Tire in Greensboro does a fair amount of camper tire replacement. We had a lengthy discussion about replacing my Akuret ST with another brand of LT tire and they were absolute about not putting LTs on my camper and highly recommended Maxxis. I am not saying that LTs may or may not be proper for some 5th wheels but in all likelihood it depends on what the trailer maximum capacity is. My 365RL is rated at 13007 empty and is allowed an additional cargo capacity of 3836 pounds. (16843 total). If I ran fully loaded with proper weight distribution we would be over the rated tire capacity of the camper. Akurets, as supplied by FR on the camper as OE, are rated at 3520 per tire so that allows for 14080 on the trailer tandem. I went across certified truck scales at about 12500 on the trailer with the rest distributed between the 5th wheel hitch (drive axle) and steer axle on the truck. In my opinion the Akurets as supplied by FR are not up to the task of a fully loaded 365RL as they are falling apart on a camper that is 12 - 15% under full load. I have a number of other engineering type issues with FR on the 365 that I will not bore anyone with here but when you are paying 65 - 70 K for a camper the expectation would be for a better grade of tire than what we have experienced so far. Time will tell on the 4 new Maxxis. PS: Please file a complaint with NHTSA if you have had failures with Akurets. That is the only way we as a group can get these tires off the road. PSS: Highly recommend Adam at Peco Campers in NE Atlanta and Hall Tire in Greensboro. Great service and fair prices.
Happy travels.
wheelmangg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #83

NHTSA filing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Have you filed complaints with NHTSA? (one per tire).
Any chance of a close up picture of body cord? See my blog post of Sept 24 for example of melted body cord. Find any like this?

The large dia tire is also probably failed.
Yes filed two complaints yesterday. One for a failure in September and a second for a failure last week. Yes the larger diameter tire was about to blow. It was 5" larger in total circumference than the Akuret that had not failed. Both were still showing 78PSI cold. The pictures I previously posted are all that I had.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #84
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelmangg View Post
Yes filed two complaints yesterday. One for a failure in September and a second for a failure last week. Yes the larger diameter tire was about to blow. It was 5" larger in total circumference than the Akuret that had not failed. Both were still showing 78PSI cold. The pictures I previously posted are all that I had.
Thanks for filing the complaint.

I find it interesting that so many on various RV forums are quick to fault DOT for not taking action but can't be bothered to file a complaint.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #85

Tireman9, shouldn't we ALL be registering complaints with the NHTSA when we experience tire issues like those being discussed in this thread...not just on Akuret tires, but all tires brands. I looked at the NHTSA site last night and was amazed that there were not more complaints related to RV tire failures. (I'm guessing that is a point you are trying to make too.) Anyway, thanks for your professional experience input to our dicussions!
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #86
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Tireman9, shouldn't we ALL be registering complaints with the NHTSA when we experience tire issues like those being discussed in this thread...not just on Akuret tires, but all tires brands. I looked at the NHTSA site last night and was amazed that there were not more complaints related to RV tire failures. (I'm guessing that is a point you are trying to make too.) Anyway, thanks for your professional experience input to our dicussions!
Yes. Unless you know the failure was due to a puncture (lots of these are called blowouts) of wheel or valve failure you need to file a tire complaint. If a wheel or valve fail you should report them. I have a number of posts on my blog where I advice over and over again that posts on RV forums may make the poster feel better but are not really helping the RV community to get bad tires off the road.

Sometimes it isn't easy as you may not find the tire brand you are looking for but If you have the full tire DOT and the full vehicle VIN the DOT will contact you if they have questions.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #87

Let's see what happens

Left the one tire that had not failed along with the pictures of the disintegrated one at my dealer. They are going to bat for us at Forest River and trying to get compensation for both tires and the damage to the camper. (Yeah I know - good luck with that program). Anyway so far no issues with the Maxxis. Anyone in the Greater Atlanta area interested in three ST235/80 R16 Akurets? Will sell cheap, make an offer. One has less than 1200 miles on it.