Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #71

I got lucky and noticed problem before it exploded, we were in Silverton, Colorado and as soon as we got to Albuquerque I had Discount Tire change all out for Bridgestone LT245/75/R16's. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind plus I can not afford thousands in repairs due to cheap tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Is there any indication that they plan on paying for anything other than pro-rata share of tire life?

Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #72

LT tires are not appropriate on an RV.

Discount Tire Trailer Tire Facts

Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #73

It is all about the sidewalls.
Do you really want a tall trailer riding on soft sidewalls?

Quote:
There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you used to tow it. Therefore there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.
Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.
Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.
However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.
Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42XGGWdTDxHlYg
Old 10-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #74

Not all LT tires are are the same. Goodyear Unisteel G114's are "H" rated and have a capacity of 4,800 pounds. These are 17.5 inch. You will find them on Dynamax Trilogy, Mobile Suites, Redwood, etc...all higher end coaches.

Many 16 inch LT tires are rated at lower capacity than some 16 inch "E" rated tires. If I was going to stick with 16's and ST's, it would be Maxxis.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #75

NHTSA and Akuret

Quote:
Originally Posted by okietom View Post
I got lucky and noticed problem before it exploded, we were in Silverton, Colorado and as soon as we got to Albuquerque I had Discount Tire change all out for Bridgestone LT245/75/R16's. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind plus I can not afford thousands in repairs due to cheap tires.
Were these Akurets? Did you report them to NHTSA? Someone is going to get hurt with these tires. I will post the NHTSA web link later today. These failures really need to be escalated.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #76

That is an interesting comment since Discount Tire is who recommended and installed the LT tires. Also LT tires are standard on higher end Fifth Wheels mainly due to weight and not just accepting lowest bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post

Discount Tire Trailer Tire Facts
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #77

NHTSA Info

Just filed a complaint with NHTSA regarding the separate failures of two of my Akuret tires. This is the web site link.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Please do all of us travel trailer, RVers and our fellow travelers a service and if you have or have had failures of Akuret tires submit them to NHTSA. Make sure you have the DOT info from the side of the tire. It may vary slightly from the following due to date codes etc. but you are looking for something on the side of the tire like 83B5HFA1712.
Happy travels!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by okietom View Post
That is an interesting comment since Discount Tire is who recommended and installed the LT tires. Also LT tires are standard on higher end Fifth Wheels mainly due to weight and not just accepting lowest bid.
I beg to differ. Discount Tire's recommendation is in the link I provided. Who recommended the LT tires to you was a guy who (guessing) has probably worked for DT for 2 months and couldn't even spell "tire" three months ago. Even if it was the manager of the store, he didn't follow Discount Tires recommendation.

I have a "higher end Fifth Wheel". It came with ST tires. I would be interested to know what RV you have found that comes with LT tires.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #79

Per my prior post, Mobile Suites, Redwoods and my brand new Dynamax Trilogy 3650RL, came with Good Year Unisteel G114's, 17.5 inch.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #80

From the Dynamax site:

Axles, Tires, & Brakes
  • 8,000 lb. Axles with 12" Brakes & Easy Lube Hubs
  • Aluminum Wheels
  • Goodyear 17.5" H Rated Tires (Models 3800 RL & 3850 RL)
  • Goodyear 16" G Rated Tires (Models 3650 RE & 3650 RL)
  • Full Size Spare Tire
Mobile Suites
Frame/Running Gear:
  • GoodyearŽ 17.5" H-Rated Re-Groovable Tires