Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 568
Another Genesis question

Finally picked up my Sabre 32 RCTS yesterday. It was fairly clean of issues although there were and are a few. I will write in detail what we found so other buyesr can take advantage of that info.
My current issue was found while performing a through check out of the rig. On the Genysis 3.0 it seems that even though some of the speaker switches may be in the off position there is still some sound coming from them. For instance if I am playing a CD through speaker set "A" in the kitchen area and "B" & "C" are off you can still hear (and you can also feel the speaker vibrate if you touch it) what is playing through the "A" speakers. It is at a lower volume, almost like cross over but I would definitely not be playing any music inside during quiet hours as my neighbors would surely complain about hearing it. My dealer is going to replace the radio after we make a shakedown cruise but I am wondering:
1) Has anyone noticed this, you might want to take the time to check it out (remember the TV usually does not play through the unit. Try a CD)

2) I am wonder if it is an inherent design issue (That's bad)

3) I really hope Sabre used the correct speaker wire (gauge, shielding, etc) and I am not getting cross over. That would seem to be impossible to fix.


Any input is appreciated. The rig really is beautiful.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 235
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Finally picked up my Sabre 32 RCTS yesterday. It was fairly clean of issues although there were and are a few. I will write in detail what we found so other buyesr can take advantage of that info.
My current issue was found while performing a through check out of the rig. On the Genysis 3.0 it seems that even though some of the speaker switches may be in the off position there is still some sound coming from them. For instance if I am playing a CD through speaker set "A" in the kitchen area and "B" & "C" are off you can still hear (and you can also feel the speaker vibrate if you touch it) what is playing through the "A" speakers. It is at a lower volume, almost like cross over but I would definitely not be playing any music inside during quiet hours as my neighbors would surely complain about hearing it. My dealer is going to replace the radio after we make a shakedown cruise but I am wondering:
1) Has anyone noticed this, you might want to take the time to check it out (remember the TV usually does not play through the unit. Try a CD)

2) I am wonder if it is an inherent design issue (That's bad)

3) I really hope Sabre used the correct speaker wire (gauge, shielding, etc) and I am not getting cross over. That would seem to be impossible to fix.


Any input is appreciated. The rig really is beautiful.

Thanks
David: The only negative experience I am having with the Genesis 3.0 is the SD/USB slots do not display their information on the TV screen. We are currently awaiting the third radio for warranty replacement. One additional issue is the TV does not appear to play sound over the ceiling speakers. Still think the latter may be a wiring issue, but have not confirmed. I am NOT experiencing the sound bleed over on the two adjacent speaker lines. Keep us posted on your progress please. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
3) I really hope Sabre used the correct speaker wire (gauge, shielding, etc) and I am not getting cross over. That would seem to be impossible to fix.
Been my experience that un-shielded wire was used to run the speakers. In fact it is the same wire used to run the trailer lights as I am finding out.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 568
Other news

Spoke to Tech Support at Genesis. Was told there should be no bleed through. It might be a defective unit or the polarity of the speakers might be wrong. Seems to me getting the polarity wrong on 9 speakers is sort of doubtful. Since I just got my unit have not been able to investigate but should be easy enough to take a look at the wire and see what is up and what type of wire they used.

About seeing the SD/USB slots on the TV, I didn't even know you could do that. Will be interesting to play with.

About getting the TV sound through the surround sound. Many have complained about this but I have not seen a fix. You would need to take audio out from the TV and into the Genisis or the TV input into the Genisis and video back out to the TV. A good quality sound bar might be the answer. For DVD I would hook up an HDMI cable, might get a better picture. This isn't rocket science. We do all this in our homes all the time......

As far as I am concerned my system is inoperable the way it is and I plan on making every attempt to get FR to fix. What good is a system that plays through all speakers all the time.

Good luck guys, please post any solutions. By the way I downloaded a 37 page manual for the system. Said it was for a Heartland RV but there cannot be much, if any difference. If anyone wants a copy let me know and I can PM you.
__________________
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
There is an HDMI out only in the rear of the Genesis 3.

To get audio into the Genesis 3 there are input pigtails in the rear as well.

There is an optical input as well as a coax audio input (depending on your TV's audio output scheme). Yes you will need to buy and run these connections (comes stock set up for composite with stereo).

Using the HDMI will get you a high def DVD signal (720p) to your TV and the optical will get you surround sound from broadcast if your TV supports it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZX-800 connections.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	35698  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT-3.0-5-4.pdf (1.89 MB, 18 views)
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 20
Optical Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
There is an HDMI out only in the rear of the Genesis 3.

To get audio into the Genesis 3 there are input pigtails in the rear as well.

There is an optical input as well as a coax audio input (depending on your TV's audio output scheme). Yes you will need to buy and run these connections (comes stock set up for composite with stereo).

Using the HDMI will get you a high def DVD signal (720p) to your TV and the optical will get you surround sound from broadcast if your TV supports it.
I hooked the TV up to the Genesis 3.0 via the Optical input and it sounds worse than the stereo analog input. I hear hiss and other electrical noise and have tried to determine where it is coming from. It happens when connecting the optical to the tv or even a media player. Even with all lights and other electrical equipment off the noise persists. I have a message into Bob Fields and he is checking with tech support at this time.
__________________
2013 Rockwood 8329ss
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x2 5.7L
BMWPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPilot View Post
I hooked the TV up to the Genesis 3.0 via the Optical input and it sounds worse than the stereo analog input. I hear hiss and other electrical noise and have tried to determine where it is coming from. It happens when connecting the optical to the tv or even a media player. Even with all lights and other electrical equipment off the noise persists. I have a message into Bob Fields and he is checking with tech support at this time.
Wow, you would think the optical connection would be pretty clear.

I see a TV/radio fight brewing. They are gonna ask you to try a different optical audio source for sure (maybe a different cable too).
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Wow, you would think the optical connection would be pretty clear.

I see a TV/radio fight brewing. They are gonna ask you to try a different optical audio source for sure (maybe a different cable too).
I would agree with you if I had only tried using the cheap factory supplied 32" TV as the source However in trying to determine where the problem lies I tried a different optical source. I first used the Television where I got whining and hiss and then I used a media player that I use to play movies from my media collecation and I got hiss and data pops when the unit would read from the USB drive.

The optical cable is fiber so either it will work or not work.
__________________
2013 Rockwood 8329ss
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x2 5.7L
BMWPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPilot View Post
I first used the Television where I got whining and hiss and then I used a media player that I use to play movies from my media collection and I got hiss and data pops when the unit would read from the USB drive.

The optical cable is fiber so either it will work or not work.
Per the instructions the USB drive is only good for VERY small video files (much over 50K bandwidth will get bogged down)so in effect won't handle full length "movies" AT ALL. It is for showing thumb drive photos and does a pretty good job at that. It will play MP3 files, too.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Per the instructions the USB drive is only good for VERY small video files (much over 50K bandwidth will get bogged down)so in effect won't handle full length "movies" AT ALL. It is for showing thumb drive photos and does a pretty good job at that. It will play MP3 files, too.

Correct. I did not use the USB drive to play the media file. I used a digital Media Player with HDMI out to the TV and the Optical to the 3.0
__________________

__________________
2013 Rockwood 8329ss
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x2 5.7L
BMWPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.