Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #21

Outside Speakers

Just picked up my new Columbus 320RS and we are on our first trip. I checked out everything and understand all switches, TV/Home Theater settings. The only thing that I can't figure out is how to run my iPod through the outdoor speakers. It looks like it is set up for it but when I plug it in and set the system to AUX, nothing happens. Anybody have any ideas on how this works? I also could not find any instructions for the outside system.
Other than that, we are loving the new Columbus.

Thanks
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #22

Are you plugging it into the USB port on the right side of the basement?
When I first plugged my iPod in there, I had to turn up the volume on my iPod, then on the stereo unit in the basement.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #23

I tried everything but an iPod will just not work on the outside stereo. It only accepts a memory stick with MP3 songs. I will just have to copy songs from my iPod to the memory stick when i want to use the outside system.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #24

I also have a 3.5 mm plug that works when I use my iPod in the outside radio in the basement.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
tlc

Bike Rack Question

We purchased a new Columbus 320RS...We had our first trip Easter. We love the RV, but were wondering if anyone has tried the bike rack. Our 26" standard bikes don't fit correctly between the slots. Even though we thought we had them stable and secure with straps. We almost lost them on a busy interstate....very scary.

Thanks for your help!
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
We purchased a new Columbus 320RS...We had our first trip Easter. We love the RV, but were wondering if anyone has tried the bike rack. Our 26" standard bikes don't fit correctly between the slots. Even though we thought we had them stable and secure with straps. We almost lost them on a busy interstate....very scary.

Thanks for your help!
-----

Well, as a matter of fact...yes, we have noticed that. I thought perhaps OUR 26" bikes were non-standard.

And, while we had ours chained so we couldn't fully "lose" them, it bent the upright pole back and came very close to coming loose and dragging the bikes behind the trailer.

We've since simply laid the bikes down and strapped them down flat which works OK, but certainly defeats the purpose of adding on a "bike rack".

I'd be interested to know if Christopher Columbus has any thoughts or comments on this apparent flaw or issue.

In the grand scheme of things, I love everything else about our Columbus so much this isn't a major issue to me. We'll certainly work around it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #27

Going camping this weekend and we plan on taking our bikes also. We have a Columbus 320 and I hope that I will be able to figure out a way to carry them in an upright position. Thanks for advising this forum about the bike rack problem now we can deal with it before we leave.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
Thanks for advising this forum about the bike rack problem now we can deal with it before we leave.
Be sure to let us know if your bikes fit better than ours did.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post

Thanks for your help!
I think my 2012 Sabre 31 RETS-6 has the same bike rack. I don't know how they came up with this design or what bicycle they used to design it but I have never seen a bicycle with wheels this far apart. What I did was mount two bike fork blocks on a piece of wood. Don't use wood screws to attach the fork blocks, after a 500 mile trip with the bounce back there (and there is a lot of bounce back there), the wood screws had almost pulled out. Prior to the return trip I attached them to the board with bolts, lock washers, lock nuts, they stayed in place then.
I have to take the front wheels off and store them in the basement but this is all I can come up with until I have time to figure out something better. After my warranty runs out I may take the rack off completely and weld a 2" receiver hitch to the frame and use my Swagman rack.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #30

OK so i thought it was me with the bike rack!! Never thought to lay them down. Not the best way to transport -- but it can be done, I guess!! Now the yaks!!!! going to try something this weekend (put them over the cab of the truck) and if it works i will post pictures!!! Will drive me batty if I have to rent yaks! Mine is all set for me!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #31

We also bought our first rv at the Houston RV show in February. Wish we would have thought about the leveling system. When we went to get ours in April it came without the toppers we ordered so the dealer had to get them shipped to add them on. The panel for the tanks did not work so we sat while they were brought in from Katy then when we went to leave they forgot to put the brakes on so the nice kid stayed and added them. Took our first trip to Lake Livingston and noticed the table had come loose and the floor was spongy right next to the table. So we made our list of problems and took it back to the dealer. They noticed we had a leak on the black tank and have replaced it once and now they say that one is leaking so they are awaiting another tank to try it again. They fixed the toppers, table and other minor things and run new wire for the satellite so hopefully it will work now. They are addressing the floor - two others on the lot are the same and the loud a/c unit in the bedroom. Hopefully all will be done so we can take our trip the end of the month. It takes forever when you take it back to get things done. We love it though and want to go again - can't wait.
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #32
"On the road again"

Sure hate to hear about all your problems. We've had a few, but we left the unit at the dealer for a week and they had every item fixed to our complete satisfaction. Hopefully you have as good of a dealer as I do - and, from previous history I know that Forest River stands behind their products and will help to get your issues fixed.

We're looking forward to our next week-long trip - coming up the end of this month.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisbell View Post
We also bought our first rv at the Houston RV show in February. Wish we would have thought about the leveling system. When we went to get ours in April it came without the toppers we ordered so the dealer had to get them shipped to add them on. The panel for the tanks did not work so we sat while they were brought in from Katy then when we went to leave they forgot to put the brakes on so the nice kid stayed and added them. Took our first trip to Lake Livingston and noticed the table had come loose and the floor was spongy right next to the table. So we made our list of problems and took it back to the dealer. They noticed we had a leak on the black tank and have replaced it once and now they say that one is leaking so they are awaiting another tank to try it again. They fixed the toppers, table and other minor things and run new wire for the satellite so hopefully it will work now. They are addressing the floor - two others on the lot are the same and the loud a/c unit in the bedroom. Hopefully all will be done so we can take our trip the end of the month. It takes forever when you take it back to get things done. We love it though and want to go again - can't wait.
We haven't been able to get the satellite signal to the bedroom or the basement. I think it has to do with a splitter. For right now we are bringing a cable into the window in the bedroom. (it is listed on warranty work) We don't have much to be done ...........

Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #34

If anyone has a springy floor like we do, I just talked to the factory rep and he said they have a fix for it. They gave our dealer the fix and hopefully it will be done this week. The factory rep was very nice and even told me to tell the dealer that they need to get in touch dometic about the loud a/c in the bedroom - there is a fix for that also. I have called dealer and told them this info so hopefully they can get the kit from Dometic and get the a/c a littler more quiet.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #35

I would like to know about the fix for the loud a/c in the bedroom!! No springy floor ......... do have what they call a floating floor. But no trouble at all with it! But again would like to know about the fix for it!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisbell
If anyone has a springy floor like we do, I just talked to the factory rep and he said they have a fix for it. They gave our dealer the fix and hopefully it will be done this week. The factory rep was very nice and even told me to tell the dealer that they need to get in touch dometic about the loud a/c in the bedroom - there is a fix for that also. I have called dealer and told them this info so hopefully they can get the kit from Dometic and get the a/c a littler more quiet.
Our springy floor is on the carpet between table and theater seating. The guy at the factory said some domestic a/cs need a fix of bushings and a plate. Hopefully that will help. Will keep you posted. Ours roars in the hall and I woke up so much I needed earplugd
Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #37
"On the road again"

With our Columbus we have our first bedroom A/C - and it does seem a bit loud, so I'd really be interested in learning what the fix is for that...and whether it's something I can do or if it has to go into the dealer.

Can you share once you find out?

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #38

Sure will let you know. I goggled the problem and here is what one guy said who is from Arlington, TX. This might help you.
As promised I am reporting on our Dometic A/C repair.

All is well !!!

I finally found an RV service shop in Denton, Tx that has some techs who are very experienced, knowledgeable and proactive. They attacked the problem with success as the result. Based on our experience, anyone who is having noise and vibration problems with their Dometic A/C’s can stop by and are very likely to depart 3 hours later with normal A/C sounds and no abnormal, irritating noise / vibration.

If you need help, contact Barry Ernest, Ron Carlsen, or the service tech, Roger Crawford at Best Value RV & Sales, 7201 N I-35, Denton, Tx - 940-387-2878.

We didn’t need to, but if you are full-timer and your repair takes longer than a couple of hours, you can stay in your rv overnight at their shop. There’s also an rv park about 10 miles away that has lots of easy-access, 90’ pull-thru sites -- McClain’s Campsite in Sanger, Tx

McClains Campsite, McClain's Campsite Sanger, TX Home
the RV A/C's were making lots of noise and driving us nuts... I decoded to find someone who could help me fix the problem and Best Value rv repair in Denton was highly recommended. They added an additional gasket to keep the compressor bolts from banging on the roof plus a couple of other fixes and now the A/c's are normal sounding. Normal in this case isn't perfect but we can at least hear the TV.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #39

We only have the one A/C in the TV room and its so noisey I have to have the surround sound on and pretty loud, maybe that can be quieted down too?????
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #40

Basement Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
I tried everything but an iPod will just not work on the outside stereo. It only accepts a memory stick with MP3 songs. I will just have to copy songs from my iPod to the memory stick when i want to use the outside system.
Are you still having problems with your radio? If its the little 3 inch round job, it can be looked up on line at www.prospecelectronics.com and its a MILPRV-15. I had trouble with mine and took the top step off today and checked things out in back and found this info and they have some things on line that may help you.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie