Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #61

My trailer has this brand of tires on it.
For now I do not have a problem with that.
I do not run with them under or over inflated 65 PSI is on the sidewall and that is what I run them at.
IMHO most tire failures can be attributed to the owner.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
I had two blowouts on two separate occasions. The second caused thousands of dollars in damage. I did not file a complaint for either one. Why bother to file a complaint when FR/Palomino/Columbus has switched from Akuret to Westlake? My concern was for those who may have these time bombs on their trailers. There have been a couple of related threads, with way more than two reports of Akuret blowouts.
Recalls can result in people having defective or questionable parts replaced. Recalls will only happen if there are complaints filed which result in investigations.
Failing to file a complaint does nothing to increase the probability of having an investigation or recall so you are not addressing your "concern".

Only a small % of RV owners follow forums.

My point was that there may be a lot of "noise" on RV forums but only a small number of those complaining seem to really care enough to bother to file an actionable complaint that might result in action being taken.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #63
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windywest View Post
There are blowouts with all types of tires, but since this is a Forest River forum, and Akurets were one of their tires of choice for the past few years, Akurets will be seen with a more critical eye. Westlake tires are made in China, in reading some of the other RV forums, there is some pretty eye opening things said about Westlake as well. RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Westlake Tires

I wonder what plant makes the Westlake tires. Do you have a DOT serial?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #64
Always Learning

Akuret tire serial:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-767522211.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	41176
Old 10-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by okietom View Post
I have run LT tires for many years with zero problems, I can't count the number of bad ST tires I have had. Since the trailer was new I was going to give the ST's a fair chance but after a failure with less that 5000 miles on them I am not willing to roll the dice and end up with thousands in trailer damage due to Chinese junk. Besides the fact that if I have a choice I NEVER will buy a Chinese product over an American and there are no American made ST tires.
I just read that Kumho is opening a plant near Macon, GA, in 2016 or 2017. I hope they will be making their ST tires there. I previously had some Kumho 14-inch D-load trailer tires and liked them a lot. They'll be made by Americans but probably designed by Koreans.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #66

Akurets didn't make it

Well I was hoping to make it back to GA from MA without another issue. Not to be. At least I caught it this time before it totally blew. Tire pressure was at 78 PSI and I was approximately 1300 pounds under loaded capacity depending on whether you use the side wall or the previous downgraded capacity comments. I found that going to an LT was actually going to be less capacity so went with 4 Maxxis. (If you are in the greater Greensboro, NC area, Hall tire had a great deal on ST235/80 R16 at $143 per out the door.)
Thanks for the comments on NHTSA. That and Forest River through my local dealer start Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Failure.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	41363   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st FailureB.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	41364   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Failure A.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	41365   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Failure B.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	41366  
wheelmangg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #67

That's scary glad your ok
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #68

Tires are taken care of through their own warranty just like a car, Forest River can't really be of any help. Akuret warranty claims are handled through a third party called Lionshead, I talked to

Brenda Speicher
Warranty Manager
PH:574-533-6169
Fax: 574-533-6761

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelmangg View Post
Well I was hoping to make it back to GA from MA without another issue. Not to be. At least I caught it this time before it totally blew. Tire pressure was at 78 PSI and I was approximately 1300 pounds under loaded capacity depending on whether you use the side wall or the previous downgraded capacity comments. I found that going to an LT was actually going to be less capacity so went with 4 Maxxis. (If you are in the greater Greensboro, NC area, Hall tire had a great deal on ST235/80 R16 at $143 per out the door.)
Thanks for the comments on NHTSA. That and Forest River through my local dealer start Monday.
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #69

Is there any indication that they plan on paying for anything other than pro-rata share of tire life?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #70
Always Learning

Quote:
Tires are taken care of through their own warranty just like a car, Forest River can't really be of any help. Akuret warranty claims are handled through a third party called Lionshead, I talked to Brenda Speicher Warranty Manager PH:574-533-6169 Fax: 574-533-6761
X2
Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #71

I got lucky and noticed problem before it exploded, we were in Silverton, Colorado and as soon as we got to Albuquerque I had Discount Tire change all out for Bridgestone LT245/75/R16's. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind plus I can not afford thousands in repairs due to cheap tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Is there any indication that they plan on paying for anything other than pro-rata share of tire life?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #72

LT tires are not appropriate on an RV.

Discount Tire Trailer Tire Facts
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #73

It is all about the sidewalls.
Do you really want a tall trailer riding on soft sidewalls?

Quote:
There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you used to tow it. Therefore there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.
Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.
Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.
However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.
Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42XGGWdTDxHlYg
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #74

Not all LT tires are are the same. Goodyear Unisteel G114's are "H" rated and have a capacity of 4,800 pounds. These are 17.5 inch. You will find them on Dynamax Trilogy, Mobile Suites, Redwood, etc...all higher end coaches.

Many 16 inch LT tires are rated at lower capacity than some 16 inch "E" rated tires. If I was going to stick with 16's and ST's, it would be Maxxis.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #75

NHTSA and Akuret

Quote:
I got lucky and noticed problem before it exploded, we were in Silverton, Colorado and as soon as we got to Albuquerque I had Discount Tire change all out for Bridgestone LT245/75/R16's. It is a small price to pay for peace of mind plus I can not afford thousands in repairs due to cheap tires.
Were these Akurets? Did you report them to NHTSA? Someone is going to get hurt with these tires. I will post the NHTSA web link later today. These failures really need to be escalated.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #76

That is an interesting comment since Discount Tire is who recommended and installed the LT tires. Also LT tires are standard on higher end Fifth Wheels mainly due to weight and not just accepting lowest bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post

Discount Tire Trailer Tire Facts
Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #77

NHTSA Info

Just filed a complaint with NHTSA regarding the separate failures of two of my Akuret tires. This is the web site link.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Please do all of us travel trailer, RVers and our fellow travelers a service and if you have or have had failures of Akuret tires submit them to NHTSA. Make sure you have the DOT info from the side of the tire. It may vary slightly from the following due to date codes etc. but you are looking for something on the side of the tire like 83B5HFA1712.
Happy travels!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #78

Quote:
That is an interesting comment since Discount Tire is who recommended and installed the LT tires. Also LT tires are standard on higher end Fifth Wheels mainly due to weight and not just accepting lowest bid.
I beg to differ. Discount Tire's recommendation is in the link I provided. Who recommended the LT tires to you was a guy who (guessing) has probably worked for DT for 2 months and couldn't even spell "tire" three months ago. Even if it was the manager of the store, he didn't follow Discount Tires recommendation.

I have a "higher end Fifth Wheel". It came with ST tires. I would be interested to know what RV you have found that comes with LT tires.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #79

Per my prior post, Mobile Suites, Redwoods and my brand new Dynamax Trilogy 3650RL, came with Good Year Unisteel G114's, 17.5 inch.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #80

From the Dynamax site:

Axles, Tires, & Brakes
  • 8,000 lb. Axles with 12" Brakes & Easy Lube Hubs
  • Aluminum Wheels
  • Goodyear 17.5" H Rated Tires (Models 3800 RL & 3850 RL)
  • Goodyear 16" G Rated Tires (Models 3650 RE & 3650 RL)
  • Full Size Spare Tire
Mobile Suites
Frame/Running Gear:
  • Goodyear® 17.5" H-Rated Re-Groovable Tires